Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The fridge - imho- is the "first line of defense" from hunger.
Most perishable items are in the fridge, therefore the contents of your fridge are what we're supposed to use up first in a survival scenario. We usually don't realize how much food we actually have in the fridge.
Normally, I tend to cook more than enough so there'll be left-overs, or meals that can be recycled - which saves me some effort at cooking.
A lot of people do that in this day and age , especially busy households with working parents.

In our prepping, keep in mind....... the contents of your fridge if SHTF, can buy you time and stretch your stockpile.

If SHTF happens NOW, how many days will you get out of your fridge, meal-wise? What's in your fridge?

We just had our Thanksgiving Day last weekend so my fridge is really heavily laden. Left-over turkey, some ham, cooked asparagus, some cooked shrimps, unopened pack of bacon, cheeses (old cheddar block, Italian shredded, Kraft slices) lettuce, tomatoes, celery, and sweet peppers, an 18-carton and a half carton of eggs, milk and cream, maple syrup, butter, and variety of condiments, and jams, fresh apples and lemons. Just the two of us - these can give us about a week of eating!

We can extend it to more days, if we incorporate using fresh bread, fresh potatoes and yams to stretch it.
There should always be bread! Don't let it run out without having an extra loaf or two. I always have 6 in the small freezer.

The oldest and the ones to easily spoil will be the first ones to be used. In our case, it'll be the shrimps and the turkey!
The carcass of the turkey can be simmered into soups.

I think the first 48 hours of a SHTF will be so uncertain as we have to understand what's happening out there, and make contingency plans from there. Having not to worry about food will really help a lot to keep us focused on the immediate steps to be taken.

Note: in this uncertain times, I'll make it a point to always have 2 cartons of eggs (plus some pickled eggs), 2 unopened packs of bacon, cheese slices, and some cooked ham in the fridge.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Live outside town. Married to a farm girl. Who knows what is in there. But bet it is stuffed full at all times as are the freezers. I often tell her I fear opening it . The stuff falling out may kill me.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The fridge - imho- is the "first line of defense" from hunger.
Most perishable items are in the fridge, therefore the contents of your fridge are what we're supposed to use up first in a survival scenario. We usually don't realize how much food we actually have in the fridge.
Normally, I tend to cook more than enough so there'll be left-overs, or meals that can be recycled - which saves me some effort at cooking.
A lot of people do that in this day and age , especially busy households with working parents.

In our prepping, keep in mind....... the contents of your fridge if SHTF, can buy you time and stretch your stockpile.

If SHTF happens NOW, how many days will you get out of your fridge, meal-wise? What's in your fridge?

We just had our Thanksgiving Day last weekend so my fridge is really heavily laden. Left-over turkey, some ham, cooked asparagus, some cooked shrimps, unopened pack of bacon, cheeses (old cheddar block, Italian shredded, Kraft slices) lettuce, tomatoes, celery, and sweet peppers, an 18-carton and a half carton of eggs, milk and cream, maple syrup, butter, and variety of condiments, and jams, fresh apples and lemons. Just the two of us - these can give us about a week of eating!

We can extend it to more days, if we incorporate using fresh bread, fresh potatoes and yams to stretch it.
There should always be bread! Don't let it run out without having an extra loaf or two. I always have 6 in the small freezer.

The oldest and the ones to easily spoil will be the first ones to be used. In our case, it'll be the shrimps and the turkey!
The carcass of the turkey can be simmered into soups.

I think the first 48 hours of a SHTF will be so uncertain as we have to understand what's happening out there, and make contingency plans from there. Having not to worry about food will really help a lot to keep us focused on the immediate steps to be taken.

Note: in this uncertain times, I'll make it a point to always have 2 cartons of eggs (plus some pickled eggs), 2 unopened packs of bacon, cheese slices, and some cooked ham in the fridge.
That is a REALLY early Thanksgiving. I am curious.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Just made breakfast so I looked 5 dozen eggs. Lots of cheese , ham , Turkey. Avocado's, Apples Pears. 4 gallons milk 1 bottle of her wine. Plus a lot of other food. freezer side I am not opening that door. To much work stuffing it back in.

Reactions: charito and Slippy

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Too funny SAS...

The fridge. Huh. Well, it’s loaded up and I don’t know half of the stuff in there. Now the freezer is damn near over flowing. Wife commented she wished we had a larger freezer. I asked her what for... she said.. bodies.. and walked away. Should I be worried?

Some of our food isn’t refrigerated like eggs and veggies we grow.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Well I have 2 chest type freezers a and a refer/fridge combo and another one coming in a week.
Mine have raw chicken done up with a food saver, hamburger done the same way.
There is ham and bacon also about 20# of each, in a month it will be cold enough to leave stuff outside.
One freezer is outside and will not draw electricity for five months.
A third of one chest is filled with meds of all sorts that are needed here plus SHTF stuff.
Some fish, vac packed and frozen commercially, I don't eat it myself.
There is 30 pounds of butter in the freezers.
Both of our diets consist mainly of chicken and rice, that is what there is the most of in there, chicken.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
1 fridge is full of pheasants and beer, 1 fridge is full of food (we buy milk 4 gal at a time), 3rd fridge is full of juice, mt dew, and seeds.

1 freezer is full of burger/steaks 2nd freezer is waiting to be filled with the 3 buck tags we get to use in a few weeks..

·
Registered
747 Posts
SHTF! What's In Your FRIDGE?
In the fridge:
1) About 20 cans of sardines and kippered snacks.
2) Several bags of nuts (macadamia, sun flower seeds, walnuts, pecans, pinion nuts, and raw hemp seeds [shelled]).
3) I have a drawer full of cheese.
4) I always keep plenty of Almond/Coconut milk on hand.
5) Various other foods stuffs and condiments.
6) Two large jars of olives.
7) Two dozen free range eggs.

Freezers:
1) About 100 lbs of grass-fed ground beef.
2) 25 lbs of free range chicken.
3) About 10 lbs of fish (salmon and cod).
4) Two beef roasts.
5) Many bags of frozen veggies (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, kale & other leafy greens)
6) Several bags of mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries).
7) Maybe ten 8-packs of beef hot dogs.

Since I live alone ... this is more than enough for me. I have two boxes of #10 cans as well as 5 gallon buckets of freeze dried foods in my storage unit.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depends on whether the power stays on, now, wouldn't it?
That's the thing: power outage.

If it's natural disaster - the power can go anytime. But if its unrest - I suppose we'll have a few days before it goes (if it does).

In case of power outage, try not to open your fridge door as often. The same rule applies that we should eat what would spoil first.
I assume cured stuffs like bacon and ham can last longer. If it's winter - and if temperature outside is lower - then shift everything
we can to that lower temp.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lots and Lots of BACON!!!!!!!!!
Just really curious because I have about 6 packs of bacon in the freezer right now. I got them on sale but their expiry date is December 2020.
How long can they keep without tasting rancid?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That's the thing: power outage.

If it's natural disaster - the power can go anytime. But if its unrest - I suppose we'll have a few days before it goes (if it does).

In case of power outage, try not to open your fridge door as often. The same rule applies that we should eat what would spoil first.
I assume cured stuffs like bacon and ham can last longer. If it's winter - and if temperature outside is lower - then shift everything
we can to that lower temp.
that's another joy of living in ND.... outdoor freezer and garage fridge 6-8 months out of the year.. hasn't gotten over 50 outside in 4 days... got down to 23 last night. supposed to get couple of inches of snow fri-sat.... could likely put stuff outside in coolers and will keep til april here.

wait til you southerners try to do summer in GA or AZ without A/C..

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
that's another joy of living in ND.... outdoor freezer and garage fridge 6-8 months out of the year.. hasn't gotten over 50 outside in 4 days... got down to 23 last night. supposed to get couple of inches of snow fri-sat.... could likely put stuff outside in coolers and will keep til april here.

wait til you southerners try to do summer in GA or AZ without A/C..
If we do run the A/C, it is only for 2-3 hours in the afternoon and even that is only for 2-3 weeks per year. I can live without A/C in the AZ desert just fine. But then, 95 degrees here feels a whole lot different than 95 did back in Minnesota.

In terms of what is in our freezer... There is 1/2 a steer and a bunch of pork and who knows what else in the freezers. I have no idea what is in the refrigerator as I am not allowed in Mrs Inor's kitchen anymore since the last time I attempted homemade bread without Mrs Inor's help. (The aftermath of that was a bad couple of days in the Inor household.)

In terms of keeping things frozen in a no-power situation, we have the largest ammonium nitrate plant in the SW United States about 20 miles from where we live. If it gets bad I can easily get a couple hundred pounds of ammonium nitrate and make all the ice we would ever need.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts