Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,603 Posts
Maybe I had some bad hyperbole in my original post, but I'm glad a few people got what I was saying. It seems like some people have at least a rough plan but mostly it's just stockpile stockpile stockpile and figure it out when everything comes to a head. For me, I'm working on a meal plan to rotate to make sure I don't run out of something necessary.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
I got where you are coming from. I'm not the meal planner, I'm just the stockpiler. :vs_laugh: Meal planning was something I didn't consider until some friends and I got into a discussion about it. My wife wasn't on board with this until the pandemic. Fortunately I bought what we normally eat so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Well, except we are not normally bean eaters. We do have a decent stock of beans.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I've been planning meals for 45 years; it's second nature. I honestly can't even imagine how the OP's scenario could happen.
For someone new they could end up with beans, rice, peanut butter whole wheat, and honey.

As for us , we keep a balanced two - three month's supply of everything from tea to meat and everything in between

Oh and it's what we eat on a daily basis.

Reactions: paulag1955

·
Registered
156 Posts
Glad you brought this subject up SuburbanSurvivor. I’m fairly new to stockpiling food but this site has been essential in getting great info and insight.The wife still works so I take care of the shopping. I’ve been buying canned meats, powered milk, spices powered mashed potatoes etc.
I do the Mylar bags and buy rice and beans. I’ll get extra cans of vegetables and fruits.My peeps are picky eaters, for example eldest son lives off bacon and frozen or processed meals. Wife does mainly NutriSystem. I’ll eat most anything even those Milkbone biscuits that SoCom has stored,used to eat them as a kid
Meal planning is something I didn’t give much thought to until now. I thought we’d just pop open a can of beans and wella !

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Glad you brought this subject up SuburbanSurvivor. I'm fairly new to stockpiling food but this site has been essential in getting great info and insight.The wife still works so I take care of the shopping. I've been buying canned meats, powered milk, spices powered mashed potatoes etc.
I do the Mylar bags and buy rice and beans. I'll get extra cans of vegetables and fruits.My peeps are picky eaters, for example eldest son lives off bacon and frozen or processed meals. Wife does mainly NutriSystem. I'll eat most anything even those Milkbone biscuits that SoCom has stored,used to eat them as a kid
Meal planning is something I didn't give much thought to until now. I thought we'd just pop open a can of beans and wella !
On those Milkbones, my daughter eats them too, not me though.

If you plan on storing any of them, they need to be dried in a microwave to reduce the moisture content.

I then put them in Mylar bags, O2 eaters, seal and put back in original box.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have a habit of testing everything our dogs eat...
i have found the dehydrated dog treats, chicken, duck, and beef are all good and tastey.
they are real meat, somewhat expensive but edible .

·
Super Moderator
6,388 Posts
I got where you are coming from. I'm not the meal planner, I'm just the stockpiler. :vs_laugh: Meal planning was something I didn't consider until some friends and I got into a discussion about it. My wife wasn't on board with this until the pandemic. Fortunately I bought what we normally eat so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Well, except we are not normally bean eaters. We do have a decent stock of beans.
Might want to consider including just a little into your diet. They can do bad things to the digestive system if you're not accustomed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't expect to eat the same way I do now in a SHTF scenario. The way I look at it as long as I have food stored I'm not going to starve to death. My main staples in my long term food supply (for what should be obvious reasons) are rice and beans. I have plenty of other things like dried milk, rolled oats, potato flakes, pasta, canned meats, wheat berry, dried fruit & vegetables, etc. but the rice and beans will be my main staples. My brother lives very close to me and he has chickens so I should be good on proteins.

I see these posts all the time where people say you have to eat the same foods now as you plan to eat in a SHTF scenario. I understand what they're trying to say but I don't necessarily agree with it. I would expect that I would be eating a lot of things I don't eat now. For me as long as I have something to eat then I'm gtg. I mean you should know how to prepare the foods you plan on storing but that doesn't mean you have to eat rice and beans 3 days a week now.

·
Super Moderator
8,603 Posts
I don't expect to eat the same way I do now in a SHTF scenario. The way I look at it as long as I have food stored I'm not going to starve to death. My main staples in my long term food supply (for what should be obvious reasons) are rice and beans. I have plenty of other things like dried milk, rolled oats, potato flakes, pasta, canned meats, wheat berry, dried fruit & vegetables, etc. but the rice and beans will be my main staples. My brother lives very close to me and he has chickens so I should be good on proteins.

I see these posts all the time where people say you have to eat the same foods now as you plan to eat in a SHTF scenario. I understand what they're trying to say but I don't necessarily agree with it. I would expect that I would be eating a lot of things I don't eat now. For me as long as I have something to eat then I'm gtg. I mean you should know how to prepare the foods you plan on storing but that doesn't mean you have to eat rice and beans 3 days a week now.
Rice has been part of our meals for quite a while now. We do have beans on occasion but neither of us are big on beans. Yet we both know they are easy to store.

Storing what you normally eat makes things a little easier when you have start using your storage. Eating what your not used to, you have no idea how your body will react to that food. Or even if it is is palatable. I got a good deal on kale seeds before I found out that I really don't like kale. I figured it would be like spinach which I do like.

When the time comes that you have to use your food storage, life will most likely be tough. Why sit down to a dinner that you have to force yourself to eat? Misery loves company? I would rather have a nutritious meal that I like instead. Yeah there will be more beans but my wife has a talent for making things taste better and we have stored beano to boot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I probably should have explained it a little better. I actually do eat a lot of rice. I don't eat many beans, although I do like them enough to eat them. I also don't store any foods that I don't like. My only point is if it gets bad enough that I get deep into my food storage I'm not all that concerned about what kind of foods that I have as long as I have something to eat.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts