Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was driving with my daughter for a couple of hours and I posed a question to her. (She's 12)

What would you do without electric? The context was a solar flair similar to the one in the 1800's as well as hurricane Ike.

She started with no hot showers and the discussion went down to food, water, etc. She mentioned that without running water we'd need some way to gather and purify water. She realized how stores wouldn't have stock so we need food. We got down to the basics.. The very basics and she understood.

We then talked about what a city of 4 million would do if those people couldn't get food and water.

In the end she understood preparedness and defense.

A really good conversation and time with my daughter.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
So good to hear that these concepts can be understood by a 12 year old, yet sad to know that they can't be understood by some grown adults. Sounds like you have a very intelligent little girl. You must be doing something right.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't know if she's home schooled or public, if public be on the guard for nonsense peddled as fact. My favorite was the teacher who told my son that to clean up the environment we should ship all garbage and pollutants to South Africa where they would be launched into space. I spent some time explaining about cost in energy, dollars and resulting pollution in the end my son understood I don't think the teacher ever did.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.. I try with her. I've been discussing many topics with her since she was about 6. Taxes being a good topic. i made it apply to her allowance. She really understands that concept now. Lol.

She is in one of the best school districts in Texas. We didn't let any of that lesson plan crap thats been in the news into our schools. She also goes to a special science magnet school and the teachers there are good. I'm more worried about when she gets into college. Hopefully all out talks will give her a head start against the college liberals.

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
Thanks.. I try with her. I've been discussing many topics with her since she was about 6. Taxes being a good topic. i made it apply to her allowance. She really understands that concept now. Lol.

She is in one of the best school districts in Texas. We didn't let any of that lesson plan crap thats been in the news into our schools. She also goes to a special science magnet school and the teachers there are good. I'm more worried about when she gets into college. Hopefully all out talks will give her a head start against the college liberals.
As long as you have instilled the basics properly in her, she will be fine. When she gets to college she may explore other ways of thinking but the base knowledge she grew up with will allow her to separate the wheat from the chaff.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts

Nice job Dad! When I'm not playing Police Officer, I'm the head of security at a high school. I was amazed at how few liberal teachers my school is blessed with. Unfortunately, from first hand experience, our schools are no longer about educating the children. It's about running a business and skewing the numbers to receive more funding so administrators can keep their cash cow jobs. I can't tell you how many "gratuitous" diplomas I've seen handed out. It shows "success" and gets the problem turds out the door.

Several of our teachers recognize that our government is intentionally "Dumbing Down America" by withholding funding and restraining the teachers ability to control the classroom. We have a "transgender youth" who had pretty much taken over the school and the foster parents threatened to sue every time we turned around. After lot's of diligent work and plenty of documentation, as well as outside criminal activity (which is where being a cop really helped), we were able to stave off the attacks and send the kid packing. He-she-guy-broad-man-woman was from another district anyway, so it just got easier.

And yes, college is where you need to worry. I have a cousin who went to college, then on to law school, moved to San Francisco (she was lead counsel for the Silicone Implant lawsuits in the 90's) and went WAY, WAY LEFT. Tree Hugger, viciously rabid Obama supporter, anti-gun, bleeding heart liberal. All from a girl who was raised on a ranch in Montana, rode horses and hunted. My uncle, who retired as one of the directors from NRA Headquarters and became good friends with Charleton Heston, is just so, so proud. A staunch Republican who made his living and put her through college via the gun industry (starting back in the late 60's), for the most part, won't even talk to her.

So yes, be careful. But if she thinks this well now, she'll be just fine.

·
Registered
855 Posts

I've tried to do the same with my boys. Halloween is a great time to introduce taxes, I explain to them that they have to pay "Dad Tax" just like I have to pay income tax. Of course the tax rate goes up the more candy they take in, they don't think it's fair either, lol.

All kidding aside, I think it's great that your daughter gets it. Mine are still a bit young for the scenarios but they're getting some basic skills already, most times without even realizing it.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

Texas A&M, just sayin':-D

·
Registered
425 Posts
I appreciate the wisdom in the Proverbs passage. But, we must be ever vigilant to guard against the politically correct Marxist nonsense pumped into our ears and eyes every day. SOMEONE will be the influencer of our children, but who? We like to think that is us, but we have a hard time competing with the all-out PR campaign being waged as war for the hearts and minds of our children.

On the topic of teachers and "getting it..." All I can say is that I work at a school and most are shocked that I can walk out to the field behind the school and return with something edible for my lunch. Their entire concept is that food comes from stores, who in turn get their stock from "somewhere" or else some children's book-level equivalence of "Old MacDonald Had A Farm.".

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I am SO with you on that!! I'm already dropping hints. If she goes to UT I'll disown her. LOL.
While time is short for this summer, it's worth a visit while classes are not in session. You can honestly feel the spirit of Aggieland in the peace and quiet.

I have a son who, at times, I cannot claim. He even has the nerve to buy his 20 month old neice clothing that displays the dead cow. The worst, however, was when he gave his Mother a dead cow sweatshirt. She's from New England and knows not what she does...

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a son who, at times, I cannot claim. He even has the nerve to buy his 20 month old neice clothing that displays the dead cow. The worst, however, was when he gave his Mother a dead cow sweatshirt. She's from New England and knows not what she does...
The horror....

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have 5 children which were both home schooled or sent to Christian schools their whole lives which spans the last 26 years with my youngest graduating this year (3.93 gpa)

It wasn't cheap nor was it painless as we went through the common rebellion that every teen goes through.

My greatest vindication is that all my children are very aware of the state of our world, the economy, and where they will go when the SHTF (hint... home)

I'm taking the 2 children I have left near home out shooting next week (the 3rd one is at annual training with the ARNG and cant come)

The other 2 are out of state and they know to run for home when the SHTF, but only one really believes me and has a bug out plan. I can only lead them to water, I can't make them drink

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It brought me a great grin, when I read your post Pirate. That is so good that you have those talks with her. She sounds really smart. My son just brought a magazine to my attention last night, that is a prepping mag. I love it that he is with me on this, of not much else. I like the Dad tax on Halloween. Too bad I didn't think of it when my son was young.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts