Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all, first post here. I hope some find it useful.

I have had my GSR for about 2 1/2 years and still love it. I take it on most of my desert ramblings as it is just about perfect. I always seem to read about folks that are not sure about accuracy, reliability, or performance, so I thought it was time for a little testing.

Here is what I did:

I had two old closet doors, so I painted a target on each side totaling four. I fired five rounds as quick as possible from slinged, supported, prone. I fired from 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards or at least pretty close. I had to pace off the distance, so it could be +, - ten yards or so. I began firing from 100 yards, then immediately reloaded and moved back in 100 yard increments until I reached 400 yards.

So here are the results:

From 100 yards:

Targets close up:

100 yard target: about two inch group

200 yard target: about 3.5 inch group

300 yard target: about nine inch group

400 yard target: about 19 inch group

I am running a traditional Leupold Scout Scope scope, so 400 yards was easy to hit, but harder to pick an exact hold over. My first round went low, and then I kind of got it figured out. The most interesting component of the 400 yard group is the horizontal dispersion; it is less than three inches. If I had figured out the hold over on the first shot, I would have had a group similar in size to the 300 yard group. That is something to work on.

Anyways it is a great rifle that shoots very well. Any creature with evil intent that comes within 400 yards or so must tread with heavy trepidations or at least carry a strong belief in the hereafter.

I hope this provides some useful information for folks looking to buy a Ruger Gunsite Rifle.

And now for some gratuitous GSR pics:

Thanks for the look,

Matt

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
thanks matt for the range report, can you tell me more about the gun? calibur? weight? how many rounds it holds?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Matt thanks for sharing
I think the RGS is a versatile rifle and worth a look see for the prepper wanting a handy (short) bolt action rifle with nice features, such as a 10 round detachable box magazine, birdcage flash hider, peep sights and EIR scope mounting.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I also have a Ruger Gunsite Scout with a similar long eye relief scope. My gun is the left handed model. I get the similar groupings at 100 and 200 yards. That is the longest range available locally.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
So which style of RGS magazine do you prefer. Polymer or steel?

I have both in 5 and 10 round configurations. The polymer magazine is lighter and comes with a P mag style cap. The polymer magazines also has a soft or light feel to the magazine spring. Makes then easy to load, and since I use them and haven't had any failures I'd say a good deal for the price.

The steel magazines are heavier and also have a stiffer spring they have one advantage over the polymer and that is an empty polymer magazine won't drop from the mag well where as a steel one will. The steel magazines are well built and the price reflect it. The one complaint I've heard about the steel magazines other than they are heavy is they have sharp edges around the feed lips. An easy fix really, slightly burnish the sharp edges to remove the feather burrs.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Years ago, I built a scot rifle, modeled after Jeff Coopers, on a Rem 600.
It was a lot of fun and I regret that I no longer have it.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Years ago, I built a scot rifle, modeled after Jeff Coopers, on a Rem 600.
It was a lot of fun and I regret that I no longer have it.
If you haven't already you should take the time to take a look at the RGS. They are a pretty decent rig. With modern electronics and optics and an Xs rail one can easily adapt the rifle to any number of sight configurations.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
So which style of RGS magazine do you prefer. Polymer or steel?

I have both in 5 and 10 round configurations. The polymer magazine is lighter and comes with a P mag style cap. The polymer magazines also has a soft or light feel to the magazine spring. Makes then easy to load, and since I use them and haven't had any failures I'd say a good deal for the price. ...
I prefer the 5 round polymer. I like the way it is not in the way.

If I cannot kill it in five shots I pray it is not hunting me.

Also what moves so slow that you get more than five shots at.

I have the larger mags for the field of fire I would use defending the house from the hordes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sorry, I should have included more info. It is a .308 or 7.62x51 NATO caliber. I handload my ammo, so I am using a 150 Grn. bullet with Varget powder. You can also shoot surplus 7.62x51 NATO. The Ruger website does much better justice to the description, but basically it is a magazine fed, bolt action rifle. It has an adjustable length of pull, iron sights, scout scope mount, and flash hider. Fully outfitted, it weighs about 8.5 pounds.

As others have stated, you can get magazines up to 10 rounds. I too prefer the 5 round magazines. I like the metal magazine, but in all honesty have not tried the polymer. I keep the 10 round loaded as a back up magazine.

I have had mine for about two and half years. I have shot many hundreds of rounds through it with no problems. It is great from 10 out to about 400 yards. I have two desert properties and this rifle is great to keep handy in a rural location.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
No need to explain those of us who own them simply enjoyed the pictures...
Looks a lot like the desert around here.
Where's your canteen...in the pack?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts