Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good recommendations for SHTF movies? List em up! TV series OK.

I'll start:

Mad Max
The Road
Children of Men
The Walking Dead (TV Series)

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I am legend
Book of Eli
Steel Dawn
Fist of the North Star
Battle Angel
Atlas Shrugged
A boy and his dog
V for Vendetta
Judge Dredd
Priest
Desert Punk
Demon city Shinjuku
Appleseed
Tomorrow when the war began

·
Registered
227 Posts
"Jericho" is my absolute favorite. It is a small town that learns to deal with no infrastructure, gangs, and militant government contractors after a nuclear terrorist attack takes out 14 major US cities and the grid.

·
Registered
99 Posts
On netflix, I just finished;

Jericho, listed above. ( made me stock up on food/water/guns/ammo/garden seeds and really hit home how my parents raised us kids and had it beat in our heads what to do if Nuke attacks happen, father was in the military and our farm was and is still within sight of a military base.)

Survivors, follows a group that survived a flu epidemic in Great Briton. only 2 seasons however very good. ( Made me stock up on bullets and guns, I think GB is the worst place to be in a shtf scenerio)
The Walking Dead, Finished season 1, just started season 2 (don't get AMC Channel) (made me stock up on bow/crossbow and arrow stuff/ machettes/hatches)
The colony, season 1 (made me and my son start taking apart old radios and stuff and make new stuff out of them)

man so many already mentioned, I'll have to check my Netflix.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thirding Jericho. So good.

Survivors, follows a group that survived a flu epidemic in Great Briton. only 2 seasons however very good. ( Made me stock up on bullets and guns, I think GB is the worst place to be in a shtf scenerio)
Why? Living in GB, I'm pretty happy about my chances escaping out to the already sparsely populated countryside, full of little animals, great forage and no big predators. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
My apologizes I didn't mean it like that, I probly should have choosen my words better.

Survivors takes place in GB, and the group is constantly getting bullied and threaten by the few who have guns, ex goverment, gangsters and a jerk with a hunting rifle (double barrel break action). It just really hit home and history has proven time and time again, the point that guns/fire power= power.

However, yes the plus side to GB, and the rest of euro, not many ppl would have guns to hurt others. As where here in the USA, you would need to keep behind cover everywhere you went. As everyone has a gun.

My wife and I plan on making a European trip in a few yrs, (hopefully everything has calmed down by then) and stay for like a month just traveling around with our son. I can totally see SHTF when we are there. So I have located and marked on maps all the military bases in the euro zone that we will be traveling too and later when we are more set on going I'll locate and mark all the Police stations as well.

Thirding Jericho. So good.

Why? Living in GB, I'm pretty happy about my chances escaping out to the already sparsely populated countryside, full of little animals, great forage and no big predators. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
oH and I totally forgot;

Falling skies,

and ID4.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hmm... now I'm curious about which ones actually have value added (i.e., I can learn something) versus pure entertainment. I've got to admit that I love The Walking Dead... but those guys are idiots and make more mistakes than Joe Biden. Seriously, they should all be dead already... but then we wouldn't have a show. On the same thought, I'm not sure many of the so-called survival shows do much either. In Survivorman, Les spends all of his time walking his cameras back and forth and being hungry. Man, Woman, Wild seems more drama than action. They show some skills, but basically skip over the "how-to". Dual survival does the same. I saw a really cool episode where Dave made an arrowhead out of the bottom of a bottle using flint chipping techniques... but they more or less glossed over it. I'd love to see a show that slowed down... focused on one area... and showed you the how-to. So.... I'll share one i am really starting to love: Ray Mears. His shows were all on the BBC... but he's pretty darn good in the wild. I just got his Wold of Survival, Country Tracks, Extreme Survival, Bushcraft, and Wild Food series. I finished Country Tracks. They were short but informative. I'll let you know how the rest are.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry i don't remember the names but perhaps the descriptions will trigger your memories.

They were both on TV in the late 70's early 80's and both had to do with a nuclear exchange.

First one was a family in the mid west where they hunker down in the basement after piling dirt up against the sides of the house. An Airman from a near by missile silo discovers them on his attempt to get home. Later after the food runs out they have to go out side and find all their live stock dead and everything covered in ash. One of the daughters needs medical attention, I think due to blindness? Any way while I was in the Air Force I worked in a fall out shelter as one of my Ancillary duties and some of the things in this movie are correct.

The second movie I think took place in California and what little I can remember a boy living in a surviving neighborhood would ride his bicycle to the house of an old man and help him listen for news on a HAM radio.

Sorry not much to go on with the second one but I enjoyed both.

Does anyone happen to remember the names of these?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

Best TV show I've ever seen was 'Survivors' in the 1970's, I watched all 38 episodes again on youtube earlier this year, and it's also available on DVD.
It's sensible intelligently-scripted stuff with not a zomb or mutant in sight, type 'Survivors 1975' into the youtube search box, (don't get it mixed up with the not-so-good 2000's remake)
Here's the first episode of Survivors 1975, it begins fine and dandy with everybody happy, but they don't know a deadly plague has just escaped from a bio lab and is going to wipe nearly everybody out-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
THE ROAD was on TV not so long ago but I didn't like it much; a guy and his son decide to trek to the coast through a bleak landscape after an Apocalypse, I'm not sure why. Other bits don't ring true either but it's reasonably good entertainment as long as we don't take it seriously!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROGUE MALE is not bad, O'Toole tries to shoot Hitler before the war, then goes on the run from the Gestapo through the English countryside, so he digs a small cave and holes up in it..

I can't find the full film on youtube and am not sure if it's on DVD but it's on Blinkbox here in Britain-

Watch Rogue Male Online | Buy or Rent with blinkbox

·
Registered
277 Posts
You got me interested. I especially liked the part where the guy at the school said could you make that candle? We will have to learn everything again. We landed a man on the moon but now reduced to making stone tools.

I've wondered about this. Leonardo da Vinci drew diagrams for a color TV but did not have the materials to make one, or even the tools to make the materials. How long would it take from scratch, including no tools, to make a working light bulb to include the power source?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts