Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I still dig my Hi-Point 995TS and it eats FMJ .9mm like I eat M&M's...which is saying something. This gun will be in my family from now on but since I have a large stock of .9mm ammo I want to add another .9mm rifle to my stock. I do have two iron clad requirements for such a gun and of course cost is always a factor but no rifle will ever compete with Hi-Point in this area. First of all I ONLY want a rifle that is extremely dependable and not a high maintenance gun safe queen. My next requirement is that it be capable of loading bulk magazines (30+ rounds). Of course I more than prefer that it be made in America and of all American parts but I might flex on this point for the right weapon. I know that there are some very knowledgable people on this forum in regards to firearms and would love to hear your feedback on what gun I need to find.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Kel Tec is on my short list. I have heard that these tend to have feed issues have you experienced any issues like this with yours??!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've got a CX4 Storm, a couple of them actually, because they use the same magazines as my Beretta 92s.

The cool thing about any kind of carbine, be they whatever, is if you have interchangeable mags with your sidearms. And the added barrel length does help the ballistics of most pistol rounds.

I wish I could find a really good carbine that accepts 1911 mags in 45 ACP.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I've got a CX4 Storm, a couple of them actually, because they use the same magazines as my Beretta 92s.

The cool thing about any kind of carbine, be they whatever, is if you have interchangeable mags with your sidearms. And the added barrel length does help the ballistics of most pistol rounds.

I wish I could find a really good carbine that accepts 1911 mags in 45 ACP.
May need to look into one of those never knew they used the 92F mag I have a box full of them.
I had looked at the High point .45 carbine I could make an extend mag for it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I really like your Dewalt case. That's about as low profile as you can get.
I use'em too. I've got a bunch of empty cases in the shop waiting to be converted.

What you do is you go find out where there is a lot of construction going on and you ask around to see if anyone has any empties or will save them for you. I found one guy who would hand me a half dozen empty cases every few months, and I'd give him a 50 ct box of reloads for his XD. It was a good trade for me and we've actually become friends since.

They are out there to be had - just ask around. Kind of like five gallon buckets from bakeries and sandwich shops.

Reactions: C5GUY

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The only one's I'd trust to be a 100% reliable and tough enough in design to hold up to shtf abuse is the Beretta CX4 and a 9mm AR15 of good quality build. The Hi-point and Keltec are not durable in design to me and though the one's I've fired were reliable to a point, I still wouldn't bet my life on it. The Vector Uzi's are tough, but I've never liked there quality of build. I've had 2 CX4's and besides my former Scout M1A, is the only other rifle I've sold that I miss. I might buy another, but with the caliber, it's still just a partial home defense carbine and fun gun for me. If shtf I wouldn't grab it before a real rifle caliber rifle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What Fuzzee said.

While the Hi Point and Keltec carbines are great plinking guns they are not really designed to stand up to the rigors of tough use. HK 94's meet all your criteria but are obviously not American made and are quite expensive. The Turkish Bellator copies are pretty high quality builds and are closest in design to the original HK's and maintain about a 99% interchangeability of parts with the originals.

You will get a slight increase in velocity with the longer barrel and and increase in accuracy since it is a long gun but it is still a pistol caliber you will not see a great increase in terminal performance. If you decide to go with an AR type you will have to choose between three basic types. The first type uses a block placed into the magwell of a standard AR lower and locks in with the lower's mag release button. These are good in that you can simply remove the block and change out the upper and have a functional AR to a point, I believe you have to change the buffer and maybe the hammer not sure. The second type is a dedicated 9mm lower with a magwell only designed to accept the 9mm mags. The third being a true dedicated 9mm carbine that takes pistol mags like below.

The solution may be here:

Home Page

Looks like an AR, American made, takes Glock mags. Not sure on price all depends on your budget.

Gallo just for you. I also comes in a .45 caliber that takes Glock mags.

JR Carbine Products

However if I remember right the Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 took 1911 mags.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What Fuzzee said.

While the Hi Point and Keltec carbines are great plinking guns they are not really designed to stand up to the rigors of tough use. HK 94's meet all your criteria but are obviously not American made and are quite expensive. The Turkish Bellator copies are pretty high quality builds and are closest in design to the original HK's and maintain about a 99% interchangeability of parts with the originals.

You will get a slight increase in velocity with the longer barrel and and increase in accuracy since it is a long gun but it is still a pistol caliber you will not see a great increase in terminal performance. If you decide to go with an AR type you will have to choose between three basic types. The first type uses a block placed into the magwell of a standard AR lower and locks in with the lower's mag release button. These are good in that you can simply remove the block and change out the upper and have a functional AR to a point, I believe you have to change the buffer and maybe the hammer not sure. The second type is a dedicated 9mm lower with a magwell only designed to accept the 9mm mags. The third being a true dedicated 9mm carbine that takes pistol mags like below.

The solution may be here:

Home Page

Looks like an AR, American made, takes Glock mags. Not sure on price all depends on your budget.

Gallo just for you. I also comes in a .45 caliber that takes Glock mags.

JR Carbine Products

However if I remember right the Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 took 1911 mags.
My Hungarian 7.62x39 AMD-65 is tough as they come and it's really a good shooting rifle. IMHO a much better choice then a 9mm or 45acp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Look at the JR/Just Right carbine.

I have one in 9mm, which uses Glock magazines, and I am VERY happy with it. Mine shoots 2" to 2 1/2" five shot 100 yard groups with various 9mm loads, from military spec 9mm NATO BALL to 147 gr HP. So far I have yet to have a malfunction.

A buddy of mine is a SWAT cop and he "gifted" me with 3000 rds of 9mm ammo he no longer needed [ he shoots .40 now ]. With all that free ammo, I started looking for a 9mm carbine to shoot it off in. I bought a 9mm JR carbine and also bought myself a 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock. Now I have a pistol/carbine pair that works great for me.

PS: The magazine well is REMOVEABLE and interchangeable on the JR, and kits are available to convert calibers ... 9mm/.40/.45,
AND
the .45 can be had with mag wells that fit either the Glock or Govt model style mags.
The JR carbines are good kit, but not well known ... yet.

OR,
if you live where these are legal,
you might want to check out a carbine conversion kit for your Glock.

ASSEMBLED Glockenspiel is on the bottom

[;{)
LAZ 1

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a Colt AR15 9mm. I really enjoy this gun. Being a Colt, not cheap. Takes 30 round mags.
The Colt AR-15 in .9mm would be my #1 choice but these dudes are big time expensive and out of my price range for now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts