Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'd say it's a matter of knowledge and trust.... and adaptability. In reality... your group should be a series of "Chiefs" that rotate positions. Basically... if you need to supplement food by hunting, then the person who knows the most about hunting your area is in charge of hunting. If you need edible plants, find the person with the most knowledge of edible plants in your area. If defense is required, the person with the most knowledge of how to defend the group. Etc.... If there is a good trust relationship in your group, when the best "Chief" steps up, the rest should share what they know, but be good "Indians" and let the Chief do his/her job. That same idea applies to any situation. If you decide you need to build a running vehicle... or create an electrical system using a water wheel or wind generator, etc... then you find the person with the best knowledge (that you trust) and have them assume that role.

But... it is very dependent on your area and climate. You may have a great hunter that hunts Africa every year... but may not know squat about small game in your area. You may have a 20 year infantry veteran who knows almost nothing about clearing buildings... or the reverse... a 20 year LE professional who doesn't know small group tactics.

As you assimilate people into your (to steal a term...) Circle of Trust, find out about their skills... both from a practical standpoint and from a personality standpoint. The best skilled person in the world could destroy your group if they have the personality of a concentration camp guard. Each person has to be firm enough to get their job done without alienating anyone else in the group. And.... they have to be able to switch roles and do what they are told... without questioning in many situations... just to keep the group alive. From my perspective, the only way for me to put myself into a "I'll follow your orders without question" mindset is if I know and trust that individual and know we are both looking out for the welfare of everyone in the group.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sorry Aqua... But I'd have used you to the max extent possible... then shot you and took your gear. :) (sorry... just sitting here chuckling over that.)

Reactions: jmh033089
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.