1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
159 Posts
AquaHull - What’s the advantage of shooting a 45cal slug from a 50cal rifle using a sabot rather than shooting a 45cal ball from a 45cal rifle?

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AquaHull - What's the advantage of shooting a 45cal slug from a 50cal rifle using a sabot rather than shooting a 45cal ball from a 45cal rifle?
Well since I have a 50 cal, and bullets for a 50 are rare.The 44 cal (.430 dia) JHP is an option.With a ball you need to use a patch, the sabot serves as the patch and a seal. Plus no copper fouling to be concerned with, just corrosive junk.
The JHP should spin fast enough to stabilize in flight, as opposed to most patch and ball that just flies in the general direction of the target.

When my Renegade was new and unrusted, it would toss a ball accurate out to 80 yards, I'm told with some good glass I can get to 150 yards with the 240 gr JHP. We'll see about that.

I just bought a Thompson Black Diamond 50 cal. Monday, so I'm sort of new to the sabot crap.I tried them in my Thompson Renegade 54 cal.but the bullets tumbled after 20 feet due to the slow twist. So I used patch and ball in that.

The guy I bought the 50 from included 49 Hornady XTP 44 cal bullets in the deal, so I needed sabots to ultilize them. That or buy a Redhawk

·
Registered
159 Posts
OK, so it sounds like the sabots facilitate loading, can improve accuracy/range and allow you to utilize a variety of slugs (provided you have the proper sabots) and generally tweak in your rifle… sort of like building up a sweet load for your favorite sport’n rifle.

I used to hunt chucks with a home-finished CVS 45cal cap & ball… lots of fun until it came time to cleaning it. I never got around to using it for deer. I showed up with it one morning (predawn) to do a woods drive with a bunch of coworkers, but they didn’t want me to use it because I only had one shot and might miss a flushed and running deer. A few months later I traded it for an old Winchester 94 30/30 saddle gun… a trade I’ve often regretted.

My only experience with sabots was with a rifled Black Shadow 12ga shotgun that shot 50cal slugs. That thing would lift a deer off its feet at 50 yards, but made a mess. I sold it and went back to my Win. Model 70 in 270cal. It’s still the best all round rifle in my cabinet.

I don’t think I’d take the Redhawk option. They’re fun, but I start flinching after a while and have to retrain myself.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Thanks for the link Aqua'. Im about to do a little firing up of my Traditions Lightening 50 Cal In-Line again and since I moved finding sabots seperately has been challenging of late. I just cant see spending big stupid dollars on a 15 pack of sabots and bullets that Bass Pro has unless I am on a serious trophy hunt or something. Besides for just general plinking and range use you cant beat going with the sabots and the 44 cal pistol bullets.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You do not use a bullet chambered smaller than the barrel diameter.

What the plastic tubing does best is keep the lube on the bullet and the bullet out of the dirt, free of dings and dents.

Here this is a start, read this before you kill yourself or take an eye out.
I grew up shooting a LOT of black powder, but no way claim to be an expert.
ACCURIZING THE MUZZLELOADING RIFLE

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You do not use a bullet chambered smaller than the barrel diameter.

What the plastic tubing does best is keep the lube on the bullet and the bullet out of the dirt, free of dings and dents.

Here this is a start, read this before you kill yourself or take an eye out.
I grew up shooting a LOT of black powder, but no way claim to be an expert.
ACCURIZING THE MUZZLELOADING RIFLE
I have Thompson Center (Hodgson) Sabots in a Thompson Center Black Diamond shooting Hornady 240 grain XTP 44 cal bullets per Thompson Center manual. In fact the bullets and sabots are branded in a Thompson Center package. How old are you anyway? You claim you grew up, shooting black powder, I'm using pellets ans sometimes Pyrodex RS.

I use FFG in my T/C Renegade 54 with patch and ball. .

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm 41
My father shot with The North-South Skirmish Association, Inc. for about 60 years.
Actually he ran the artillery division for them. So I was around full size cannons, to derringers for years.
Actually I have made cannons, muskets and pistols. The cannons from scratch, the others kits.
The North-South Skirmish Association, Inc.

I shot many a NRA-Approved BPCR silhouette matches.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm 41
My father shot with The North-South Skirmish Association, Inc. for about 60 years.
Actually he ran the artillery division for them. So I was around full size cannons, to derringers for years.
Actually I have made cannons, muskets and pistols. The cannons from scratch, the others kits.
The North-South Skirmish Association, Inc.

I shot many a NRA-Approved BPCR silhouette matches.
So you were 11 when I started shooting patch and ball

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have Thompson Center (Hodgson) Sabots in a Thompson Center Black Diamond shooting Hornady 240 grain XTP 44 cal bullets per Thompson Center manual. In fact the bullets and sabots are branded in a Thompson Center package. How old are you anyway? You claim you grew up, shooting black powder, I'm using pellets ans sometimes Pyrodex RS.

I use FFG in my T/C Renegade 54 with patch and ball. .
I was reading the second post as if you were trying to use a 44 cal sabot in a 50?

That Pyrodex is cool it works like the 2f.
Although the ball diameter still seems small?
with the ball (.430 dia) + ten thousandths or so for the patch...

But hey what do I know? Moving on.........

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was reading the second post as if you were trying to use a 44 cal sabot in a 50?

That Pyrodex is cool it works like the 2f.
Although the ball diameter still seems small?
with the ball (.430 dia) + ten thousandths or so for the patch...

But hey what do I know? Moving on.........
Try the link, it will xplane

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If your gun has a 1 in 28 or tighter twist you better be shooting a smaller than bore bullet in an appropriate sized plastic Sabot otherwise you might as well be firing a musket ball down a smooth bore gun with the accuracy your going to be getting from it.

Im not sure we are talking about the same subject here...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts