Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_6D6DB6CDFDF3-1.jpeg

Just saw this. Have done no research on it yet.

Quick thought-- if you're on Twitter, be sure you follow your local National Weather Service(s). This is from the NOAA NWS Storm Prediction Center. I've learned they don't always get things right, but they're not always wrong.

Also-- if you're at all into weather watching, I highly recommend Radar Scope. Even the free version is excellent.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There doesn't appear to be a free version of Radar Scope for Android.
My mistake. I'm sorry-- I was thinking of the other weather app that I really like (for different reasons), Windy. It does have a free android version. (Info on WIndy in the links below.)

Radar Scope gives you un-smoothed radar images for every single radar tower in the world. It's worth $9.99. (It's worth the upgrade, too, IMHO.)

If you want an in depth tutorial on RS before buying it, written in ordinary user-friendly language, check this out:

https://www.bigfoodetc.com/2019/05/...on-on-bad-weather-pt-3-ill-see-for-myself-1b/

https://www.bigfoodetc.com/2019/05/05/radar-scope-update/

Here's a link to a series of posts on apps & more for preparing for bad weather: https://www.bigfoodetc.com/series/bad-weather/

I just switched from a droid to an iPhone and one of the first things I did was download RS. Not what you need days & days & days out but nothing beats it as bad weather approaches. (No. I do not work at RS!!)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also-- another mistake. RS is available only for the US (including Alaska & Hawaii), and Canada. Windy is available US, Europe, parts of Asia etc.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have been using the SPC Storm Prediction Center formerly NSSL products for a long time!
Pretty much all these folks do is forecast and monitor areas where severe weather may develop or
is happening, thunderstorms, snow/ice events etc. I find their 1 to 3 day severe outlook pretty accurate
and watch the 4 to 8 day. During thunderstorm events I watch the "Meso Discussions" and on this they will have
an area defined for potential severe weather usually a few hours before the action starts happening.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Prayers up. Specialize in trying to dodge tornadoes around these parts. Rode out a tropical storm at Corpus one time. It was not nice.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We have not had a winter here in Wisconsin this year. At least not close to normal. Yes we have had some cooled and little snow. I have not plowed of shoveled snow once this season. Right now the fields are almost bear of snow. First week of January I could work outside in just a long sleeve shirt. That does not mean it could not change fast this time of year . Kind of an old rule of mine is get past the first two weeks of February and it all down hill fast. We need a good deep freeze below zero for a few days at least. It kills off pest that other wise the rest of the year will bother us and crops.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Its 50 F at Slippy Lodge, my Saints done lost, but I'm comfortably marinating in some bourbon watching the Seahawks v Eagles and, what the heck, I've got the firewood so why not start a cozy little fire in the fireplace?

The Dogs are cuddled up in their places and Mrs S is due home in about 3 hours from siting with her Alzheimer's Eat-Up Mom...Mom in Law is happy though she doesn't know if its winter spring summer or fall or whether to crap in her diaper or not, but I can still get her to smile...:tango_face_smile::tango_face_smile:

So what if severe weather comes my way?

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,647 Posts
Its 50 F at Slippy Lodge, my Saints done lost, but I'm comfortably marinating in some bourbon watching the Seahawks v Eagles and, what the heck, I've got the firewood so why not start a cozy little fire in the fireplace?

The Dogs are cuddled up in their places and Mrs S is due home in about 3 hours from siting with her Alzheimer's Eat-Up Mom...Mom in Law is happy though she doesn't know if its winter spring summer or fall or whether to crap in her diaper or not, but I can still get her to smile...:tango_face_smile::tango_face_smile:

So what if severe weather comes my way?
My mil wished the girls a Happy Easter this Christmas. God bless her, she can still smile. Cancer and Dementia are a very bad combo.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Severe weather came thru and trees down, power lines down etc. Everything at Slippy Lodge was battened down and secured so no damage. Right before dark fired up my new Dual Fuel 4400 Watt Generator and got a few creature comforts going. Main refrigerator is humming along as is a fan for air circulation (Its still nearly 70 degrees and humid! WTF?) and a light in the main room.

Took the 4 wheeler out to check my neighbors places and some major trees down but no buildings damaged.

Grilled a couple of steaks and sweet potatoes on the gas grill and decided to hook up the satelite internet and direct tv to the genny and watched the end of the 49'ers v. Vikings game. Titans v Ravens coming up. Duro Max Dual Fuel Generator so far is a well running machine and I have not even come close to maxing out the watts. Running on LP gas and tank is barely registering any loss of fuel.

I love being prepared!

·
Registered
24,402 Posts
Severe weather came thru and trees down, power lines down etc. Everything at Slippy Lodge was battened down and secured so no damage. Right before dark fired up my new Dual Fuel 4400 Watt Generator and got a few creature comforts going. Main refrigerator is humming along as is a fan for air circulation (Its still nearly 70 degrees and humid! WTF?) and a light in the main room.

Took the 4 wheeler out to check my neighbors places and some major trees down but no buildings damaged.

Grilled a couple of steaks and sweet potatoes on the gas grill and decided to hook up the satelite internet and direct tv to the genny and watched the end of the 49'ers v. Vikings game. Titans v Ravens coming up. Duro Max Dual Fuel Generator so far is a well running machine and I have not even come close to maxing out the watts. Running on LP gas and tank is barely registering any loss of fuel.

I love being prepared!
Limbs down, here. Nothing else.

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
This weather is stupid crazy. Today, here in the mountains of Pennsylvania it was 63 degrees. That is highly unusual for January weather here. Tonight it is in the 50s. Again unusual. But after midnite they are calling for high winds gusting to 50 mph. Crazy! I lowered my flagpole, brought in the garbage cans, secured all loose gear in the yard, etc. We are all prepared for power outages.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
At the old age of 57, I no longer get excited, worried, scare, or upset with the prospect of snow, high wind, thunder, forest fire, antichrist, alien invasion.....

when it happens I will break out my shovel, generator, rifle, food, slippy pike or other item as needed

good to know stuff is coming but I have seen most of it before

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

I love being prepared!
Love my duel fuel generators. Definitely the way to go. Propane is easier and cleaner to store and will last years.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts

I love being prepared!
That Duro Max Dual Fuel Generator is one of the three I have, it is on standby and connected to a 100# tank not a 20#.

Have run the place for a test, but not needed for an event yet, no gas has ever been put in it in the 6 years on the floor.

In reality only run the oil burners, a few lights and the refrigerator plus a freezer with it.

All lights are now LED's.

I plug it into one of the MIG welding machines sockets.

Its backup is a 7,500 watt gas job.

The third is a diesel 3 phase for shop machines, no electronics in this one.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
That Duro Max Dual Fuel Generator is one of the three I have, it is on standby and connected to a 100# tank not a 20#.

Have run the place for a test, but not needed for an event yet, no gas has ever been put in it in the 6 years on the floor.

In reality only run the oil burners, a few lights and the refrigerator plus a freezer with it.

All lights are now LED's.

I plug it into one of the MIG welding machines sockets.

Its backup is a 7,500 watt gas job.

The third is a diesel 3 phase for shop machines, no electronics in this one.
I have never put gas in mine either. I run it twice a year or so but so far, I have not had to use it in any event. Last Hurricane that came through here dumped a mountain of water and flooded everything (Harvey) but the power stayed on in my area. I have gone through a hurricane and gone for weeks without power afterwards, a miserable experience. Never again.

Reactions: Marica and SOCOM42

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
I have commercial 100# tanks that are over 30 years old as far as the propane is concerned.

The tanks themselves were made in the 50's, inspected dozens of times judging by the stampings.

The contents will never go bad, it is a gas liquefied under pressure and has no organics or O2 to deteriorate with.

It has already been stored in the same conditions for millions of years.

Methane, which was used for almost a 100 years for heating and lighting was removed from coal in a gassifier process.

It was then pumped into huge holding tanks while demand was low.

Those are the tanks that some of you may remember at the "gasworks", they would rise and fall all the time.

Again, a carbonic gas that was trapped millions of years ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts