Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want to save money washing clothes you can do what my fiance and I do. MAKE YOUR OWN!!!

Ok now if you are interested and don't already know how you will need the following. (Note: this is powder detergent and is very effective!)

1 Large mixing bowl
1 Grater (like a cheese grater)
1 Blender
1 Bar of hand soap (ones without moisturizers in them work best)
1 Box of 20 Mule Team Borax
1 Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 Container of Oxi Clean (plain, no scents)

Ok to start off what you want to do is grate your whole bar of soap into the large mixing bowl.
Then add 1 cup of the Arm & Hammer Soda and 1 cup of Borax.
Once those three are into the mixing bowl mix them up using a fork or something it can all mix through finely.
If you want you can add fragance oil 20 drops. (we use a nice lavender)
If you have added oil make sure you mix it really good again.
Ok get another container that you will be keeping the soap in, now take 1 cup at a time from your mixing bowl and add it into your blender.
After you have blended all of your powder you can start using it!
NOTE: This is much more effective than store bought detergent!! You only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load! ( IF MADE CORRECTLY!)
This is washing machine safe and has low suds and is compatible with HE machines!

Ok enjoy if you make any please post a picture on here so I can see it. This will save you a lot of money trust me!

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I've read similar recipes but have yet to try any, but I did just start a load of laundry with some store bought detergent

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would be amazed how long 1 batch would last you! This stuff is amazing. I would say it's because of the Borax and the Oxi Clean.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am an avid Tide user does it compare ??
And I am on a septic tank, our septic cleaner guy said always use liquid laundry soap? Anyone have any idea why???

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it may have something to do with the suds that the powder usually makes. But this kind is low suds and can be used on HE and I don't use Tide but I swear by this and it's good for whites!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Soap

I am an avid Tide user does it compare ??
And I am on a septic tank, our septic cleaner guy said always use liquid laundry soap? Anyone have any idea why???
Bubbles from detergent leave a ring of soap particles when they dissolve and can cause problems, liquid soap with the bubbles being lighter will not have the same effect.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I used the Duggars recipe for a long time and it worked well in my HE washer (HE washers are OK with recipes that use Fels Naptha soap, nothing else).

I have really sensitive skin so this soap works well for people with sensitivities. However, after I got pregnant last year, I stopped making this soap because of the chemicals involved. Borax, Washing Soda and Fels Naptha are all highly toxic and I didn't want to expose my baby to that during the soapmaking process. I plan to go back to making it once we are done having babies.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value - Duggar Recipes - The Duggar Family

·
Registered
99 Posts
My wife started making our own laundry soap about 6yrs ago for both us and her sisters family. We make a 6month batch each time in a 7gal bucket i found with lid, I know odd size right but that is what it is. We recycle the store bought bottles to use for the homemade stuff. When I have really dirty load, muddy, dusty quading stuff I use the store bought stuff. I am not sold on the Homemade stuff, I don't know her recipe I do know she has tried a couple of different recipes. Since I do most of the laudry in the house its my call.

This is a good prep however and something that needs to be practiced before hand.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the stuff I make is really good, expectially for the clothes that I used to work around in the garden or just regular outside work. I have found it to work good on almost anything and smell as good as you want it to smell.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Quick question or two... the recipe mentions using a blender and I'm curious if the spousal unit of anyone doing this will let you use the kitchen blender or if you keep a separate blender for projects like this? I'm just thinking through the process and am trying to balance clean-up effort, equipment costs, etc, against detergent costs and am just curious what other folks are doing and how the cost savings are actually playing out. Plus... my wife is convinced liquid is the way to go... so I'm curious if anyone has tried liquid soap vice a bar and tried to create liquid detergent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts