Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my entire family strongly believes that "government knows best" and that I'm a "degenerate nutcase" (actual words used) for thinking otherwise. They completely stopped talking to me because I mentioned prepping, and why I think it's really important. They said "we can't be associated with you if you're gonna talk all that nonsense" and turned up their FOX news so I couldn't say anything else. I'm just feeling really sad and lonely right now. Anyone else have to deal with this type of shit??

·
Registered
303 Posts
Full disclosure - I am not a full-fledged prepper but I have gotten some strange comments from family about handgun purchases, ammunition, food storage etc. I am doing what I think is right for my family. So now I just keep quiet and they have moved on to gossiping and criticizing something else. I am not sure if keeping a low profile is the best advice but it's all I have. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You will see the term OPSEC used here from time to time. It's an old military term meaning Operational Security. You will find it's probably best to keep your activities close to the vest until you can identify those around you who may have a similar mind set.

It's tough when it comes to family.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My family isn't that far off. They live in a candy coated world, and can't see past the sugary colored surface. The reality is lots of people can't simply deal with truly looking at the world we live in and acknowledging how much of edge it teeters on. A prepper is just someone who sees it and would rather prepare a bit if it falls off. We all have people in our lives that want to live in the candy coated world. I found in time to stop discussing it with them and take it careful with who to discuss certain things with. You'll find some like minds, but probably not many in most fields of people. Just don't let them stop you from doing what you feel is right to do.

:)

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
BrightStars, I feel for you. There's few thing worse than being shunned, especially by those you love.

Maybe you need to get a little more low-key with your preps. Don't try to convince anyone that you are doing the right thing. If you see that there is a real danger, do what you can without involving them.

You can talk to us though. Hell, we are pretty much all degenerate nutcases. :)

I would say that we won't judge you, but after seeing what you went through so far on this forum, that wouldn't mean much. I will, however, say that I haven't judged you and am here if you need someone to listen.

Keep the faith. Trust your intuition. Do what you feel is right.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I can't imagine Oakland being a place to hold out in when things go to crap. First place to start to me would be finding a place to bugout to, good gear and rig (B.O.B.)to bugout with, and who you can rely on otherwise. No need to mention anything more to your family. People don't often change in my experience.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
That has to hurt and I'm sorry that your family made you feel this way. I approached my own family with it pretty stealthily, but had to wait for the right time. And I played on my wife's sympathies; our grandchildren and children. I didn't bring an apocalyptic view, or some SHTF kind of thing. I kept it simple and used the potential for weather related events, making sure everyone was warm, comfortable and fed. I have and always have had firearms, so that was nothing new. I've always enjoyed the outdoors, so "camping equipment" was nothing new. I was able to just kind of sneak things through in plain sight. They said "There's dad with more camping stuff...anyone seen the X-Box controller?" Meanwhile, I was going "Cool new toy for prepping."

When it comes to prepping, I take it in context with my job; During an emergency, if I walk to where I'm going and remain calm, people don't take much notice, "must not be anything too serious" and they go back to what they're doing. If I run to where I'm going and appear worried, concerned or scared, EVERYBODY takes notice, "holy crap, what's going on over there" and become spectators. Then they get excited and it snowballs.

I want a "hmm" reaction, not "Holy Crap! Look over there!" when it comes to my prepping.

Give your family some time. Maybe a couple of months, and then lightly breach the subject again. But wait for an innocuous moment, refer to some event, "hope they were prepared for this" kind of comment and move on. Some people get it, some never will.

Have a better day.

Reactions: longrider

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Yup, I did what bigdogbuc did and got my wife not to criticize what I am doing. We live in tornado alley and this is the reason my wife is tolerant with prepping.

As someone once said "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Good advice.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am so lucky to have a wife that is behind me 100%, my sister used to call me a nutjob for making sure I was prepared for any emergency not just SHTF. My BIL started talking to me about it and now they have much more stuff then I do, They have a great BOL that would be easy to secure with the neighbors as their BOL property is right between 2 mountains with only 1 way in and out and if needed they could defend the bridge with ease.

On another note, My brother was a voting Democrat and after the last 5 years of Obummer he has switched sides and will never vote for another Dumocrat and has started prepping....

Doc

·
Registered
257 Posts
My family doesn't necessarily understand my desire to prep, but as they say I've always been kinda "out there" since I was little. So they've come to expect me to be anything but normal lol But the last time my mom and one of my sisters visited me (I live across the country), I showed them just a little of what I've been doing, in the terms of my food and water stores and BOB. My mom just nodded her head and went about her day, my sister joked about how I was ready for the zombies. The fact is this isn't something I can force them to do also, but I've gotten my dad on board with keeping extra food and basic supplies on hand. But they know that in any emergency, I'll do anything I can for them, no matter if there's so much distance between us.

My husband is also slowly coming around, but he'd rather "invest" his money in new video games!

·
Registered
425 Posts
In my second round of shunning... First was when I became a Christian (in opposition to remaining merely religious as are most everyone else I know) and the second for getting ready for some u foreseen event (see, can't even call it prepping).

Of course, my track record of being right, and a decade or more ahead of the curve on big cultural issues like this is bewildering to many of them.

They have no clue as to how I could accurately predict most every major move and resultant societal backlash from the actions of our President or world affairs. They can't see how the God they claim to trust in faith could (or would) actually call someone out to serve Him, and how all indicators point to a need for preps sooner rather than later.

So, I just press on and when they finally start seeing the light I remind them of what I said before it was cool and hip to say it...

·
Registered
438 Posts
So, my entire family strongly believes that "government knows best" and that I'm a "degenerate nutcase" (actual words used) for thinking otherwise. They completely stopped talking to me because I mentioned prepping, and why I think it's really important. They said "we can't be associated with you if you're gonna talk all that nonsense" and turned up their FOX news so I couldn't say anything else. I'm just feeling really sad and lonely right now. Anyone else have to deal with this type of shit??
I think it's important to point out all of the components of daily life that can really be classified as prepping.

For instance, keeping a full pantry. Does your family eat out or shop daily? Of course not. So logically then they prepare for a certain period of time.

Does your family keep flashlights under the kitchen sink or candles in case of a power outage? If they didn't on some level agree with the concept of being prepared, they wouldn't.

What about an emergency plan? Families everywhere put together detailed plans for fires. There are tons of people who put "Tot finder" stickers in their windows so fire fighters know where to find the kids. Is that not preparedness?

Even in the public school system tornado and fire drills are conducted.

To me, there are tons of aspects of daily life that I consider prepping. The real question is how far do you want to take it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you guys for the support. The thing is though, I didn't even say that I stock up on food, guns, etc (I don't...and I've never even seen a gun in real life before). I guess it was just the mere notion that I don't agree with the government, and we shouldn't rely on them for anything, that was enough to be basically disowned

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Often in this world you must take your own path.
Question is do you have the courage to do it?

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
461 Posts
Most of my family is conservative, and just understand the prepping idea even thought most arn't into it. Its the liberals I have found that turn up their noses and think govt knows best. I have never been chastised for being a "light prepper" (I brose the forums when im at work) but I do get a little ribbing from some of my shipmates when i'm on watch. Out at the Smokepit the Navy guys and I talk about it all the time though... we understand the necessity.

As for OPSEC, it is relatively easy to articulate "light prepping" for natural disasters for such events like Katrina, Sandy, Earthquakes, flooding etc.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.