Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local Big 5 sporting goods the other day and found they are having a sale on Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 this week, it comes to about $199 out the door. (price is 159.99) Not quite a cheap as they used to be but better then they have been the last few months. They had 3 in stock and all where in pretty good shape. The guy at the counter said that there other stores should have the same special.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Cabelas runs a special pretty regular on them for 129.99. I have really thought about picking one of them up but than I would have to stockup on another caliber. even 159.99 is not bad in todays market.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Budsgunshop has run them at 129.99/139.99 and I wish I could recall if it was Buds or another but they have a $10/$20 extra charge for a "pick of the crate" type of thing that I heard at least - was quite worth it. I'm sorry to say I don't own one and having tried the SKS route and note enjoying it - I'll probably stick with the AR's.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If I could find a SKS under 200 I would get one since I already own a AK. so no new caliber would be needed. the problem is I have not seen a SKS under 300 in a long time. at 300 I would just pay 200 more for another AK.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Thanks for the heads up but not interested! Not that I think it’s a bad deal or dislike the rifle but I’m over my gun per year limit. And when I can add to my collection it would be way down on my list of guns. I would really have to get a good deal to pull that trigger.

·
Registered
44 Posts
:roll: I bought my Mosin carbine about 5 years ago at Big 5...$79.00 Ammo was/is cheap. I bought 880 rounds for around $200 delivered to my door. I think the 440 round spam cans are around $169 now. Still a good bargain for a large round with a huge knock down potential. The Germans hated those rifles and if you ever get the chance, watch Enemy at the Gate. Great movie about a sniper who uses a Mosin. They kick like a mule but wow, can they destroy targets. The Russians nicked named them "Kraut killers".

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
I bought a 1943 91/30 about 5 years ago at my local Ace Hardware for $119 + tax. It came with sling, ammo pouch, bayonet.
I found a gunshop in The Big City (Jacksonville) that had spam cans for $40, guy said there was 100 rounds in it. I thought it was a little pricey at the equivilant of $8 a box, but bought it. Opened it up and there was 300 rounds. Went back the next day and bought the only other can he had. It's 1954 Bulgarian Light Ball, corrosive, but works fine.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Classic is selling 91/30 rifles with accessory kits including bayonet for $99.00. They are listing these as "B" stock as there may be some dings or scratches on the stocks. Whatever, great deal on a great old rifle. Imported from Molot too.

IMO everyone should have this rifle and 440 rounds of ammunition. The ultimate, cheap combination!

Original Molot Russia M 91/30 Mosin Nagant Rifles - Grade B stocks

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
My understanding of that law was the "re-importation" of rifles we sent out. It only affects what we sent overseas. Most notably the venerable M-1 Garand, The M1903 Springfield etc. Yeah, that will have a huge impact on gang violence in America. The last thug I arrested with a Garand was...............never.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
It's for the children. You don't want to have a gun that was actually used in a war do you? think of the message you are sending to the children.

Next you'll want to teach them it is fun to shoot the gun that was used to kill enemies of the USA. OMG! The poor children.....

OK, I can't believe I was actually able to type that drivel - sombody please give me a loaded gun - I NEED recoil therapy! NOW!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Cabelas runs a special pretty regular on them for 129.99. I have really thought about picking one of them up but than I would have to stockup on another caliber. even 159.99 is not bad in todays market.
Yeah I pounced on one in March of 2013 there for 119.00. Kicking myself in the butt as I should have bought at least 5 of them. I will be Johnny On The Spot next time I catch them on sale like that again!

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
My understanding of that law was the "re-importation" of rifles we sent out. It only affects what we sent overseas. Most notably the venerable M-1 Garand, The M1903 Springfield etc. Yeah, that will have a huge impact on gang violence in America. The last thug I arrested with a Garand was...............never.
It would be pretty hard to do a drive-by or to de-ass a low rider with a Springfield complete with 16" bayonet.:lol:

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I didn't realize that Remington Arms produced the Mosin Nagant until recently. It will apply to those as well. Obama, lol.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Speaking of Cabela's reminds me of a bit of good fortune on my part. A couple months ago I was heading to Cabela's with my misses to pick up some ammo I had ordered online. I knew they had the Mosins on sale for $129, and had considered buying another one (I bought my first for $159 the year before), but had pretty much talked myself out of it. Well after giving the Cabela's lady my order number, I went back to check the ammo, as I always do, and for some reason decided to go look at the Mosin Nagant's though still with no idea of buying another one. Well long story short, the first one I picked up was a 1934 hex reciever Mosin. I never turned loose of it until I bought it. Ok, it wasn't like winning the lotto, nor finding the lost Dutchman's mine, but finding a hex reciever Mosin for $129, I thought was a pretty good find. End of story, happy me.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Working on a C&R for this purpose and the CZ 52's
I considered a C&R for a while, it's cheap and would be nice to have guns delivered to my door. I decided against it for 2 reasons. #1 it would end up costing me a small fortune every time I got on gun broker and #2 I'm not sure I want to invite the BATFE into my house whenever they feel like showing up (even though most C&R holders will tell you they've never had an agent come visit).

Moonshinedave, sounds like you did pretty well on the hex. The local Gander Mtn was getting $179 on the last shipment of Mosins they got. I've got a 1944 round receiver that I like a lot but I'm not in the market for another 91/30, now a M38 or M44 would be great and if I come across a reasonably priced Finn I'm not letting go of it.

-Infidel

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Cabela's has them on sale for $149 (save $50). With that, I will seriously recommend;

PEOPLE: IN ALL SERIOUSNESS...GET YOUR CURIO & RELIC FFL !!!!!!! PLEASE?

I cannot express this enough. The paperwork is no harder than the standard forms you fill out at the gun shop when purchasing a firearm there. You mail a quick form letter to your Sheriff or Chief of Police simply stating "Hey, I'm obtaining a C&R. There is no action required on your part." You mail in the application and $30...that's right THIRTY DOLLARS. No pictures. No prints. Straightforward.

If you can read and follow basic directions (there are even "tutorials" on YT), you can complete this application and get your Type 03, C&R Federal Firearms License. There is no ATF visit or inspection, though it has happened, but very, very unlikely. If you have an ATF agent show up, they either have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING else to do, they have pissed off their boss and got hit with "Shit Duty" or you got something in your background that could actually preclude you from having firearms in the first place. And 99% of the field ATF agents are not the "boogey-men" they've been made out to be. I had my license in hand 13 days after I mailed the application. It's good for 3 years.

Basically, standard rule of thumb, if a firearm is 50 YEARS OLD or OLDER - IT QUALIFIES AS A C&R. That's per the ATF. Buy a C&R gun on Gunbroker or some other similar site, SHIPS DIRECTLY TO YOU. Rifle, handgun, mortar launcher, WW1 Machine Gun; yep, they're on the list, it comes right TO YOUR DOOR. I would have to dig out my book to be name/model specific (there are several), but yes, if you can afford a WW1 Machine Gun, you can own it on a C&R alone. I bought two old Remington's, a 760 Game Master Pump and a 742 semi-auto in 30-06. Right to my door. No FFL fees, no sales tax, no back ground check (already done). They were over 50 years old.

You'll pay for the C&R with your first purchase just by avoiding the transfer fee.

Buy a surplus C&R gun form a commercial dealer? Get it at a nice low price, shipped right to your door. Oh, and because you have that account now, we'll sell you some ammo at prices the general public will never see themselves.

You can't "deal" in C&R guns but you can trade or sell to improve your collection. There are modifications you can make, stuff you can't, but for the most part, it's no hassle. If I put a synthetic stock on my Mosin that I obtained under my C&R, it no longer qualifies as a C&R. Until I put the wood stock back on. For the most part, if it's not permanent, no worries. It's a very broad interpretation that has a lot of flexibility. The only other requirement is that you log what you buy, which I do with all of my guns in case they are stolen, and if you sell or trade it, enter its "disposition". Easy enough.

SERIOUSLY...LOOK INTO A C&R.

Reactions: Deebo

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I have decided to purchase 1, well ok maybe 2. And yes, I did see that BUDS had them for about 129, and "handpicked" for about 20$ extra.
Buc, I have thought many times about C and R FFL, and just might do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Cabela's has them on sale for $149 (save $50). With that, I will seriously recommend;

PEOPLE: IN ALL SERIOUSNESS...GET YOUR CURIO & RELIC FFL !!!!!!! PLEASE?

I cannot express this enough. The paperwork is no harder than the standard forms you fill out at the gun shop when purchasing a firearm there. You mail a quick form letter to your Sheriff or Chief of Police simply stating "Hey, I'm obtaining a C&R. There is no action required on your part." You mail in the application and $30...that's right THIRTY DOLLARS. No pictures. No prints. Straightforward.

If you can read and follow basic directions (there are even "tutorials" on YT), you can complete this application and get your Type 03, C&R Federal Firearms License. There is no ATF visit or inspection, though it has happened, but very, very unlikely. If you have an ATF agent show up, they either have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING else to do, they have pissed off their boss and got hit with "Shit Duty" or you got something in your background that could actually preclude you from having firearms in the first place. And 99% of the field ATF agents are not the "boogey-men" they've been made out to be. I had my license in hand 13 days after I mailed the application. It's good for 3 years.

Basically, standard rule of thumb, if a firearm is 50 YEARS OLD or OLDER - IT QUALIFIES AS A C&R. That's per the ATF. Buy a C&R gun on Gunbroker or some other similar site, SHIPS DIRECTLY TO YOU. Rifle, handgun, mortar launcher, WW1 Machine Gun; yep, they're on the list, it comes right TO YOUR DOOR. I would have to dig out my book to be name/model specific (there are several), but yes, if you can afford a WW1 Machine Gun, you can own it on a C&R alone. I bought two old Remington's, a 760 Game Master Pump and a 742 semi-auto in 30-06. Right to my door. No FFL fees, no sales tax, no back ground check (already done). They were over 50 years old.

You'll pay for the C&R with your first purchase just by avoiding the transfer fee.

Buy a surplus C&R gun form a commercial dealer? Get it at a nice low price, shipped right to your door. Oh, and because you have that account now, we'll sell you some ammo at prices the general public will never see themselves.

You can't "deal" in C&R guns but you can trade or sell to improve your collection. There are modifications you can make, stuff you can't, but for the most part, it's no hassle. If I put a synthetic stock on my Mosin that I obtained under my C&R, it no longer qualifies as a C&R. Until I put the wood stock back on. For the most part, if it's not permanent, no worries. It's a very broad interpretation that has a lot of flexibility. The only other requirement is that you log what you buy, which I do with all of my guns in case they are stolen, and if you sell or trade it, enter its "disposition". Easy enough.

SERIOUSLY...LOOK INTO A C&R.
I'll have to call the State Police Hotline and see what effect the stupid SAFE act has on the C&R holder. Since All firearms transfers are now subject to a background check (as well as ammunition purchases once the SPs database is up and running) I wonder if it would even be worth me sending in the form. Sounds like a good project for tomorrow since were supposed to get such nasty weather that I won't be hunting.

-Infidel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts