Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen it much on this site, but some of the other sites Mrs Inor and I go to they seem to get into blood feuds over whether it is okay to vacuum seal heirloom seeds for long-term storage. So, we decided to start some heirloom peppers and tomatoes that we had sealed with a FoodSaver maybe 5 years ago. So, here is the result:

Brown Leaf vegetable Wood Ingredient Rectangle

The final stats:

- Every planting germinated.
- The tomatoes were breaking dirt within 2-3 days.
- The peppers took about a week or maybe 9 days. But the room where we started them does not get full sun all day and we have also several days recently without any direct sun. So I expect that slowed the peppers down some too.

So, based on this experience I am going with the notion that it is perfectly safe to vacuum seal seeds and expect them to grow in the future.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Good info, thanks for the post. I have bought a foodsaver vacuum sealer not too long ago, and have been considering sealing seeds. Thanks for sharing your finding with us. I been giving some thought towards cold weather foods, turnips for example, lots of things could happen that could disrupt our summer weather, and perhaps only things that can withstand and grow in cold weather might be all that gets us through.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I buy heirloom seeds and as Inor said, vacuum pack them and store in a dark cool closet. I also purchase cheap non-heirloom seeds and pack them away. Either for barter or for our own use. Every time I see seeds on sale, I pick up a bunch. I think it is the University of Colorado that did a many year long study on seed saving - they had success (85% germination) with fifteen year old seeds that were stored in zip lock bags with an oxygen absorber. Light, moisture and oxygen are all seed saving enemies. If you are considering saving seeds the book - Seed to Seed is excellent.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not surprised this worked I mean scientists have gotten Egyptian Pharaoh aged seeds to germinate and it I remember right they even went and made beer from the resulting grain crop.
Beer seeds - freakin' awesome!!! Mrs Inor already makes the cheese and I make the sausage. All we need to figure out is how to make my beer and her wine and we will be farting through silk!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts