Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I storage the most ammo in the basement, today i thinked about what happened if a fire destroy the basement.
As a Firefighter i dont want to make a risk to other firefighters.
What happens to ammo in metal nato ammoboxes ? Can it explode ?

This boxes i use

15697791gs.jpg

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I would certainly think so. It can cook off in the box if it gets hot enough. I think the best thing to do is keep it in your fireproof safe. I'm debating how to store mine. I can't afford a fireproof safe right now. I'll have about 3000 rounds of rifle ammo in a few different cans.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Not explode. As was stated, will cook off though. That is the primer or powder getting so hot the round ignites. But bullet one direction & case the other so highly reduced power.

A friend had a shed fire several years ago. He had stored 5gal fuel jugs with water in them then ontop. Plastic melted & cooled off the ammo cans & though the shed was a loss, there were not cook offs of ammo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Infos.

I Fireproof safe is to expensive for the ammo i have, i needed 2 big safes.

On youtube i found this videos

The only question is what happens in a closed metal ammobox, i think the presure will destroy the box.
I thinked to make holes in the bottom and close it with plastic, so will go the pressure on a fire out.

Greetings Peppi

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Not explode. As was stated, will cook off though. That is the primer or powder getting so hot the round ignites. But bullet one direction & case the other so highly reduced power.

A friend had a shed fire several years ago. He had stored 5gal fuel jugs with water in them then ontop. Plastic melted & cooled off the ammo cans & though the shed was a loss, there were not cook offs of ammo.
That is all most fire proof safes are (or once were). Between the walls are cells filled with water. As the temperature increases the cells burst and the water will keep the contents from burning or cooking off. Time of temperature is the unknown factor. I am sure with a little sheetrock and heavy plastic water containers you could equal a safe. Remember you do not want the plastic to melt too quickly.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I personally don't believe in safes, in the event of a break-in, just tells the bad guys where the goodies are. A sawzall will cut thru the sides of most safes. Best bet, bury most, keep some handy. jmho:) 1/4 inch steel door won't help if the rest is made of lesser material.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
If nothing else try to get an old refrigerator from the junk yard and store it in that. We had a neighbor a few years ago whose house burned down and when they went in afterwords the food in the refrigerator hadn't burned up although everything else in the kitchen had.
I have a medium size locking freezer that I store most of my ammo in, works for me.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Safe are not fire proof they are Resistant. Most common safes are 20-30 minutes at 1200 degrees very effective. The 1 hour safes go way up in price.
Ammo , first true home fires are kind of rare except when set on purpose.
If you can find a used freeze that has not had the insulation soaked they work great for ammo . It keeps it dry and away from moisture . Put a small dehumidify pack in it good to go.
They will hold up against a fire for a bit. Think about where you put it envision a fire what around it or on top would collapse on it and burn.
Refrigerators do not work as well because shelves will not support the weight of ammo.
Note train dog to eat anyone carrying a saws all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Really? They won't go off? Let me tell you something. In 2005 we were hunting in New Mexico and we started a fire in an existing fire pit. After about 15 minutes there was a sizzle, then the distinct sound of a round going off. The side window of my Jeep was gone and a dent in the the roof from the inside.

Powder is powder, explosives are explosives... the fact that they are not in a chamber preventing backward movement does not mean that a projectile will not leave the casing... it will just leave it at a far less velocity.

Newton was not an idiot and the LAWS of thermodynamics are actually laws.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I store mine in bags sealed with my vacuum sealer, no water or moisture gets in. I am not worried about an explosion, the rounds would go off individually and lack the power to launch a projectile very far.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Watch that video with the sound off you would think it was an Obama campaign ad.
sad to see all that ammo destroyed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Smitti

I Feeled pain on this video, but its a good demonstration.
But i liked more to burn it in my guns ^^

Thx for all the infos at all =)

A fridge is too big for my basement, i think i need to test what happens to a ammocan with ammo on a fire...
But i must look to the laws ^^

greetings and good night
Peppicorps

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
@ Smitti

I Feeled pain on this video, but its a good demonstration.
But i liked more to burn it in my guns ^^

Thx for all the infos at all =)

A fridge is too big for my basement, i think i need to test what happens to a ammocan with ammo on a fire...
But i must look to the laws ^^

greetings and good night
Peppicorps
I tossed 500 rounds of 308 in a fire. The case had corroded and was IMO unsafe. We stayed a safe distance it fizzed and popped a bit no big deal .
However looking back maybe not the best way to get rid of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts