Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read and seen people use shipping Containers that are grounded as gant faraday cages for all their TEOTWAWKI gear, but would a shipping container that was sealed but not grounded still work?

·
Registered
433 Posts
You would have to do a better job of grounding the doors than just the hinges and also I would use 8 to 12 foot grounding rods to make sure it is properly grounded, but yes in theory these dudes would make a big Faraday Cage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason iwas asking was a thought I had, that if a standard shipping container with no thought of EMP, was indeed able to be a faraday cage, wouldn't that mean that ships loaded with shipping containers be a great scavenging ground after an EMP, if indeed the theory had legs that is.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
something that big made of solid steel will actually conduct electricity like an antenna, but here's where it gets interesting. GROUNDED, meaning lines attached solidly to the container and driven at least three feet into the ground by metal stakes will make it into a faraday type setup. a little electrical doping on the inside, like a rubberized compound would make it pretty solid. Then again, if you seen my posts and videos I place no stock in an EMP event. It would have to be a very powerful man made business, and even then it wont happen everywhere at once. Newer computers and stuff are pretty damn tough these days against electrical surges and spikes.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The containers would make a decent lightning protector. For solar storms the best thing you can do is isolate your home from the grid - pull all the main breakers.

For an HEMP type EMP event a shipping container is not very good and grounding a shielded area is just adding antennas to bring in more of an E1 pulse. Steel is not a good barrier for E1 pulses- the resistance is too high. You need at least aluminum and better yet is copper and the best is silver. Multiple layers of shielding with multiple layers of insulation is much better than one layer of any kind. You almost never want to ground a shield for an E1 pulse, it is best left isolated because the high voltage/amperage is travelling through the air and ground to a depth of over 12 feet.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
The containers would make a decent lightning protector. For solar storms the best thing you can do is isolate your home from the grid - pull all the main breakers.

For an HEMP type EMP event a shipping container is not very good and grounding a shielded area is just adding antennas to bring in more of an E1 pulse. Steel is not a good barrier for E1 pulses- the resistance is too high. You need at least aluminum and better yet is copper and the best is silver. Multiple layers of shielding with multiple layers of insulation is much better than one layer of any kind. You almost never want to ground a shield for an E1 pulse, it is best left isolated because the high voltage/amperage is travelling through the air and ground to a depth of over 12 feet.
Would this work for an E3? That is the threat I take more seriously. The E1 might or might not happen but CMEs are pretty common. With them it's not if but when. We have had close calls recently so its only a matter of time before we get nailed by another big one like the Carrington event.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
See my post in the Faraday bags thread. Shipping containers aren't the best idea...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts