Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! It has been a while since I've been on.

I'm in the market for a plate carrier. nothing large or complex, just something for the house. I've heard of small plate carriers that hold your handgun, as well as a few mags and a flashlight. Something like this would be ideal. I can't seem to find anything online- Any ideas?

·
Registered
574 Posts
a "plate carrier" or a chest rig?? Any plate carrier is going to be of a large enough size to easily accommodate a handgun a few mags and a flashlight but understand that it carries ballistic plates that can stop up to 7.62 AP rounds and its pretty much a vest in your size with either velcro or fast tek fastners to secure it in place around your body and not really an around the house item. A chest rig on the other hand is a different setup altogether in your case it might look like suspenders that have a holster a couple mag pouches and some way to carry a flashlight is that what your looking for??

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have been resurching these alot the last few months, the sad part is I have come to the conclusion that I am still to fat for one. I got about another 50 or so more lbs to lose before one of these will fit me properly :-( there is a ton of these on line, Google plate carrier or chest rig.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
That doesn't give a lot of coverage. Make sure to ask first that they shoot you in the plate. Sadly pretty much all body armor has open spots. Some more than others. I think you'd be better with a larger vest with good molle setup and customize your attachment pieces. Like these. The vest I wear for work takes about 10 seconds to put on.

Load Carrying Systems - ProtechTactical.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a condor molle chest rig with a slot for a plate. I wasn't big on chest rigs and it was an accident that I got it. But I've grown to like it because I can wear it for extended time inside of my jeep. I have a pistol holster on it,a triple mag holder; one for my hand gun and one for my ar, a dump pouch and id/storage pouch. I'm going to get one for my wife soon and probably going to get a full vest for both of us in the future.
Just my 2c
James

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check out the Condor MOPC. Comfy, not too expensive ($70), accepts side plates, detachable cummerbund. I have mine with a 3 mag kangaroo (3xM4, 3xpistol), IFAK, radio, gps. Toying with the chest holster, but not sure yet. Check out NUtnfancy on YouTube, great review of this PC.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'd recommend staying away from Condor. I've used some of their kit before, I regretted the purchase every time. Stitches rip, buttons rust or break, elastic warps.... it has never been a good experience. The plate carrier might last for a while, but any prolonged period of heavy use will likely destroy them. Save up a bit, and get a slightly more expensive, and durable, version.

For plate carriers, there are too many options to list. It depends on the use. If you're looking for a very basic, no frills plate hanger like the the one you linked, US Palm may be the way to go. I'd check out Ebay before you buy though. Besides the plate carriers, you're likely to find half-way affordable SAPI or ESAPI plates on there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Theres a few iba vests for sale in my area. $100 if I remember right. Have the kevlar in them too. Let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok here is the thing about plate carriers (PC) or as we call them in the marine corps (flaks).

They are heavy I don't care who you are. 30 pounds of fabric and ceramic plating might seem like no big deal but wear that thing for 18 hrs a day while carrying a day pack and you will wish you could take it off.

It is also not good if you are going to be in a defensive posture. You could wait for weeks for the enemy to attack and they may never even come.

Once a ceramic plate is hit, it's pretty much done and they only stop up to 7.62mm X 39mm. (Steel plates will stop a 7.62mm X 54rmm and can survive multiple hits, but they weigh a ton more and you get spalling)

The only reason you would need a PC is if you knew without a doubt that there were people coming after you with high powered rifles or you are taking the offensive and attacking another group of people.

What I would recommend for most people is something like this

AR500 Armor Operator Plate Carrier - Coyote

With this soft armor inside instead of plates.

AR500 Armor Carbon Nanotube IIIA 10" x 12" ASC Body Armor

That will protect you again all pistol caliber ammunition and even shotgun rounds. That is what I would recommend but I don't know exactly what kind of situation you are in. Take the information and use what you can.

·
Registered
37 Posts
T.A.G. makes quality gear. I have the Rampage plate carrier and it is great. I use it a lot in my occupation. You can get a soft armor package for it as well as front and rear plates. If you buy cheaper carriers and use them you will have to buy again in a few years. You might as well get quality gear the first time. T.A.G. makes a wide selection of carriers to meet your needs. There are tons of quality manufacturers out there that make real quality hard use gear.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I bought a Condor quick release on a impulse buy, I have not gotten to use it alot. The reasoning it it was big enough to fit. I am still looking at plates to buy for it. I have also been looking at the P.I.G. carriers and I am about sold on them but dropping 300 dollars on one not including plates is alot.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I let my wife carry the plate to the dinner table...

In all seriousness, armor will slow you down and provide a false sense of security which is likely to get you killed. If you are going to raid some place that you expect to be filled with armed people then I can understand the desire for armor but it is not a great idea to think you are bullet-proof in a self defense situation. You still need to protect your head, neck, hands, legs and belly so all you are protecting is your heart and lungs. If someone is accurate enough to hit you there then it is just as easy to place a bullet through your head.

·
Registered
91 Posts
TAG, Shellback, and BDS are US manufacturers of tactical gear. Great quality, awesome warranties, and multiple options to choose from depending on what your wanting out of your gear.

Body armor should be a priority, weight can be an issue however DKX manufactures 2.9lb lightweight armor that has a positive buoyancy(floats) and is capable of stopping up to .308 with spalling protection. Why is armor important to have? Its important because eventually you may have to go somewhere else in a shtf scenario its added on in the event you encounter 'unfriendly' people. If you do have enough supplies to last a long time, some 'desperate' people may come looking to take.

Body armor isn't a false sense of security(bullet proof is a fictional name for it) its added protection. You should still take measures to ensure you don't get shot. That's like telling firefighters their 'fireproof' gear means they can just hang out in fire all day. Its proper terming is fire resistant so if they go into a burning house they have that added protection so they don't burn up. It provides just enough security to stop common rounds at least once. Its effective, a lot of military have been saved by body armor.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ok here is the thing about plate carriers (PC) or as we call them in the marine corps (flaks).

They are heavy I don't care who you are. 30 pounds of fabric and ceramic plating might seem like no big deal but wear that thing for 18 hrs a day while carrying a day pack and you will wish you could take it off.

(Little tired of this one. by that reasoning you should leave your rifle at home too cuss it sucks to carry and carrying something in your hands is alot harder fyi I have carried over 150lbs for a 5 hour period it sucked but it needed to be done I know guys with better stories but I know mine to be true)

It is also not good if you are going to be in a defensive posture. You could wait for weeks for the enemy to attack and they may never even come. \

(once again complecency kills before anything else. What about the scout that see's you are well armed and prepared to make a stand there is something to be said for intimidation value plates or no plates. It also wont only be amatuers out there do all military families prep no didnt think so. So dont make it any easier for them to take you out on a longshot.)

Once a ceramic plate is hit, it's pretty much done and they only stop up to 7.62mm X 39mm. (Steel plates will stop a 7.62mm X 54rmm and can survive multiple hits, but they weigh a ton more and you get spalling)

Half truths e sapi plates will stop hits from 7.62X54mm but the tighter the grouping the higher the odds of penetration which is defined as 1 inch of penetration past the normal curve of the plate with several round being placed in close proximity. In reality it provides a higher level of surviviability then whats implied because the level of damage you receive will be much closer to the surviable side of things. The military uses ceramic so spalling doesnt hit nearby troopers. AR500 steel plates while they are indeed heavier on the order of a pound or two depending, they provide an even higher level of protection check it out lapua vs ar500 youtube it wish I had the link right now incidentally the ceramic plates are designed to work with soft armor so you actually net a lighter weight if you have just the ar500 plate there is also a company that sells them in a "traditional" plate cut and curve they will also coat them in rhino lining I believe to prevent spalling.

The only reason you would need a PC is if you knew without a doubt that there were people coming after you with high powered rifles or you are taking the offensive and attacking another group of people.

(If you have an established homestead expect 1 to 100 of the millions of starving people looking for food to find you. I know I wouldnt hesitate if my baby was starving. Your footprint is going to be massive me personally I could prolly find you from miles and miles off hell if you have a driveway you will be found thats why I am staying mobile)

What I would recommend for most people is something like this

AR500 Armor Operator Plate Carrier - Coyote

With this soft armor inside instead of plates.

SOFT ARMOR Question why is the primary weapon a rifle. Answear for a reason range accuracy etc by the time they get into pistol range you got it coming for letting someone get that close to you.

AR500 Armor Carbon Nanotube IIIA 10" x 12" ASC Body Armor

That will protect you again all pistol caliber ammunition and even shotgun rounds. That is what I would recommend but I don't know exactly what kind of situation you are in. Take the information and use what you can.
(I would never say all mainly because it is known soft armor cannot stop all pistol cartridges take for example my 10mm Auto it has more power than a 357 and the velocity of a .40. With a normal charge I know it will barely penetrate lvl 3A soft armor with a ++P FMJ it will barly notice the SOFT armor(.40 is a10mm but 10mm was too powerful for the fbi so they toned it down by shortening the casing.)

Ok alittle rant sorry for it but truth is truth no matter who says it. Just to be clear when I talk about AR500 it is not a company it is a rating of steel that is designed to be resistant to vibration incidently its dam good at stoppin bullets.

(That being said body armor is not for everyone just like mudders on a large truck they give it the ability to plow through some rough terrain however they would not only be ridiculous on my ford focus the engine couldnt turn those things if it wanted to.)

Also please forgive the grammatical and spelling errors thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts