1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
15,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'll betcha them Marines on the pacific islands didn't have no BTHP or spitzer bullets for their grease guns, thompsons, or 1911's . . . and they still got the job done.

Same goes for the tunnel rats in 'Nam . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I stock considerable Ball ammo. It is effective over a wide range of needs.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I'll betcha them Marines on the pacific islands didn't have no BTHP or spitzer bullets for their grease guns, thompsons, or 1911's . . . and they still got the job done.

Same goes for the tunnel rats in 'Nam . . .

May God bless,
Dwight
Just based on the WW2 experience by Marines and soldiers, I have plenty of 45 Ball for my pistoles and MG's.

Their experience and mine own have given faith to that Ball Round.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I stock considerable Ball ammo. It is effective over a wide range of needs.
Almost all of my ammo is of ball round nature, exception is some 00buck, and some 357 JHP, and 9MM HP, a few K of each..

Every rifle round is issue ball regardless of caliber, but there is also plenty of 30 AP M2 .

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Just based on the WW2 experience by Marines and soldiers, I have plenty of 45 Ball for my pistoles and MG's.

Their experience and mine own have given faith to that Ball Round.
225 and 230 gr ball .45 stacked up

Reactions: stevekozak

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Old school is still cool. My deer rifle (built in 1908)shoots a cartridge developed in 1891. Kills deer like Thor's hammer. I shoot 140 grain soft point spitzers but they also load a 160 grain round nose soft point ( if you want to give Norma $40 a box). Of course I'm talking about the 6.5x55mm Swedish, the finest deer cartridge ever made.:vs_clap:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use 180 grain round nose outta my 30.06, my Father had acquired an astounding collection of the Core-lok, not a creature in my woods walking or crawling I feel undergunned with that in my hands. Same goes with my 444 Marlin and of course my 458 Lott....

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Most deer here are on the larger size. They are most often taken with in 150 yards. Plain old 30-30 been put them on the table a long time.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I got hit pretty bad on one forum for saying I carried ball in my 1911.
What? By a bunch of keyboard ninja's???

Sure, I have quite a bit of HP 45, Speer, Rem, Horn and others,

it was on the shelves when I closed the door to ammo sales with O'thigger in power.

Those that knock you are talking out of their asses, have no real experience with it other than tin cans and paper,

and sure as hell never saw any combat either.

I ran into those types one time on a forum, they told me my statement was useless because I spelt a word wrong, never went back there.

I have 5, 45 ACP pistols and some submachine guns in the round, all their mags that are loaded, are loaded with 230GR issue ball.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What? By a bunch of keyboard ninja's???

Sure, I have quite a bit of HP 45, Speer, Rem, Horn and others,

it was on the shelves when I closed the door to ammo sales with O'thigger in power.

Those that knock you are talking out of their asses, have no real experience with it other than tin cans and paper,

and sure as hell never saw any combat either.

I ran into those types one time on a forum, they told me my statement was useless because I spelt a word wrong, never went back there.

I have 5, 45 ACP pistols and some submachine guns in the round, all their mags that are loaded, are loaded with 230GR issue ball.
Thanks, I pretty much am same less the MG and I have only two 45's. Funny thing though back a while I went into Academy to buy some 45 acp ammo and they were out of what I wanted. I can't even recall what it was now, but the kid behind the counter grabbed a box of some HP rounds, Hydra Shok I think, and said I should buy them because they were the best self defense 45 ammo there was. And I have used it and it's good, but I couldn't resist and asked him, "Is it really the best?" He said it was and then I said, "How many people have you shot with them?" His expression was priceless.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I got hit pretty bad on one forum for saying I carried ball in my 1911.
Then you know your were in a forum full of rookies. Ball is all they shot in 1911 when it made it';s mark in history. US Army did not issue magic semi jacket hollow point ninja mushroom bullets.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
End of the day it is shot placement. Put it where it needs to be. Yes mathematically hollow points and the like dump more energy into the target but sometimes it does not feed so well without some smithing. Ball was used as a result of the Geneva convention if memory serves.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
End of the day it is shot placement. Put it where it needs to be. Yes mathematically hollow points and the like dump more energy into the target but sometimes it does not feed so well without some smithing. Ball was used as a result of the Geneva convention if memory serves.
Correct on both smithing and Geneva.

We used shotguns on the Japs because they were not convention signers, we used shotguns in Europa, but for guard duty by MP's.

A standard ball gun will not reliably feed other than ball reliably, a throating job is needed along with modified magazines.

I have done hundreds over the decades, no matter how well they are done, some will fail to feed at some point.

My work was to make them feed semi wadcutters, a lot harder to do than HP rounds.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
So far, knock on wood, my Desert Eagle 1911 has fed ball and HP rounds flawlessly.
A lot of the better grade modern guns have the throating done to a certain extent.

My Colt Commander came done, I just refined it a bit, my S&W SS 1911 has it done, have not touched that one.

Most match grade guns have throating done.

The Wilson-Rogers mags have the correct lip configuration to feed ball, HP, and WC match ammo properly, those are all that I use.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
+1 on the Wilson Combat mags. They are my go to for carry. I have some Novaks that work pretty good, but I still reserve them for the range. Wilson 47Ds in my carry 1911s!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts