Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Try to stay in the best shape you can. Basic fire arms instruction and get one. Try to be close to real family that will not abandon you

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Exactly,
Try to be in the best shape you can. It will make it much easier on you and your group. More than likely, the elderly wont be doing the brunt of the physical labor but will still need to be in shape to travel and help out when needed. Something that a lot of the seniors have is knowledge and experience and make sure to share as much as you can with your friends and family who will be with you..

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's great to hear about our "seasoned citizens" wanting to be prepared. In an emergency situation, they are always the most vulnerable, especially to loser looters! What has already been mentioned is great advice, and I would add that staying mentally sharp by exercising your mind on a regular basis is a must. Also, have a self defense plan, and a bug out plan in place.

"People don't plan to fail, they just fail to plan"

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Plenty of places you can buy food stores. But what about sustainable food stores? For a senior to keep in shape gardening & small livestock will help & benefit you. And learning how to preserve food as well as grow & raise it puts you ahead of the crowd. By constently learning you will keep your mind sharp.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
And take it slow. Don't jump in but research alternatives. Check out the lds food plan, understand firearms and what works for you (and doesn't) and network with others that think the same.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Know what your personal vulnerabilities are. If your bones are weak, you don't want a gun that has a big kick. Get at least a 90 day supply of medications. Talk to your doctor about your plans,and why you'd like more than 90 days, if possible. Cardio exercise is important. Remember knowledge is power. Get out of Dodge before the SHTF. Talk to your pastors about a church prep group. Maybe the church would be a good bug in location.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Id stick with family or a very good friend guess I was always brought up to see the value in my elders I cant imagine abandoning them. Plus value yourself you still have a lot to contribute even if its not front line work someone has to watch the children teach them tend hearth and home these things count for a lot and enable the younger folks to do what they need too. Never forget your only as good as think you are.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Staying as physically fit (as much as possible) is sound advice, yet bugging out may or may not be an option for seniors who prep. Depends on the person.

It is a fact if you are reading this you either are or are going to be a senior one day. It's just a matter of time. I just think age is something that touches all of us. Is mentioning getting old and prepping taboo?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
No, its not taboo. I have always seen my elders as a wealth of experience and knowledge, and could not think of abandoning any of my elder family members, both as a matter of love and respect, and as a matter of practicality. There are simply things that they know, that I don't.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am 65, both wheels are bad and my wife and I have only one kidney each. I plan to bug in. My home has good fields of fire. Gut shots will be most effective.

I believe good drinking water will be the biggest issue not only for seniors but everyone.

It will not take long before everyone will be on foot a factor those bugging out should consider.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Being young myself, I can't offer any advice. BUT my ex fiancées grandmother is well I to her 80's. she's Italian and makes everything from scratch when she cooks. She is WELL active and very healthy. I asked her one day how she does it. This was her response: "a car that sits in the garage, deteriorates quicker than a car that gets used and maintained."

In other words. She MOVES. Stays active. This woman makes her own wine, makes nyokies by hand, cooks 10 course meals on holidays. Vacuums her house with an old heavy vacuum. But the key is, staying active. Doesn't matter what. Just keep moving :)

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you don't have a reason to get out of bed, you will likely die during the night. Keep active and always add new goals as you complete your current ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.