Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I have been working on my preps and have been thinking what I should do for communication and receiving information from the outside world if something should happen. I need advice from any of you on short wave radios and HAM radios. I know nothing and would like information on what brands are the best for short wave radios an experience has anyone had with the solar or hand crank radios? What would be considered adequate? I don’t think I’m interested in investing a lot of money in a huge set up but if there is an economical way to do it I may be interested. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I'm going for the FT-2900E-B2 75W VHF FM Mobile Transceiver
FT-2900Rs.png

It has high wattage (relatively) with out extra amps and things to lug around. Can be a base unit in your house, in your car, at your camp site, etc. It is just about as portable as a hand held (almost) and puts out a hefty signal.

Reactions: hayden and survival

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
Radio's are like guns, everyone has a favorite. My personal favorite is the Kenwood TM-D710A. The body and the head are seperate with dual display. You can run vhf on one side and uhf simultaneously on the other side. I own 2 of these. One stays as a base and the other is in my truck. For the base I run an inexpensive Arrow J-Pole on a 10' pole. It hits every repeater that it needs to even though it is low to the ground. Great range in the truck with a diamond SG 7500 on a 5"mag mount.

Someday I want to buy a Yaesu 857D. This is one of the most versatile portable radio's around. They are not cheap however. The run in the neighborhood of $1200

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going for the FT-2900E-B2 75W VHF FM Mobile Transceiver
View attachment 879

It has high wattage (relatively) with out extra amps and things to lug around. Can be a base unit in your house, in your car, at your camp site, etc. It is just about as portable as a hand held (almost) and puts out a hefty signal.
What the price on something like that and does it scan?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see something like that if I have a base of operations and wanted to communicate with others when their out. What I'm looking for is something I can listen to reports and get a global picture on what going on as well as just the weather.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still thinking about the whole HAM radio thing but it seems like a big pain in the ass for little return.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Unless you buy a powerful little handheld, with a repeater they do pretty darn good. Mine was like 44 bucks, I have been amazed at how good it is for 44 bucks. Me and Hank can bounce off the local repeater for like 25 miles or so. That's halfway into the next county.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Does any one know if that Eton Mini GM400 has an external antenna jack? I find that even the simplest radio receivers (even the good old transistor radios that don't even take batteries) will pick up a lot of signals with a good antenna. If I bugged out and took that little radio with me, I'd want the option of being able to run an antenna up the side of a building, tree, etc...

I looked on line and couldn't find confirmation one way or the other.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Unless you buy a powerful little handheld, with a repeater they do pretty darn good. Mine was like 44 bucks, I have been amazed at how good it is for 44 bucks. Me and Hank can bounce off the local repeater for like 25 miles or so. That's halfway into the next county.
If SHTF you can't count on a repeater network.

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
this is correct, only point to point will prevail.
I guess it's where you are situated. We have several repeaters around here with battery backups. But they won't be much good if an emp hits then it will be all simplex for those who have radios protected.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Leon you gave me a lot of info about HAM radios on one of your other posts and had me laughin hard with your story about the aholes on the radio!::clapping::

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
Am I correct in assuming those radios pickup the 7 NOAA frequencies?
I have no idea. This is for getting news and weather from radio stations near and far inexpensively. The NOAA frequency range is from 162.400 to 162.550 if memory serves me correctly. This falls in the VHF range. I don't think this will pick up VHF but I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts