Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in many of the BOB lists: sewing kit. Just what goes into a sewing kit?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Needles (several sizes and types), some thread, a few buttons of the size you use, a needle threader (for us old guys who don't see as well as we used to up close), a bobbin, small swatches of cloth for repairing holes, Scissors and some 6, 10, and 15 pound test fishing line (for sutures and other uses).

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Just be sure that you get quality thread, my kit had some, and when I tried using it, I found that I baught such a cheap quality, the thread was weak as heck..

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Just be sure that you get quality thread, my kit had some, and when I tried using it, I found that I baught such a cheap quality, the thread was weak as heck..
Right on Deebo test your stuff don't just bag something up and expect it to work when you need it.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I have always made my own sewing kits. I buy needles, thread, (the threading tool usually comes with the needles), buttons (compare them to my shirt buttons), and the rest all in separate pieces and then put it together in a home made heavy paper envelope.
The little "travel sewing kits" are practically worthless. Build it up of quality stuff that you can use and leave the cheap packaged kit to the guys in business suits.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I only buy polyester thread, stay away from cotton

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have bought a treadle sewing maching from my aunt. I also have lots of thread, zippers, buttons (but you can always make them from wood or antlers). I've got extra needles for the sewing machine, and little oil cans for it, also. As for a BOB sewing kit, I have fishing line, dental floss, carpet thread, needles, buttons, Safety pins, a couple of horse blanket pins, diaper pins, and a couple of strong zippers (for jeans).

I'm looking for a leather awl w/ neddles inside the handle. I'm also looking for more carpet thread for coats, jeans, etc. I'm hoping I don't have to fix harness for a while, but will have stuff to do it with.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
For leather goods I use a thread that is treated to be fire retardent (aircraft use) it is about 1/16" wide and 1/64" thick and it is also good for bowstrings. I made a string for my old crossbow (home made) that never did fail. I have big spools of the stuf and some of it comes coated and some is not. I always wax it when I sew a holster or knife sheath. I also make all my leather working tools and springs.

Reactions: longrider

·
Super Moderator
9,041 Posts
I have bought a treadle sewing maching from my aunt. I also have lots of thread, zippers, buttons (but you can always make them from wood or antlers). I've got extra needles for the sewing machine, and little oil cans for it, also. As for a BOB sewing kit, I have fishing line, dental floss, carpet thread, needles, buttons, Safety pins, a couple of horse blanket pins, diaper pins, and a couple of strong zippers (for jeans).

I'm looking for a leather awl w/ neddles inside the handle. I'm also looking for more carpet thread for coats, jeans, etc. I'm hoping I don't have to fix harness for a while, but will have stuff to do it with.
Try these links:
Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl Kit Stewart Manufacturing Includes Awl, Needles, Coarse Thread, Instructions
Quick Stitch Sewing Awl

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thanks, Guys! I've got the Speedy Stitcher saved to my favorites and will order it right away. It is exactly what I have seen and was wanting. Cool.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
PaulS, Thanks for the heads up on the Aircraft thread. I'll look on the net for this. You guys are soooo great at helping others learn. I do appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have a small sewing kit that fits into a larger repair kit. I keep a couple of different sized needles, some safety pins and thread. The thread I have found that is the best for me is Kevlar thread. Thin, lightweight and stronger than [email protected]@. I think I bought a bobin of it at Countycom.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found a list online that mentions stuff you should stock up on at the dollar store for your BOB.. It seems fairly complete, and I think its a great idea.

Dollar stores: emergency supplies

Scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
sew_kit.jpg I have to recommend this. I'm all for "Screw kits, build 'em yerself!!!" BUT... This is just too easy for a BOB. The needle is EXTREMELY easy to thread and stays threaded. I think on the box it even says something along the lines of, "A child could thread this needle...Blindfolded." The kit it comes with is almost a comprehensive sewing kit. The only thing I added to this kit was a few fabric patches of my own for small repairs. It has a tiny, yet efficient pair of scissors, a few spools of thread, a bunch of the "1 Second" needles, a rubber thimble, a measuring tape, and a small plastic container for the needles since the original round container they come in, doesn't fit inside the box that holds everything. Everything has it's own fitted plastic tray. The hardware for sewing is located in a built in section with a piece of plastic that slides in acting as a lid that holds all of it firmly into place. The absolute best thing???? I found this at the Dollar Tree so yes, it was only one dollar. I give this thing a 10 out of 10, a must buy for BOB's, and all you need for a "survival" sewing kit. Now if you're going to be sewing canvas tarps, or leather, or things of that nature...Well I'm not the man to ask about that. heehee:grin:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Good thread!...no, the article....we use polyester thread only also,needles,thimble,a stitch ripper,a small leatherman to push the needles through heavy material and,some good dental floss like johnson & johnson...no cheap crap floss.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Definately add heavy needles that are designed for heavy denim or leather. They can come in handy if you have a blowout on your backpack.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts