Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I know is pre 1965 dimes and quarters. I didn't read anything about nickles or dollars or whatnot. Anyone have any experience with these already?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I do :) I have a lot of silver coins, you are right with dimes and quarters pre 65, so 64 and older are all 90% silver
Half dollars were 90% silver from 64 and older, but were 40%silver from 65-70.
Silver dollars from 35 and earlier are 90% silver.

There were only a few years of "war" nickels that were silver from 1942-1945. During the war they did this because they used the copper for ammo.

They also made Steel Cents for a year or two if I'm not mistaken.

If you are buying silver coins from ebay, make sure that you check out the website coinflation.com they have silver calculators. 1oz of silver is NOT the same as 1 Troy ounce. It is actually less than a Troy ounce.

A rule of thumb is $1.50 in face value 90% silver coins=just over a Troy ounce. I think an ounce of coins is 90% of a troy ounce and at 90% silver you lose a lot of money buying it this way. And make sure to look at current silver prices as the markets are very volatile.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I actually just got 7.00 in face value of silver dimes that a customer used to buy a pack of cigarettes with...their loss, my gain!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, please take me back to the 80's so I can go to bank to bank saying I'm a video game person cashing in dollar bills for coins! I'd be rich!

I'm sure the bank coins are all thumbed through already.

Good score on the pack of cigs that the guy bought. HAHA!

·
Registered
693 Posts
When you go to the bank, just ask them if anybody has turned in any half dollars, I've heard you can have decent success with those...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good thread. I told my local vending machine guy that I would give him x # of dollars to sort though his coins, he's an older man and he doesn't car about selling these. So my gain!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Very good idea, especially in older parts of towns, the gas station I work at is in the oldest part of town and all the fuddy duddies (no harm meant by that) come in and chat me up, sometimes for hours, and we get on all sorts of topics. I have about 5-6 of them who if they find silver coins will bring them to me first before the coinstore!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a website that lists what the coins go for or do you just go by the price of what silver is bringing right now?

·
Registered
693 Posts
www.coinflation.com has the precious metal content listed. Rule of thumb, $1.50 in face value of 90% silver is just a shade over 1 troy ounce (which is what silver value is measured in). If you are ebaying, make sure if you buy an Ounce for the value of silver today, that you but one TROY ounce, or else you are getting screwed out of 10% of your money.

Ebay sales advertise 1oz of silver in hopes you think it is one troy ounce and thus they make more money. If silver is 35.00 a troy ounce, they will try and sell an ounce for 35.00. But an ounce is roughly 10% less silver then a Troy ounce. So just keep that in mind!

But yeah, coinflation.com is a great site!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just an FYI silver is at 31.50ish an ounce this is the lowest since about the first week of January, so it'd be a good time to go pick up a few ounces!!! I know I will!

·
Registered
292 Posts
ratherbpreppin said:
All I know is pre 1965 dimes and quarters. I didn't read anything about nickles or dollars or whatnot. Anyone have any experience with these already?
I made this list for the back of my business cards, print it out and keep in your wallet. people say it does help

.999% Pure Silver Bullion: ALL WILL BE MARKED .999 FINE SILVER
-Silver Eagles (1 troy oz)
-Generic Rounds and Bars (from 10th oz to 1 troy oz)

90% Pure Silver Coins:
-Barbara/Mercury/Roosevelt Dimes Pre-1965 (0.0723 troy oz)
-Barbara/Liberty/Washington Quarters Pre-1965 (0.1808 troy oz)
-Barbara/Liberty/Franklin/Kennedy Half Dollar only-1964 (0.3617 troy oz)
-Morgan/Peace Dollar (0.7735 troy oz)

40% Pure Silver Coins:
-Jefferson "War" Nickel 1942-1945 (0.0563 troy oz) actually 35% pure
-Kennedy Half Dollar 1965-1970 (0.1479 troy oz)
-Eisenhower Dollar 1971-1976 ( ONLY the ones with "S" MINT MARK 0.3162 troy oz)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do :) I have a lot of silver coins, you are right with dimes and quarters pre 65, so 64 and older are all 90% silver
Half dollars were 90% silver from 64 and older, but were 40%silver from 65-70.
Silver dollars from 35 and earlier are 90% silver.

There were only a few years of "war" nickels that were silver from 1942-1945. During the war they did this because they used the copper for ammo.

They also made Steel Cents for a year or two if I'm not mistaken.

If you are buying silver coins from ebay, make sure that you check out the website coinflation.com they have silver calculators. 1oz of silver is NOT the same as 1 Troy ounce. It is actually less than a Troy ounce.

A rule of thumb is $1.50 in face value 90% silver coins=just over a Troy ounce. I think an ounce of coins is 90% of a troy ounce and at 90% silver you lose a lot of money buying it this way. And make sure to look at current silver prices as the markets are very volatile.
This is good info. You seem to know a lot about coins.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I know enough to be dangerous is all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone has a question on what they have just post it here and you will get an answer.
Modern commemorative silver dollars are also 90% silver like the old Morgan and Peace dollars. They contain .7736 oz of pure silver.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello all,

I've been a collector of scrap silver and gold Coins for years, I haunt the local Flea markets, Pawn shops and want ads in Local Papers when folks are broke they will sell cheap or at better $$$ than Listed! I dio Trades and deals for Military Surplus Gun Parts and stuff folks need, never had any Issue finding or affoarding them, gold not as easy as silver but still possible! One needs only top Plan and try, Good Luck and Good collecting!

Ron L here

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've always been a fan of the seated liberty type coins,and the Barber series since I was a kid,and I especially like Carson City minted coinage,but I've been out of the collecting game for a while.I now just look out for modern issue silver at the bank and in change and last year found several rolls of '64 90% kennedy's and 40% post 64's at the bank.It does still exist in circulation but it's a lot harder to find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could also invest in a few American Silver Eagles. They are also officially recognized currency if only a dollar. You will pay a slightly higher premium for them but some of the websites I have read do suggest them because they are 1 oz .999 silver making it very easy keep track of. I suspect if anything does go down to where you will need to barter those who are not familiar with them now will become familliar with them quickly. They are also very common for bullion coins. I think they minted 36 million in 2012.

I started buying silver about six months ago and decided to do both pre-1965 stuff and Silver eagles along witha few oddities to kind of hedge my bets.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts