Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ruger 22 Mark I Jamming

Hi All,

I inherited this late 70's beuaty from my father when he passed. I would like to give it to my wife to use at shooting ranges and for self defense. Any tips on possible causes/repairs? Should I just replace the clip or take it to be looked at by a gunsmith? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
15,092 Posts
We need more information, such as what model. You posted in the handgun section, so I’m assuming it is a handgun.
Also, is it a fail to feed, fail to extract, etc.
Have you tried different brands of ammo?

Reactions: SOCOM42

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
The MK-1 is a rugged pistol.

The normal two causes of failure are bad mag and dirt.

Most people have no clue on how to take it apart to clean, worse yet to put it back together.

There are two types of rimfire mag ammo they will not interchange either.

They are, 22 Rimfire Magnum, and 22 WMR (Winchester Rimfire Magnum).

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Is the pistol jamming while trying to load a new shell from the magazine, or is it jamming because it is not ejecting the spent shell correctly?
First off try different ammo. And make sure the gun has been completely stripped and throughly cleaned. Lead deposits from years of shooting and improper cleaning can cause malfunctions. Then if problems persist, try a new magazine.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
One never take a Ruger to a Gunship for repair only non factory mods. The Ruger has a life time warranty that will never expire.
Self help clean and lube it. Then clean it again a few times. Ruger will stand by that weapon. As mention make sure you are using the correct ammo.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Clean and Lube the Ruger Mark 1. Clean and lube the magazines. Check to make sure they are Ruger mags. Get a variety of of different ammo.

In 1 mag; load 4 rounds of the first brand of ammo and run them through.
In same mag, load 4 rounds of another brand of ammo etc etc.

If you have 2 or more magazines do the same for those magazines. Pause every now and then to clean and lube the Ruger.

If all fails, send back to Ruger. I agree with Smitty and have used Ruger and they fixed my problem on a Ruger SR22. Shoots like a dream now going on 7 or 8 years!

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
It's a Ruger so get rid of it quick.

Trade it for a Sig or S&W maybe even a Walther. Why waste time sending it back to the people that couldn't get it right the first time. Just dump it and move onto something you can count/relay on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts