Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've often heard it said war plans are great until the battle begins, then everything changes. I wonder sometimes if that is what will happen if/when the SHTF? Say you have that perfect bug out location scoped out, and the big day finally arrives, only you find a few hundred other people also had it as their perfect BOL, Now what?
Say your idea is to just to stay put on your own land, only you wake up to find your land has overnight become a tent city? Never going to happen? What if electric across the world shuts down, due to a massive solar flare? Millions of people live in cities. People got to eat, drink, need to have sanitation, shelter, what happens when the cities become unlivable for people? If government, or better yet, law and order completely falls apart, think of all the guns and ammo stockpiled in every gun store and such, who is going to get that? We could very easy have outlaws roaming around taking whatever they want, very very heavy armed outlaws.
I know a lot of us plan on doing a lot of hunting for some of our food, there is plenty of game everywhere, but how about when everyone starts shooting game for food? How long before it isn't quite so easy to pluck a couple squirrels for dinner, or anything else?
Just a few things that I think of from time to time, I hope none of us ever have to find out what will really happen when the SHTF.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A perfect plan is nothing more than that.....a plan. While important, one should at least have a backup plan or two! I don't have all the answers, and you bring up a very valid point. The only thing I know for sure is that if there's gonna be a problem, it's going to be a problem with other people. How we deal with these people is going to be the tricky part.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If its total collapse and cars don't run i'm pretty darn safe from the city folk.. Tent city in my yard.. Nope.. My dogs wake me up when i deer wonders through the yard.. Imagine the noise of two or more trying to set up a tent. There are less defended folks around they will be more comfy elsewhere..

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Exactly. Just being out traveling at all your such an easy target. And people can hear / track the location of a single gun shot FAAARRRRRR easier than you might be thinking.

Here you are (either on your property, or out traveling) and WOOOOT! You just got a deer! "I can eat on this for weeks!" in the time it takes you to gut it you'll have people sneaking up on you who heard the shot a mile away. Try to cook or worse yet, smoke all that meat and people will smell it from a mile away. Starving or not I'd follow that smell!

Same problems apply to about any live game. And for God's sake don't build a fire to cook it at night! EVERYONE will see that. The smell of the smoke will go for miles. And the remains of the fire even after your gone will tell people how far you are away if you don't hide it well.

If S Hits TF, no matter how well you might be doing at home or on the road, others will be in bad shape. Their only choice is to become predators.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Talk about plans not going right. Some people not so far from me had food, water, camping gear, etc stored in a shed in their yard. 2004 when Jeanne came threw they got a down draft which flattened their shed.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Given what I said in the last post. I honestly believe with all my heart things will NEVER be allowed to go that far. At least not for more than a very short time. There are waaaaaayyyy to many interested parties in the profit of controlling us! For any number of people to be out attempting to live on wild game, fend for themselves and such your talking about NO military or government having control over you. That's just NOT REALISTIC imo. As an individual your being allowed to do it. In any kind of numbers, those who control the masses are loosing money from it. That will NOT be tolerated.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Devil's advocate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Devil's advocate (disambiguation).

In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with, for the sake of debate. In taking this position, the individual taking on the devil's advocate role seeks to engage others in an argumentative discussion process. The purpose of such process is typically to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure, and to use such information to either improve or abandon the original, opposing position. It can also refer to someone who takes a stance that is seen as unpopular or unconventional, but is actually another way of arguing a much more conventional stance.

This is what I am trying to do with this post, what happens when all of our plans go haywire? I know it easy to imagine a few evil people you need to run from your property, but what if those "evil people" turn out to be some starving old woman with a couple small children she picked up along the way and she is only trying to save them and herself from dying? Still going to be easy to put the dogs on them? I worry sometimes, if we are not very careful, we become the very thing we see as evil, where is the line between marauding gangs and we, and our friends and family groups only interesting in helping a protecting our own? Who do we turn away, let starve? Who do we share what we have? Who do we trust?
Again, my purpose is just to hopefully invoke a few thoughts when/if the poop meets the fan. We need to survive, but we also need to remain humans.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
What if your plans are that nothing will go right, and when something actually does go right you can view it as a good thing. Beats planning for things to go a certain way and being disappointed when they don't. In first instance one is open to all possibilities, in the latter one is hobbled with preconceived notions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One thing in favor of those who are prepared is that in areas where the Winters are cold there will be many people who wouldn't make it through it. Frankly I sincerely hope that it never happens but believe everyone should be prepared just in case.
I'm with you.. I do pray that SHTF never comes.. BUT if it does i am counting on our -40 winters to thin out the roaming crazies. Yes i am putting a lot of hope in if something happens it will be cold. Well If something happens it will eventually be cold. I have enough fire wood stored up for three years worth if all i use if fire wood.. Every week till something happens i am adding wood to it as i clean fence lines to make money..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Would you rather turn away a unknown lady and kids or, Take them in get to know them then realize that SHTF and its not going away any time soon and you don't have the preps to continue feeding them and your own family. Now you are forced to send away folks you have got to know say a week, a month six months or longer and now that they are out there they tell everyone that you have preps.. Myself, i need to stay firm on my plans.. No outsiders..

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hmm, another thought on being the warm hearted good citizen we'd all LIKE to be in a bad situation.

Old women and children are knocking at the door right? Who is the MOST SUSCEPTIBLE IN THE WORLD to be carrying a disease or plague?

Even though they may not have been showing signs of it, or even known themselves they were carriers. You may well have just killed you own family with your kindness.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
With no plan at all you have nothing to work with.
It is unlikely that the plan will be a detailed step by step this is what will happen this is what we will do.
It will more likely be a collection of what ifs war gaming and a reaction to that. The plan is more about where we will be in the end rather than a lock step map on how we get there. If you ever study military missions , operation orders, the most important thing you must understand is the commanders intent. You may not have an option to follow the plan 100% to get there.
Something you learn first hand in the military.

If we loose our humanity and survive, we still lost everything.

Reactions: Moonshinedave

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I tend to plan in terms of general strategies rather than specific details. This adds a level of built-in flexibility to my preps so they can be adjusted as needed to suit specific circumstances.

My plans include developing long term renewable food sources rather than simply stockpiling foods.

I plan on joining or starting a local militia and setting up a defense in depth to safeguard the local area.

I am mentally and morally prepared to use whatever level of force is required to safeguard myself and those close to me.

I intend to avoid contact with outsiders as much as possible to limit my exposure to disease and danger.

Critical supplies will be cached in multiple locations so that the loss of one cache won't be disastrous.

Etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If the situation gets bad enough our moralities will have to change in order to survive. We will all have to deal with who we become and how we will treat ourselves after it is over. We are each going to do things that are beyond our moral compass. That has been proven in every conflict and chaos filled change that has ever taken place. We have to hold on to our moral compass but we also need to be able to "put it away" for a time knowing that it will be needed in the future.
I can be sure that I will do what ever I need to protect those I love. That love will help bring back my moral compass when it is time. I will feel the guilt but I will also admit to being human and forgive my myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just watched the movie "The Colony" last night. Its an after doomsday movie. I think you would all find it interesting....at least until the Cannibals arrive. Switch it off when that happens... Its not out on DVD yet, but if you are resourceful, you can watch it tonight.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I just watched the movie "The Colony" last night. Its an after doomsday movie. I think you would all find it interesting....at least until the Cannibals arrive. Switch it off when that happens... Its not out on DVD yet, but if you are resourceful, you can watch it tonight.
I hate it when the cannibals comes out!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts