Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious about this for several years, thought I'd run this by the resident experts.:-D

My kids are all grown, yet I've kept our above ground pool going for years. I mention that point as we rarely use it. It is kept minimally maintained, such as chlorine, shocked from time to time, etc, mainly as a large water storage if needed.

My question is, the type of chlorine, clarrifier, ph Up / Down, that is added for pools in general,, how safe is this for human consumption?
I mainly just use and keep chlorine tablets in a floater, an occasional shock, not to mention the occasional sunscreen that washes off on the rare occasion someone jumps in to cool off.
Also, the pool has a plastic liner, which is probably not ideal either.

I've seen this on several shows to use the water from pools as a water source if needed, but can't help but wonder how safe this actually is.

Thanks.
 

·
Mod Squad
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Chlorine is chlorine, no matter the source. As long as it doesn't have a bunch of other stuff in it, there's no real difference. The real question is in concentration levels.

I have tested city water with my pool test kit, and the chlorine levels were off the scale. I'm talking so high they wouldn't recommend you swim in the stuff.

I don't really know the suggested concentrations if using granulated chlorine for treating drinking water. If I remember right, chlorine bleach is usually 5%-8% chlorine. I've always heard about 4 drops of this per quart is enough, assuming it doesn't also contain colorants or scents.

You could probably figure out the right amount of granulated chlorine by first mixing 16 drops of bleach with a gallon of distilled or chlorine free water and measuring the levels with your tester. Then take another gallon of chlorine free water and add small, measured amounts of chlorine until it tests to the same level. I'm not sure how accurate your pool tester might be, so if you're going to err, err on the side of caution.

Uncovered, the chlorine will gas out of the solution eventually. Of course, once its gone, more bacteria can grow in the water. I would let it sit a few hours or until the the water no longer smells like chlorine, then bottle it up.

I'm not a doctor or a chemist. If you try this and grow tentacles or a second head, don't come looking for me. I am presenting my opinion, not stating 100% certain fact. If you want in-depth info about water treatment and the like, go to the "Books..." section of this site and download the medical correspondence course pdfs I linked. This contains a course on water. (MD 0160 - Military Water Supply)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
If you use straight clorine you can consume it, but if you use treatments wit h algicides then you should not drink it, just check your labels to ensure there no algicides or at least stop using them.

Bleach will evaporate from water if you let it sit, so that is an easy way to remove the taste.

Amazon.com: In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock 24 X 1 lb. bags: Patio, Lawn & Garden

This is what I have, I just used it to bomb my well, normally I use 3 gallons of liquid bleach and flush for a day to improve the taste and kill the nasties, on my last bomb I used 1/3 cup of the pool shock and it solved the problem with no flushing.

Well and Water System Disinfection For Private Wells - EH: Minnesota Department of Health
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,086 Posts
No!, You don't know when your insides will be exposed to high doses of solar radiation and with the bug repellant you won't have to worry about catching the latest "bug" going around. Keep that stuff in the water.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top