Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have two of the swiss army packs, but dont find them comfortable.
i dont like the wieght distibution.

i bought one of these today
with the medal frame- i figure i could repurpose the frame ifn i have to...

High Sierra Backpack, 50 Liter Foxhound Frame Pack - Backpacks & Laptop Bags - Handbags & Accessories - Macy's

im going to have this modified... power commander turbo boost- haha- naw, put a coupla wheels so i can roll the damn thing if i have to...

i looked at the other back packs too and wondered about getting to things- having to unload the darned thing just to get something out of the bottom. thats not very tac lol

what features do you look for in your bug out bag?
what is important to you?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Shotlady, that looks like a very good pack. Just curious, have you considered an internal frame pack instead of an external frame pack like the one you bought? I only ask because you mentioned the comfort issue and generally, internal frame packs conform to your body more (thus, more comfortable) than external frames. Internals are also a bit more maneuverable. Either way, learn how to really mount the pack on to your body and use the straps. There's actually a little more to it than throwing it on your back and cinching everything tight (such as when and in what order to tighten your shoulder, chest, and lumber straps). Once you get your pack, walk in to any REI store with it and they'll be happy to show you how. Learning the proper way will make it more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naw i didnt know think about that...

jt, i icked this one so i wouldnt have to dig deep down to get my stuff from the bottom. this seems i can separate better. and again if i need to repurpose the metal on here i can... and i also like that i could do a coupla small wheels to put on my motobecane idnt i had to roll that thang right after my biclycle.

i really dont know what to look for. i shoulda axed this before i bought. but im thinking its an upgrade. i can always get more. people give me macys card. i think its their way of pointing out i look a bit redneck like with out saying it. lol i had the hardest time as i have pretty much everything i want and so do the boys. we just want more guns and ammo. and fire arms accessories...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
A good pack to me has to fit not only your body well, so you can comfortably carry it over many miles, but fit your needs for space, appearance (camo), organization, expansion, and be well made. The bigger a pack is too the more you'll have to work moving around it in heavy brush and tight spaces. That frame looks huge to me, but in the same turn it does provide more places to tie other thing onto it like your sleeping bag, a rifle, fishing rod, tent, etc. All you can do though when you buy online and haven't had the option to physically try it on to see how it fits you, is do it when you get it. Than either return it or sell if it doesn't. Or give it to someone else. I'd have to wonder about the sewing on that pack. I remember the High Sierra's when I took a second to look at them in stores being poorly sewn, without stress point reinforcement and using light thread. I'd say a good sewing kit to be able to sew that pack as needed should be a priority. Last thing you want is your pack coming apart when you need it most. It's why I stick to particular brands these days.

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is probably a good time to branch out and discuss the merits of internal vs external vs no frame. A pack, like a gun, has to fit the owner and the purpose it's being used for. External frame packs are excellent in certain conditions. For example, when hunting, you leave the pack at camp and carry the frame only. Then, when you quarter out your game, you strap it to the frame and can carry it back to your base camp/BOL/etc... or haul firewood, heavy gear, water containers, etc. Another example: If it's a strong frame (and many newer ones are not)... you can use it as a hunting seat when braced and secured across two branches up in a tree. Example 3: You can attach two long poles to the frame and use it as the cross section of a travois to haul heavy gear or game. The idea is to be creative.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to have the option of ingenuity was why i went external frame. in case i needed to repurpose the frame. or add things on... i will make sure to have a sewing kit on hand!.
thanks for letting me know what to think about.

·
Registered
640 Posts
No worries.... And Shotlady... did you get my PM? The package went out yesterday.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ohh no, no i didnt! yay!!! woad is my santa!!! thank you so much i super appreciate you! yay!
im failing on the internet lately! hahaha. thank you so much ! yay!!!!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It say in the description it's got the internal pocket for a bladder, but not the size. Size is always a problem. I like the 3 liter sizes, but lots of packs haven't fit them well where I've had to use 2 liter versions. Of course the more water you carry the more weight you do also which is why some like to stick with the 2 liters. That's all good and well if you've got the water sources a plenty along your route to get more water and the filter to clean it. If you don't though, you have a liter less than you could have of the most important intake for your body..

Amazon.com: camelbak - Hydration Packs / Backpacks & Bags: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
93 Posts
any worth while sports place will have weights and will allow you to try it out in store with weights, up stairs, around the main floor. (and hopefully a employe who knows the product)
That way you know right then and there if it is comfy

I did this at REI & Sportsmans Warehouse until i found the one I like

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we'll see how this goes. i may end up at the stores riding things a round to find the perfect one. but while i wait this is on its way!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts