Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Lately, I've been changing my bug out idea to bugging in my house. I've been wondering what would be the best items to use in securing the windows in my house? I want something that will last so I was ruling out plywood, I also want something if I have to move slightly so I can defend my house. My house is block construction one story and my windows are impact resistant hurricane windows. I'm in the middle of changing all my doors over to steel hurricane ones. I was just wondering what you guys have done with your windows.
Thanks
James

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Sounds like with hurricane resistant windows you are already in pretty good shape! As for me I put 3M security film (Google/Youtube it) on most of my first floor windows and Glass Blocked the ones
I didn't put the film on. 3M film is tough stuff and qualifies for energy tax credits. I have had the film on my windows for 3 years now and absolutely no problems with it, you would never know it's there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That stuff is sweet!!!!
So you wouldn't worry about anything like bolt on shutters on top of that?
Thanks for the info
James

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The film is actually on the inside panes inside the house. It is pretty much indestructable and like I said you would not know it is there. The only concern the 3M rep had was the cat I have it is possible if the cat were to go crazy chasing a bug on the glass
that it is possible but not likely the cat may scratch the glass/film. I rolled the dice on that one and after three years and several cats the windows and the film are fine. I'm now looking at putting the film on my car windows to eliminate someone smashing a widow or carjacking deal.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
It would not be all that affordable, but it serves a dual purpose. In a crisis that window might be your intelligence source more so than any internet of the past. Looking out and knowing what you face is critical to defeating it. It if you were going to shoot out from inside your home it would likely come at a window. (yes I'd avoid that if you could - at all cost but still it could happen)

So whenever someone posted on Craigslist free bricks or I found some at a garage sale that were affordable I'd take them. I was able to build an enlcosure in front of two of my front of the house windows that fits a 55 gallon blue barrel inside of it, and I run rain water from the front side of the house into these. Any reasonable rain here fills them full off the front of the house which was otherwise not collecting any rain water. I can then water the front areas of the landscape the neighborhood likes to see free of city water that costs money. I attach a hose to the bottom of the barrel and gravity gives my rose garden out front ample supplies when its dry - then I wait for the next rain - roses are quite resilient and also serve a nifty benefit - no one likes to go through them.

My result here isn't going to stop someone from breaking a window, but if those barrels are full of water I feel pretty good about knealing in front of one of those windows and pointing a shot gun out. I don't think those barrels will stop everything - but I think they'll stop most things.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I found what appears to be a similar product from TAP plastics that's available for purchase, it is 4 mil but there is limited information on the product. Anyone heard of them?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Closest one is about 200 miles, plus I am cheap and handy.
Probably have to make a phone call to the number on the Madico site is my guess. Or find a local tint shop and ask them if they can get or install it. They say for the films to work well you should remove the windows completely for install.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi everyone
Lately, I've been changing my bug out idea to bugging in my house. I've been wondering what would be the best items to use in securing the windows in my house? I want something that will last so I was ruling out plywood, I also want something if I have to move slightly so I can defend my house. My house is block construction one story and my windows are impact resistant hurricane windows. I'm in the middle of changing all my doors over to steel hurricane ones. I was just wondering what you guys have done with your windows.
Thanks
James
Maybe I missed it, but bugging in against what? What are you expecting will come in through the window?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but bugging in against what? What are you expecting will come in through the window?
View attachment 2752 View attachment 2753 View attachment 2754

The few seconds or even minutes it slows them gives you enough time to arm yourself and prepare for the starving looting masses that will shortly follow even the smallest SHTF scenario. "Zombies" is you care to call them that. "Thieving Turds" would be another name.

·
Registered
559 Posts
View attachment 2752 View attachment 2753 View attachment 2754

The few seconds or even minutes it slows them gives you enough time to arm yourself and prepare for the starving looting masses that will shortly follow even the smallest SHTF scenario. "Zombies" is you care to call them that. "Thieving Turds" would be another name.
3M film is the perfect deterrent for that.

Next step up would be full on plywood or boarding it up, but OP stated he didn't' want to do that, so I think 3M and good 'blocking bars', or whatever you want to call them - just small boards you wedge into the frame to keep them from being opened - are your best bet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone.
I like the 3m film because it doesn't appear that I have something to hide by boarding up my windows. I'm worried that if and when something happens the other 95% of the people that live around me will quickly realize that I have something they don't have. And if it gets to bad i will load up the jeep and run a few over on my way out. :)

Thanks James

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks everyone.
I like the 3m film because it doesn't appear that I have something to hide by boarding up my windows. I'm worried that if and when something happens the other 95% of the people that live around me will quickly realize that I have something they don't have. And if it gets to bad i will load up the jeep and run a few over on my way out. :)
Thanks James
Ya, that film will hold. I'll take one of the neighbors cars and drive it right through your wall and take what I want.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts