Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these? I shot one and loved it. Just curious to know how they hold up with higher round count through them and such. The range i go to only had it on the rental fleet two weeks and i was the third person to shoot it. The main reason i'm interested in it is i already have my Glock 19 so between the ability to use Glock mags and shoot 9mm which i already shoot in my pistol it's a win all across the board. I guess i'm looking for any drawbacks or things to make me hold up and question should i get one.

Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
Why are you looking at a pistol caliber carbine for hallway distances?
You have a handgun and are looking at a shotgun.
A longer barrel in the same caliber as your handgun will produce a bit more power, but at the expense of maneuverability. The shotgun is a far better trade-off for the same negative.

But to answer the question you posed, I'm sorry, I can't provide any info. PCCs are an oddity to me and I've not yet seen a solid reason for them.
I reserve the right to change my mind if a compelling argument can be made. 馃槈

• Sad
Reactions: 65mustang

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for questioning it. My only real draws to it are the caliber and the mag interchangeability. That and it's a nice shooting gun. That being said i was asking wanting more info on it one to see if it was worth buying and two like you said is it worth it or is money better spent on a shotgun or other things. I'm pretty good with the glock, been taking lessons at the range and going once a week since my lessons are on pause(had to stop and regroup on money for a couple months and also health, looking at a 4th hip surgery). When i get back to lessons though they have a new 6 month training course which i'm going to go through. So i'm actively training with the pistol since it's my main gun right now.

Super Moderator
The PCC idea could certainly compliment your handgun if you were doing field work and needed something to handle coyotes or something.
I'm just not seeing the benefit when isolating the context to within a home against two-legged vermin.
I'd recommend shotgun first. Then your bases are covered and you can go with whatever strikes your fancy and finances allow.

• Wow

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like your thinking. I suppose if i want to shoot one i can always go rent it. That's the nice thing about the range i go to, they have a rental club for 15 bucks a month. Unlimited non machine gun rentals. So i get to shoot any new gun they get for a nice low price of 15 bucks. It's how i decided on my glock 19. Tried a few and found what i liked.

Registered
I love mine. It shoots great. It shoots the same round as my EDC. It's light enough my wife handles it with no problem. When I travel, I can break it down and it fits perfect in my BOB. With the Glock magazine well you can shoot Glock 30 round magazines. It also has threaded barrel for a suppressor.

Registered
I built an AR-9 that takes glock magazines. Built from an 80% lower. I have less invested in it than that Ruger PC9 costs. It runs great. A pistol carbine is a good home defense weapon. Shotgun is probably better in down the hallway ranges, but I have that covered too.

Super Moderator
It's in your hands, and it's sure better than nothing. I'd rather use my AR9 than a handgun, that's for sure. My choice.
Yes, a PCC is better than a handgun. But that's an unfair comparison. A handgun generally has a shorter barrel and fewer rounds.
But for the same size as your AR9, you could pack a much bigger punch with a rifle caliber.
So what drew you to the PCC format instead?

Registered
Yes, a PCC is better than a handgun. But that's an unfair comparison. A handgun generally has a shorter barrel and fewer rounds.
But for the same size as your AR9, you could pack a much bigger punch with a rifle caliber.
So what drew you to the PCC format instead?
I own a bunch of handguns in 9mm, and I have a couple or 3 AR-15's and 2 AR-10's and 4 or 5 shotguns. I have the bases pretty well covered. Besides, that AR-9 is a hoot to shoot. I shot a Ruger PPC 9, I found it too heavy and clumsy, for me anyway.

Registered
What makes a weapon a good, great, or bad home defense weapon is different for everyone depending on the person and situation. I would never discourage anyone from a method of defense. Each person needs to make these decisions themselves. My own humble opinion is it would be appropriate where you need something with a little more reach without adding power. You need scalpel instead of a hammer (Bullet vs Shot).

My wife (As she gets older) Is only able to shoot a pistol reliably out to 10 yards. Yet she can shoot the PCC out to 30 to 40 yards. The sights are easier to see and it's easier to chamber a round. It also holds 30 rounds. If she has to take a shot into the backyard, I'm confident the round will drop before it gets past the tree line into the neighborhood 1/4 mile away. I don't have to worry about over penetration or shot spread going around the target and hitting someone else in the house. I'm sure there are other weapons that would work but she likes it. If she doesn't like it she won't shoot it.

Registered
For home defense I dont know why anybody would need anything other than a .12 guage pump loaded with birdshot followed up by buck and maybe some kinda reliable pistol and mean looking knife to give to the bad guy in case forgot to bring a weapon of some sort. .

Registered
I have a Mossberg 500 pursuader for home defense. It replaced a .45 USP. I got a great deal on a Sig MPXK through my son. The length of pull isn't ridiculous like my shotgun, which I think is too long a weapon around corners, and it's a 9mm. I am more accurate with the MPX than my handgun and above all........It is very, very cool. and 30 round mags don't hurt either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts