Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought,,,,,,,,,,,,, The best road maps I have ever used are the ones the state gives out for free at the rest areas and welcome centers off the expressways. If you ask an attendant at the rest area they give them out.
They don't just show the roads,,,,,Think about it ,,, Railroads,,Rivers,, Evacuation routes,,City limits,,County borders ,,Lakes. You can estimate milage even tell a little about the terrain
I'm sure you could go out and buy special maps that may be better for bugging out.
But why not pick up a stack (bunch) I bet a map is going to be hard to find after TSHTF.
You want to tell a friend that can't use your map or just give them one of their own?
I have a map that is laminated and waterproof for me.
But you can bet I have stack of maps with the stuff I have for trading.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm with you. The best roadmaps seem to be the official state maps that are free. I collect them on my trips and keep the filed away for future use. Most states will send you a free map if you request it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
A long time ago I was a member of the AAA automobile association. They use to give out free maps to members. I still have a few of them which I occasionally use. I like the Western States map the best. I know it's an electronic age, but I still prefer a paper map.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
After you have laminated your map, use a fine point Sharpie to keep a ledger on the back of points of interest like fuel, food, medical care, pharmacies and such. Other useful info, especially with alternate routes, are bodies of water, RR and highway bridges and alternates to your alternate route should they be unavailable. Coded entries for caches, either pre deposited or deposited on the fly, etc, etc.

There is a ton of useful info you can include that makes your map useage more precise and less time consuming. If you have friendlies at your BOL, a duplicate gridded copy can be quite useful if you have a means of communication and even better if you can come up with your own one time key pads for code.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I get the topo maps from the USGS for free. I like having the topographical information along with roads, service roads and trails. They also show railroads, bridges, water, and a host of other information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts