Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How planned is everyone’s SHTF menu? I’m just curious because a lot I’ve read amounts to stockpiling based on calories only but never addresses how to proportion different food stuffs. It would seem ultimate self defeating to 1,000,000 calories of food per person only to have nothing but sugar and Lima beans left at the end of the third month. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
How planned is everyone's SHTF menu? I'm just curious because a lot I've read amounts to stockpiling based on calories only but never addresses how to proportion different food stuffs. It would seem ultimate self defeating to 1,000,000 calories of food per person only to have nothing but sugar and Lima beans left at the end of the third month. Thanks in advance.
As a general rule I would say that anybody that has been thoughtful enough to prep long term has thought about making sure there is a balance of meats, breads, fruits, dairy, veggies....

Not sure where you read about stock piling based on calories where they did not mention balance.. but my advice - stop read those people

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
How planned is everyone's SHTF menu? I'm just curious because a lot I've read amounts to stockpiling based on calories only but never addresses how to proportion different food stuffs. It would seem ultimate self defeating to 1,000,000 calories of food per person only to have nothing but sugar and Lima beans left at the end of the third month. Thanks in advance.
You ask that question, apparently you have little food buying and cooking experience.

Ours is based on what we eat, at this point we have just extended that consumption for 5 years worth,

using Spam and corned beef plus canned chicken to replace market purchases when exhausted.

The base products are White rice and beans, they are now stored at two levels,

ready (unprepped, at least 2 year shelf life), and long term. We use 25 pounds of rice a month.

Other starches are dried potatoes and pasta.

There are two chest freezers with chicken, beef and bacon for 5/6th. of the space the remainder is in assorted meds.

The two refrigerator freezer compartments are also filled with same meats.

Here is a picture I posted a month ago, it is my ready rice, 250 pounds of it,

behind the pile and to the left there is one ton of long term stored rice and beans.

This ready pile will be used by this time next year, another pile is building in another location.

Not shown is the barrel of 150 pounds of rice residing under the kitchen table,

it is drawn from as needed in roughly 12 pound segments.

This storage space is bug, vermin and waterproof, when the door is closed it is hermetically sealed.

RICE-2.JPG

this is spam, tea and AJ in the shop, there is plenty of spam there and in other places too.

Those are 6 pack's of spam not single cans.
IMG_0442.JPG

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know exactly what the OP is getting at. If it were left only to me, our food stores would ...errr ...'lack imagination'. There would definitely be enough calories and probably a survivable balance of nutrition, but it wouldn't be ideal. Fortunately my darling young bride (of 32 years) is much better at that sort of planning. She's responsible for determining what we're going to eat, I'm responsible for how and where we're going to store it and how we're going to protect it.

...and before the self-righteous, self-appointed super preppers jump in, ...yes, either one of us could handle the whole show alone (God forbid) but it sure works better as a team.
Mark 10:8 'and the two shall become one flesh'
;)

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
You ask that question, apparently you have little food buying and cooking experience.

Ours is based on what we eat, at this point we have just extended that consumption for 5 years worth,

using Spam and corned beef plus canned chicken to replace market purchases when exhausted.

The base products are White rice and beans, they are now stored at two levels,

ready (unprepped, at least 2 year shelf life), and long term. We use 25 pounds of rice a month.

Other starches are dried potatoes and pasta.

There are two chest freezers with chicken, beef and bacon for 5/6th. of the space the remainder is in assorted meds.

The two refrigerator freezer compartments are also filled with same meats.

Here is a picture I posted a month ago, it is my ready rice, 250 pounds of it,

behind the pile and to the left there is one ton of long term stored rice and beans.

This ready pile will be used by this time next year, another pile is building in another location.

Not shown is the barrel of 150 pounds of rice residing under the kitchen table,

it is drawn from as needed in roughly 12 pound segments.

This storage space is bug, vermin and waterproof, when the door is closed it is hermetically sealed.

View attachment 110353

this is spam, tea and AJ in the shop, there is plenty of spam there and in other places too.

Those are 6 pack's of spam not single cans.
View attachment 110355
I love seeing pics of food storage. I'm sick that way. :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I know exactly what the OP is getting at. If it were left only to me, our food stores would ...errr ...'lack imagination'. There would definitely be enough calories and probably a survivable balance of nutrition, but it wouldn't be ideal. Fortunately my darling young bride (of 32 years) is much better at that sort of planning. She's responsible for determining what we're going to eat, I'm responsible for how and where we're going to store it and how we're going to protect it.

...and before the self-righteous, self-appointed super preppers jump in, ...yes, either one of us could handle the whole show alone (God forbid) but it sure works better as a team.
Mark 10:8 'and the two shall become one flesh'
;)
And who in your enlightened opinion are the self appointed super preppers you are referring to?

Do you mean all three of us who posted in this thread or other?

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
You mean you're wondering what meals i make from my preps? My family likes to eat. Here's some ideas for staters, all from food storage:

Corn fritters

weenies and beans

various rices with or without beans / pastas

breads and biscuits

beef stew

creamed chicken

spaghetti and red sauce w/ Italian sausage

ham in pineapple juice

Chicken chili / beef chili / vegetarian chili

Oatmeal and granola

Cakes and brownies

Canned on crackers; tuna, salmon, sardines, anchovies

PB&J....

Mixed veggies.....(for soups, rice or pasta dishes mainly)

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I do Mexican, Chinese, Italian dishes, southern fried chicken and potatoes, some Polish, near east and New England.

I make 1-1/2 gallons of spaghetti sauce every three weeks and freeze it in 2 serving packets.

Three weeks is the start over point, it is gone by then.

Beef stew about once a month in a crock pot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
And who in your enlightened opinion are the self appointed super preppers you are referring to?

Do you mean all three of us who posted in this thread or other?
Wow! I didn't realize how fragile your ego is, I apologize for hurting your feelings. But I was referring to "self-righteous, self-appointed super preppers" in general, the internet is full of them.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Wow! I didn't realize how fragile your ego is, I apologize for hurting your feelings. But I was referring to "self-righteous, self-appointed super preppers" in general, the internet is full of them.
Actually I was thinking you are a troll with a smart assed remark like that.

That remark was directed at us not the net in general, otherwise it never would have been made. .

I don't have an ego and none has ever been displayed on here by me.

I don't need any "apology" from you, or anyone else.

You haven't been around here long enough to know the people on here or their background.

I suppose now in your view each time I post something it is from my "self appointed expert being".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Relax dude, not everything is about you. Your aren't the only the prepper on this forum and this isn't the only prepper forum on the internet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, as long as you keep being butt hurt and trying to defend yourself against something I didn't do.

Tell you what, since it's so important to you I'll just stop replying to all the "new quote" messages that keep popping up on my screen.

·
Registered
824 Posts
We occasionally use mostly or only prep foods for meals. It's good to know how to prepare and taste test your long term stored foods.

Tonight we had some veal shanks in the freezer and used only long term preps (everything but the veal had been stored at least 3 years including the cooking oil and wine) to complete the meal. Freeze dried carrots, rice, and onions cooked in the wood fired dome oven outside. Came out tender and delicious.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Open the next can on the shelf. Start at the top, go down one side and back up the other. Are you really planning meals?? Cause if you have time to plan meals it ain't SHTF time yet. Heck a warm can of soup will be a treat once it really hits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe I had some bad hyperbole in my original post, but I’m glad a few people got what I was saying. It seems like some people have at least a rough plan but mostly it’s just stockpile stockpile stockpile and figure it out when everything comes to a head. For me, I’m working on a meal plan to rotate to make sure I don’t run out of something necessary.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
We tend to prep what we eat daily including calories. ‘M sure we could do a much better job than what we have done. The key with us will be growing a good amount of our food.

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
@SOCOM42 is not only the real deal, he is someone that has so much valuable real life experience and knowledge. Actually, he is one of my true hero's and an American Patriot.

I'll not threaten you or try and be some keyboard bad ass, but I will highly suggest you read and learn when SOCOM42 writes.

That is all!

Your friend,

Slippy! :vs_wave:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts