Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I am on a budget for prepping and guns. I think I think I need to get a handgun first. My question is. I have a 16 gauge double barrel shotgun I inherited from my father when he passed away a couple years ago. I have very little ammo for it was wondering if I should build up a stockpile of ammo or just get a smaller amount and eventually get a 12 gauge to replace it. If I decide to replace it it maybe a year or more before that can happen.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My recomendation is to get 100 rounds or so for the 16. My reasoning is that it is a double barrel. You can't put an excessive amount through it. I love all guns. I have pistols and rifles and shotguns. I would say that a Remington 870 pump should be your first purchase. You can get one a great deal cheaper than you can get a pistol, and it is a great all around, all purpose weapon. Then, follow with a pistol purchase.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I also have a 16 gauge, and they are one of the less popular gauges now, but ammo can be found for them. Go to AmmoSeek they will tell you who has it and how much. If it was me, I'd keep the double barrel at all cost, one for it was my father's gun and two, I love double barrels, I would not trade it for two pump shotguns,but that's just me. At the least, I'd check the value of it before I traded it off, you might be surprised of it's worth.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I would be lower cost and better deal to go out and pick up a Mossberg Maverick model 88. The sell for 159 to under 200 are out standing 12 G prefect length for home defense and hunting if need.
And will last a long time you will be passing it on when you go

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I agree that your first no kidding gun purchase should be a concealable handgun in a defensive type caliber 9mm or better power wise. There is a long laundry list of reasons why I think that should be your first aquisition. So I think your on the right track there.

That 16 gauge is a fine gun but its a lot like a 28 guage...ammo is a bit uncommon and hard to come by. Additionally unless you hand load your not likely to find a lot of the loads your going to want for defense like you will a 12 gauge or 20 gauge, such as 00 buck, 4 Buck and slugs. Im sure there are some being made but your going to be looking long and hard for them and your going to pay dearly when you do find them. That being said I think you would be money and time ahead looking for a good 12 gauge. You can just about buy commercial loaded ammo for that about as cheap as I can reload for it, really! Even these days during the ammo drought of 2012/13 you can still usually go down to wally world and pick a few boxes at standard prices and not get gouged in the wallet. Around August/Septimber when Dove season kicks in at least here in Texas you can buy the birdshot loads by the cases on sale for less than 5 bucks a 25 round box!!! I would suggest that should you be considering reloading, that you purchase the same brand so that you get the same hulls and only have to use one wad to minimize components on hand.

As for shotguns, since you on a budget, shop around. I have picked up some great used Remington 870 pumps at pawn shops for a 100 bucks, although most were a bit more. I just picked up last season a Mossberg 835 Turkey gun with 5 shot capacity, 22 inch barrel, camo coated, fiber optic rifle sights for 219.00 out the door brand new in box! Thats right there with the Mavrick shotguns but with a lot more options, whistles and bells. Deals are out there so be patience and keep your ear to the ground and you can likely stumble into a great deal too. Half the guns in my collection and I wont say that number here but its a lot more than most people will ever own were purchased for a song and dance compared to the going rates for them so save your pennies and keep an eye out and you too can scam on a hell of a deal too.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Ask and you shall receive, a 100 different opinions from a 100 different people, and most all good.

I inherited a 16 gauge from my mom via her dad. The Winchester Model 12 is a real winner. Though I would never
consider it my primary defense gun and I keep only a 100 rounds around for it - in fact I just recently added them
at $8.99 a box for cheap bird shot at Bass Pro.

Because you have this fine gun and you can score 50 rounds for under $20 that is what I'd do, and then apply
your savings to your first hand gun. That would be my advise. Even Joe Biden loves the shotgun so there is no
real government regulatory risk on them right now - if I were you I'd seek out a Ruger P89/95 hi cap 9mm as
one of the least expensive tank like hand guns with relatively affordable hi cap magaizne (in FL I think not for
us here in CA).

I have a family member prepping now for about 18 months. He pledges $100 a month to a prepping account
and will often spend $30-$75 a month on food deals and then save up the balance for firearms. He owns a
Ruger 10/22 and P95 already and that's after just 18 months. I think he added a little money when he
bought the P95 but a Remington 870 or Mossy 590 is next on his list.

·
Administrator
14,911 Posts
I also have a 16 gauge, and they are one of the less popular gauges now, but ammo can be found for them. Go to AmmoSeek they will tell you who has it and how much. If it was me, I'd keep the double barrel at all cost, one for it was my father's gun and two, I love double barrels, I would not trade it for two pump shotguns,but that's just me. At the least, I'd check the value of it before I traded it off, you might be surprised of it's worth.
I too would keep the double barrel, for the same two reasons as Dave. It was your late Dad's. And double barrel guns are great, especially double trigger models.
Why, you ask? You can keep different loads ready to fire and have instantaneous load selection to fit the circumstance, if it's a double trigger model. Can't do that with a pump or auto.
I keep my 20 ga SXS loaded with birdshot in one pipe and buckshot in the other. Very handy for a farmer - late at night if there's a ruckus out in the chicken yard I'm ready for anything from a possum to a coyote.
City folks could keep buckshot in one pipe and a slug in the other, in case the buckshot doesn't stop whatever it is you want to stop.
I have one 16 ga, a 1940 H&R Model 120 bolt action (I really, really like old shotguns and old 22 rifles). Ammo is available, where I live Ace Hardware carries ammo. I keep #6 birdshot and #1 buck on hand, it's about the same price as 12 ga.
Later on, you could always get a pump gun. I picked up my 12 ga Remington 870 used for $185 including tax.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have a gun smith make sure it is safe to fire. It would stink to buy a bunch of ammo you can't use.

I have some old 20 guage ammo for Granddads double barrel (Baker & Co). I thought it would be fun to shoot.

There were a few problems with the gun so I took it in for what I thought would be some adjustments. Turns out it is not safe to shoot, and would be extremely expensive to repair.

I'm heart broken about it, but I'm glad I had it check out. It will be going into a display case.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a 16 gauge Ithaca 37 that I love. Best all around gauge every built imho, especially for birds and tree rats. Ammo is actually out there to be had right now because not a lot of people still shoot 16 gauge, but it is out there. I saw some today at Sportsman's Warehouse as a matter of fact, plenty of it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When the SHTF it will be difficult to resupply 16 gauge ammo. You can either stockpile now or make the switch to a 12 gauge. I understand the sentimental value, but I'm sure your father would agree that you have to do whatever is best for your family.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check out Pawn Shops if you are really on a budget and look for a used Mossberg 500 or Rem 870. Now and then I see a few gun shops get trade in police 870's in serviceable to like new condition that they sale for $150.00 there abouts.

You can buy a new 870 Tactical or Mossberg 500 for $325-400.

Myself I would opt for a 12 gauge to due ammo availability and a wide variety of it for both SD and hunting. You can stock up on 16GA but once it run out you will most likely be out and wont be finding any more.

You can still find bulk SD loads as well as bird shot fair affordable, Scroll to the bottom

United Nations Ammo Company (UNAC)

I would differently keep the 16 and put it way,

Karsten

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
As others have said the 16 G is cool and because of the history it should stay in your family. But for defense and food on the table if needed it is limited. The 16 g shells harder to come by stocking up will cost you more than a good 12G pump like the Mossberg I mentioned. There are just so many 12G shells to chose from and they will be one of the last outlawed if this gun control stuff keeps going. You do not need a 600-800 dollar 12g to do the job well. 159 to under 200 new
This is the Maverick right at 38 inches over all, well made and reliable .
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts