Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
My preferential coin is the $5-$10 or $20 canadian maple leaf in silver. There are many varieties of them; but the $20 right now is going almost $30 an ounce on ebay (too much for my liking). Apmex is where I've ordered from online. Even the $5 coin which can usually be had at $2/$3 over spot gives you a little better deflationary protection - which is why I like the $20 coin so much.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I either go to local coin shop or online from Modern Coin Mart. They will sell small lots with free shipping. The price over spot is a bit high but with free shipping it evens out. I prefer the local coin shop but silver rounds are rare these days. For coins the Canadians are my favorite.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There a few reputable PM dealers that I have used, or can recommend:

APMEX
Provident
Silver Towne
Monarch
Amagi
JM Bullion
Westminster Mint

I cannot recommend MCM if you live in Florida as they charge sales tax under $500.

I cannot recommend Northwest Territorial Mint as their shipping times are 2-3 months if you're lucky.

·
Registered
303 Posts
There a few reputable PM dealers that I have used, or can recommend:

APMEX
Provident
Silver Towne
Monarch
Amagi
JM Bullion
Westminster Mint

I cannot recommend MCM if you live in Florida as they charge sales tax under $500.

I cannot recommend Northwest Territorial Mint as their shipping times are 2-3 months if you're lucky.
Good point on the sales tax. LCS doesn't charge that either.

·
Super Moderator
8,593 Posts
APMEX is who I use. There prices are decent and the turn around time is good. I buy from here simple because I can buy easily online at a time that is good for me.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Local coin dealer, just like I buy my guns_from a neighborhood dealer. Both beat the online dealers. I do not know why anyone would risk a long distance pissing contest. Travel little, see what you are buying and go home happy.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Anyone deal with Independent Living Bullion?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Right now, with precious metals prices held artificially high (remember the housing bubble?) is not the best time to buy silver or gold.
I have never bought for more than spot price - never and I never will. I have paid less than spot price but not often. The dealers get paid twice; the pay less than spot price and sell for over spot price. Some will deal others won't but you can find PMs for spot and sometimes less than spot by staying clear of brokers who charge at both ends.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You make it sound like its wrong to make a buck? I would venture to guess a dealer has serious property costs, security, power, and labor bills to pay? Should a broker not make a living?

Right now, with precious metals prices held artificially high (remember the housing bubble?) is not the best time to buy silver or gold.
I have never bought for more than spot price - never and I never will. I have paid less than spot price but not often. The dealers get paid twice; the pay less than spot price and sell for over spot price. Some will deal others won't but you can find PMs for spot and sometimes less than spot by staying clear of brokers who charge at both ends.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Ripon,
As a former business owner, I assure you that I know any businessman needs to make money. That is why they buy below the spot price. You can buy internationally at the spot price so why pay a broker above that price? A good broker will see a devalued or deflated price and buy as much as he can at the low price. That way the profit is "built in" when you sell it at a higher spot price later on. If a broker buys when the price is high and it drops then he is either not very good at his job or he has to deal with the market just like all the other businesses out there.
If one store sells a gallon of brand "A" milk for $5 a gallon and another stores sells a gallon of brand "A" milk for $3.75 why would you pay $5 / gallon? Some people do - even when they are sold side by side - but I would rather pay less for the same thing. There are a lot of businesses that pay for "premium" brand name supplies for there product's manufacture. They do it for "bragging rights" and because when they mark up the price of supplies to make their product the 50% markup of the higher cost parts means more profit. I bought parts to build my products too but I found quality parts that were manufactured for the "brand name" suppliers that were the same quality at a quarter the price. The were just missing the re-stamp of the supplier. I made good money, supplied a quality product, and stood behind it even after the warranty period.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Can you share a link with me (if you don't want to post please PM me) of where I can buy currency based coins at spot?

Ripon,
As a former business owner, I assure you that I know any businessman needs to make money. That is why they buy below the spot price. You can buy internationally at the spot price so why pay a broker above that price? A good broker will see a devalued or deflated price and buy as much as he can at the low price. That way the profit is "built in" when you sell it at a higher spot price later on. If a broker buys when the price is high and it drops then he is either not very good at his job or he has to deal with the market just like all the other businesses out there.
If one store sells a gallon of brand "A" milk for $5 a gallon and another stores sells a gallon of brand "A" milk for $3.75 why would you pay $5 / gallon? Some people do - even when they are sold side by side - but I would rather pay less for the same thing. There are a lot of businesses that pay for "premium" brand name supplies for there product's manufacture. They do it for "bragging rights" and because when they mark up the price of supplies to make their product the 50% markup of the higher cost parts means more profit. I bought parts to build my products too but I found quality parts that were manufactured for the "brand name" suppliers that were the same quality at a quarter the price. The were just missing the re-stamp of the supplier. I made good money, supplied a quality product, and stood behind it even after the warranty period.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used to buy from California Numismatics because they had good shipping. I have not purchased for several years, as I was fortunate enough to get my metal needs covered just as the price shot up. Usually, I do the opposite with my investments.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I used to buy from California Numismatics because they had good shipping. I have not purchased for several years, as I was fortunate enough to get my metal needs covered just as the price shot up. Usually, I do the opposite with my investments.
This is who I will be going to, They are just down in Inglewood so I will drive down and pick it up..... Thinking of buying their 500 Canadian Maple leaf bulk box.
The wife came into some money and I just want to have some more silver sitting around just in case.

Doc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts