·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
thank you, what are your thoughts on this brand? i saw these today, and am inclined to go with the mossberg 500.410 as i am familiar with the brand and am sure of quality.

any imput you have would be super.:cool:

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
The Circuit Judge is a fine novelty item. Other than a novelty item, I don't see it having a place in my inventory.

I want a high power rifle round if I am firing from the shoulder. There's no need in having a long gun that launches handgun ammo, even if it is also good at getting small game. I'll be carrying my sidearm, anyway, and my sidearm ammo is lousy for getting small game.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
The Circuit Judge is a fine novelty item. Other than a novelty item, I don't see it having a place in my inventory.
Very well said Denton. You expressed my sentiments and thoughts on this particular fire arm rather accurately. I would much rather just have a lever action in 45 colt or a pump in 410 as opposed to something that is neither beast nor fowl. I can see where assaulting the local beer can population at the dump with this might be kind of entertaining...but again I view it more as a novelty item. Rossi and Taurus are notorious for quality control issues from time to time. Customer service can be hit or miss if there is an issue, especially with Taurus.

and am inclined to go with the mossberg 500.410 as i am familiar with the brand and am sure of quality.
Not a bad decison on your part Shotlady. A Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 in 410 would definitely be a sweet little shotgun. I have owned several Remingtons and just got a Mossberg 535 Turkey gun and couldnt be happier. I have had phenomenal tech support with the Mossberg. No I had no issues with their gun, I just wanted a lot of technical support information prior to making my purchase that my dealer couldnt answer.

I have shot more than my fair share of Trap and Skeet rounds at the range, its a hoot for sure and with a 410 its a challenge! I have mad respect for anyone that can shoot a respectable round of trap or skeet with a 410. I can afford to be pretty sloppy and still shoot a good score with my 12 gauge O/U's but with a 410 you pretty much have to be right on the money shot after shot to keep up with the guys using 12's and 20's.

That brings up another point...if shooting trap and skeet with a 410 is your cup of tea or if thats going to be a lot of your shooting activity with a 410 I would seriously consider getting a O/U instead of a pump. Yes they can cost a bit more than your typical field grade pump, but its well worth it in my opinion. I was never really a fan of doubles especially O/U's until I got into skeet and trap, never liked them for hunting Dove, Quail or small game. But these days even for hunting I prefer them over my Remington 1100's and 870's in no uncertain terms!!! Thats not to say I dont still go afield with them, I just feel the O/U's give me the confidience and the advantage I need over the other options. Yes they are heavier (O/U's) but the great balance makes them feel lighter than they are and they swing like a champ making follow through on the shot feel so natural, giving me higher hit percentages than I would otherwise get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I posted the link for a purpose, I have seen a few of these lately and was interested in the response it would get here.
The first one I saw was in a gun shop along with, The Judge- the pistol prior to the start of deer hunting. The shop worker stated that he
was interested in getting one before deer hunting.
The second, I mentioned seeing one at a shop at work, then one of my co workers brings his in the next day for show and tell.
I have researched the gun online before posting it.
It appears as if there is variable quality issues with the gun.

There was one person stating that they liked wheel guns, so this was a link to a wheel gun.
One person was looking for a mare's leg a few days ago and here is a short/ almost a youth sized gun, might be a possibility for
a BOV gun.

I prefer .308 and .223 for long guns, and 12 ga model 870 for scatter guns.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Rossi and Taurus can be spotty sometimes, but there still mid quality guns which doesn't make them low quality. Both are now owned by Smith & Wesson actually and have good backing from what I've seen that a person should get a problem taken care of in fair enough time. The Circuit Judges are a niche rifle to me also. And if they fit your niche than by all means get one. They should serve you well as any Rossi or Taurus can. By niche I see it as if you like and use the calibers already an want a nice rifle in the same for commonality to use for hunting, plinking or defense. If you're looking for a .410 for shot and rabbit and other varmints, than look at a smoothbore shotgun as mentioned, which Remingtons and Mossbergs are reliable enough quality of. The .22lr version I think is the best option for those looking for a .22lr for hunting and plinking. If they like the action of course. The only spares parts a person should really need to concern themselves about with one is the springs which are the most common thing I've ever seen to take a revolver out of service.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I already have 22s in pistol and rifle. already have 223, 40 and 9mm.
12gauge is ttoo much and i wouldnt enjoy shooting it. no reason to go home sore or have something you dont enjoy shooting.
410 allows me to get another gun and not be redundant in novelty :)

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Taurus has great customer service, I used them at least 7-8 times in a couple years, so I know. To stay away from TearAzz that is.Rossi is a step below TearAzz on their family tree with only a 1 year warranty

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I already have 22s in pistol and rifle. already have 223, 40 and 9mm.
12gauge is ttoo much and i wouldnt enjoy shooting it. no reason to go home sore or have something you dont enjoy shooting.
410 allows me to get another gun and not be redundant in novelty :)
Than a .410 dedicated shotgun like a WingMaster would probably serve you best. The CJ's are rifled bore for America which means nothing but slug .410 which isn't going to put you ahead of the game for hunting than the .223 with good holllowpoint will. I nice smoothbore .410 with an adjustable choke will open up a different world for you. Even a nice 20 gauge if you feel comfortable with it. Lots of ladies do.

:)

http://www.remington.com/en/product-families/firearms/shotgun-families/pump-action-model-870.aspx

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
after 16 open abdominal surgeries and additional 16 procedures i have to be real about my core stregnth.
it aint there lol..
the 20 gage sure puts a hurtin on my ass. it dont wanna hurt.
i just wanna shoot shit up and enjoy my day like every other normal girl :)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Taurus has great customer service, I used them at least 7-8 times in a couple years, so I know. To stay away from TearAzz that is.Rossi is a step below TearAzz on their family tree with only a 1 year warranty
ya i dont wanna need to call customer service. ima go mossberg or remmington.

please tell me the dif in bird shot, buck shot and slug and about chokes n shit. thank you, brandi

·
Registered
436 Posts
Rossi at least on their rifles are the same as Taurus as they share the same head quarters in Miami Florida with the same life time warranty on the gun not by owner. I've never owned one of their hand guns but do own 2 of their rifles.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
You can go on line for a list of bird, buckshot sizes and the number of sizes. Birdshot is generally smaller sizes with 9-6 being very common. Buck shot is the bigger end of the scale on shot sizes. Depending on the gauge #4, 0-Buck, 00-Buck and the biggest 000-Buck shot are the most common by far. On shot the smaller the number the larger the shot size is. A slug is generally 1 big hunk of metal of course.

Now there are two different types of slugs, rifled and Sabot. Rifled slugs are a bit of a misnomer. They are cast with spiriling grooves in the side and usually have a concave base to them. The "rifling" cast into them doesnt give any spin like one might be lead to believe, it just reduces friction as it travels down the bore of the gun. The concave base will allow the soft lead edges to expand a bit under powder ignition which will create a good seal as the slug travels down the bore as the slug is slightly under sized for the gauge to allow it to safely pass through chokes. Sabot on the other hand usually have a two piece plastic case which holds a sub caliber gauge slug inside. Upon ignition, the plastic Sabot is pushed down the barrel which is either fully rifled or has a rifled shoke installed which will impart spin on the sabot. As the sabot exits the barrel the two piece sabot will seperate due to drag in the air stream and release the now spinning slug. These can be accruate from a gun as far as 150 yards! Conventional slugs usually get pretty sloppy after about 50 yards. DO NOT fire conventional slugs in a fully rifled or rifled choke barrel. Its not good from a safety stand point and it will severely lead the barrel.

Chokes are the degree of constriction at the end of the barrel. They can be built in called "fixed" or they can be screw in interchangable. They will tighten the pattern of shot up to a degree when you fire shot through them. Think of them as a funnel at the end of your barrel. Generally speaking there is X-Full, Full, Improved Modified, Modified, Improved Cylinder, Cylinder. Cylinder is the least restrictive choke and will generally allow a pattern to open up the quickest spreading the shot out. X-Full is the most restrictive and will tighten up the pattern the most usually. The choke measurement is based on the percentage of pellets that should be in a 30 inch circle at 30 yards if I remember correctly. Off the top of my head I cant remember what the percentages are for each choke. You can google it though and find out the exact number.

Thats it in a nut shell for a down and dirty explaination.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Oh there is also a skeet choke which is actually the least restrictive choke, my bad. I forgot about that one.

X-Full is usually exclusively used for Turkey hunting with heavier sized lead shot.

Full is often used with heavier lead shot for Pheasant and sometimes Turkey

Improved Modified is about the tightest choke you will want to shoot steel shot from in water fowling without risking damage to the gun.

Modified is usually used for pass shooting Dove and Quail with lead shot especially coveys that flush well ahead of you or late season birds that are skittish and at a distance. Some water fowlers will use this one with steel shot when pass Shooting smaller ducks that are flying fairly close in. I often use this choke when pass shooting the smaller fast flying Blue or Green Wing Teal. This is a very common fixed choke. If this is what your gun has know its limitations on range and shot sizes and types. This is the tighest recommended choke in most manufactures opinion for shooting slugs.

Improved Cylinder is a pretty open choke thats just slightly smaller than the bore size of the gun. This is the most common recommended choke for shooting slugs and will usually give the best accuracy from a smooth bore shotgun. This is also a common choke used with smaller lead shot at the start of Dove and Quail season when the birds arent quiet so skittish or have a tendency to flush close to the hunter. This is a good choke for buck shot as well.

Cylinder, is normally very little or no constriction. Your shot will generally open up the quickest here giving you a maximum pellet spread the quickest. Its very common on "riot/combat" guns that will mainly be shooting 00-Buck and slugs.

Skeet, this is the most open choke and will spread the shot out the quickest. Its generally used with #9 thru 7 1/2 lead shot or Steel #6 shot. For trap you will normally use a Modified or possibly a Full choke.

HTH's

Improved Cylender.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
please tell me the dif in bird shot, buck shot and slug and about chokes n shit. thank you, brandi
In bird shot, the smaller the number the bigger the pellet - #4 is bigger than #6 for example. The smaller the size, the more pellets per ounce.
In buckshot, sizes from smallest to biggest are - #4, #3, #2, #1, 0, 00, 000. For example, #4 is 24 caliber, OOO is 36 caliber.
Slugs range from 1/5 ounce in the 410, to 1 ounce in 12 gauge.
Choke is the amount of constriction in the barrel, ranging from cylinder (no choke at all) to extra full (mostly for turkey hunting). The tighter the choke, the tighter the "pattern"of the shot,which generally increases effective range.
In 410's (which are a favorite of mine), the usual fixed choke is full, since the shot charge is small it needs all the help it can get.

I use 410's around the farm for varmint control since they are light, easy to carry, and I'm not having to deal with large animals. I started out with a single shot; then went to a double barrel for a quicker second shot; and then since I like old Mossberg shotguns and 22's I got just for giggles-n-grins a bolt action two shot repeater that has a factory adjustible choke. She's a sweetheart (and old Mossberg bolt action shotguns are becoming collectible).

edited to add: I only use one finger to type, so lunatic fringe was quicker on the draw.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
Amen, my brother.
My absolute favorite hanguns are single action revolvers chambered in 45 Colt, and my most used shotguns are my .410's. But putting the two together is like polishing a turd.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I have never had to send a Taurus/Rossi back for service. I only own about seven of them, so maybe I've just been lucky.
I have a Taurus PT-99 that I like very much more than the Beretta 92 that is a pre '95 gun. Never had an issue with it yet. This seems to be the case with a few of their auto loaders. Their revolvers have been kind of hit and miss especially the newer they are. If you get one thats good, they are really good and well worth the price you paid making them a bargin.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.