Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellers,

I'm looking for a land rover style roof basket for my BOV. (4' x 5' or 4' x 6')The ones I see online are cute but reviewers say they are not heavy duty. I want to hang a High-lift jack on one side and possibly lights on the front. Hoping one of you have a suggestion to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,

punch

·
Registered
35 Posts
4-Wheel Parts online has some pretty cool roof racks, as does J.C. Whitney and Co., but they are a bit on the pricy side so I'd say if you wanna save a few bucks, take a look at craigslist and ebay. You might get lucky and find something better than what you thought you wanted! Good luck!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Don't know what kind of vehicle you have, Punch, but you should consider the Yakima Loadwarrior.

You can attach brackets Yakima makes specifically for hi-lift jacks and axes/shovels to the sides.

Link:

http://www.yakima.com

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! I'm looking to get something sturdy that requires little modification to avoid welding it from scratch. You given me some keywords to go on. Have a great week all!

punch

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
take a look at some of the 4x4 boards,conn-fer had the best roof racks ever made,gonna cost though and they are heavy.you will also probably have to make the roof mounts to fit your bov's roof unless you get lucky and the radius is the same as yours.there are probably quite a few out there for the old toyota land cruiser as that was one of the first vehicles they started making them for.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly what I'm looking for. I can fab up any missing parts or mounts. Thanks again!

punch

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
ever considered having one fabricated? The FJ cruiser has a decent roof rack but it's not super serious. I was a flat deck so I can walk around on top of it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could weld up exactly what I want but I would over engineer it and after material (aluminum) I'd be kicking myself. I'd rather get a heavy duty one and do minor mods. (on a budget here) The confer brand mentioned above is made quite well and would suit my needs if I could lay my mits on one. Mean while I am sketching up a few rough drawings in case I get the itch to weld some aluminum. Thanks!

punch

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you are anywhere near Louisville, my kiddo builds that sort of stuff.

A note about roof racks... They SERIOUSLY diminish off-road capability, especially on Jeep-sized vehicles. Radically changes the center of gravity and also can cut mpg by a quarter or more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll second the Yakima rack. I've had one for about 6 years and no issues yet. It's a little faded, but it stays on the vehicle all the time so it's to be expected since the majority of it's life has been spent in west texas where we get lots of sun. They also make mounts specifically for hi lift jacks, shovels, axes, etc. And if not mistaken alot of there products have a lifetime warranty, at least they used to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts