Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SKS? AR? I think the SKS or any AR derivation can work in the home or lodge... but I worry about the weight. Black rifles need to be lighter... Some are light enough, some are not. I have a bunch and I would admit that in a mobile situation I would likely leave the heavier rifles and take my lighter weight long guns... Like: Marlin 336; Marlin 1894 (357 mag); Savage 11 (.308); and a 22. My wife and kids can each have one.
The SKS is way too heavy - even with a light synth stock. The AR is heavy too, although the S&W and DPMS with minimal techie junk is light enough to go with...

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Good point. I know I carried my Rem700sps varmint about a mile and was complaining all the way even at 7lbs and a shoulder sling. I had to carry it bushmaster style, which helped a lot. I have both a AR and a SKS, and although I love both of them to death (no pun intended), I would choose the AR since the only reason is because I'm a better shot with it. I guess it getting down to weighing all guns with accessories. Thanks, I'll be up all night! :)

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
I would not even consider the sks.
Ar has a more effective range than the ak and the ammo and mag's are a lot lighter. Parts are plentiful for both.
Myself, if forced to leave, will take an m4 carbine.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My opinion: Pick the one you can shoot well.... I'd prefer to have a young squirrel hunter from the mountains of Kentucky watching my back than an idiot with an AR or SKS. A single shot .22 in the right hands is worth more than a mountain of ammo. Weight is a consideration... but you have to balance that against need. Other considerations are finding popular ammo calibers and spare parts... some guns are more common than others. But... some guns require less care than others. No one weapon is perfect for anyone.

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
I'm a fan of the AK, no two ways about it. I'm also a fan of the AR, who can help falling in love with the weapon of their army days.
I like my little Mini-14, too. Wait, what about my bolt actions in 308 or my .22 autoloaders, or the Mauser that will reach two counties over to hit.....

Crap. I'm afraid I am no help. If it has a trigger, I like it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What about the Ruger gunsite scout. I have been looking at it and am going to buy one after the first of the year.... Ruger makes it left-handed which is a plus for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would not even consider the sks.
Ar has a more effective range than the ak and the ammo and mag's are a lot lighter. Parts are plentiful for both.
Myself, if forced to leave, will take an m4 carbine.
More effective range? According to whom? Both are 300 yd weps, hate to break it to all of the fanboys but your beloved M4 is a 100 yd wep.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
only in the wrong hands. i pick off clean on sig sauer m400 with iron sights and a scoped colt m4

any rifle you work well with is the right side arm for you. love my ruger 10/22. totally get off on my sig. its light, accurate and a real hoot to paly targets with!

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
more effective range? According to whom? Both are 300 yd weps, hate to break it to all of the fanboys but your beloved m4 is a 100 yd wep.
the op is concerned about weight, i should have said a full length 16a1 or a2, that is what i was basing my opinion on.
My reference to the m4 was for me having to leave, the m4 with 210 rounds.

I am not a "fan boy" of the m4 or any ar platform. I prefer a m-14 rifle. I suppose you will tell me the ak is just as accurate as it.
Do you want to stand out there at 400 yds and let me shoot at you with the m4 or 600 yds with an a2?

Start with the mechanics of both, forget the shooter.
Sight radius is just about the same ak-4, however 4 has a aperture sight compared to the crude open ak's, and are fully adjustable for w&e ak, not.
Ballistics, the 5.56 is flatter shooting and has a smaller mean radius. Round for round you can 30% more 5.56 by weight.

I have poly legends and norinco's also, i have added m1 carbine rear sight to them to improve the accuracy, setup is similar to the ones on my galil's.

I carried a m14 in the army and switched to the m16a1.

Where i live you will hardly ever have 300+ shots, too many trees.

As i said in another thread, at 300 leave the target alone, you are out to survive, not play john wayne and get killed in an unnecessary firefight.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
My opinion: Pick the one you can shoot well.... I'd prefer to have a young squirrel hunter from the mountains of Kentucky watching my back than an idiot with an AR or SKS. A single shot .22 in the right hands is worth more than a mountain of ammo. Weight is a consideration... but you have to balance that against need. Other considerations are finding popular ammo calibers and spare parts... some guns are more common than others. But... some guns require less care than others. No one weapon is perfect for anyone.
With a single shot rifle and a one eyed dog to boot

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
I carried a m14 in the army and switched to the m16a1.
We must have been of the same era. My stateside weapon was the M-14, my Vietnam issue was the M-16A1. Today I have a Springfield Armory M1A Standard Model built in 1994 with USGI parts. I have no desire for an AR of any style or caliber.
And why do some people cry about weight of a weapon? If a pound or two is bothersome, throw something non essential away.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I prefer lever action myself. For some reason though I shot them never felt the love for AK and AR platforms. Perhaps it is just me and I prefer guns that can shoot both black powder (can be made at home) or smokeless. Most of the semi auto weapons would jamb up pretty quickly with a dirty powder like black powder while the simpler actions will handle it all day long.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You will think I'm nuts, but I prefer a Marlin 30-30.

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
You will think I'm nuts, but I prefer a Marlin 30-30.
I think you are as sane as anyone if you are comfortable and accurate with it.

I have a host of sidearms strewn about the house, but my go-to sidearms are the 1911 .45ACP and the .357 mag wheel gun. I feel most comfortable with them. It only makes sense, right?

·
Registered
60 Posts
For each his own, but if you are looking to buy a rifle that is pretty easy to use and have lots and lots of parts and ammo is cheaper than most calibers then Stick with an AR type rifle. 30 round magazines. You can bet every other household has one so it is a quite common rifle.

here is a black friday ad for a Sig M400 with Moe furnitures which is pretty good deal as the furniture itself cost around 200 bucks.

Walmart Black Friday 2012 Ad Scan and Deals | Slickguns

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 for armyguy..... and that is the reason I have also decided to go with an AR platform for my shtf rifle. (Also have a 12 ga.... but get a lot more distance out of the AR).

Anyway... my decision is based on what is most likely to be around...... will others have .223/5.56 or will 30/30 or 7.62 or some other odd ammo if push comes to shove and there are "battlefield pick-ups" or need to get with police or nat. guard or military... I would like to have a common caliber.

·
Registered
95 Posts
More effective range? According to whom? Both are 300 yd weps, hate to break it to all of the fanboys but your beloved M4 is a 100 yd wep.
I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from. I agree that the M4 definitely has less potential range than a full-sized AR. However, I have made quite a few hits on man-sized targets out to 400 yards with my shorty AR (16" bbl.) and out to 600 yards with my standard AR, both with iron sights. I'm sure better shooters could do even better. I don't know of any rifle/carbine that is limited to 100 yards as you state...even 9mm carbines and/or .22 rifles can hit at 150 yards, or more.

As far as the OP, the lightweight of my old SP-1 carbine is exactly why I prefer my older ARs over the newer ones. Mine has a pencil-thin barrel, much handier than the current heavy barrels, and I don't have any bipods, rails, flashlights, lasers, or other tacti-cool garbage hanging off of my ARs. Just my preference.

Tim

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Rifles for "troubled times" are like Lay's Potato Chips... You can't have just one.
The AR platform works well for me... Swap the upper for situational caliber changes or just have multiple firearms with the same battery of arms.
For general small game hunting something like the M&P15-22 is a reasonable choice.
For general "social work" an AR in 5.56, 6.8 or 7.62 covers a lot of bases.
For a vehicular bug out, I'd be in the truck running interference for Missus Whoppo (driving the motor home) with the 7" AR Pistol close at hand...(yeah.. I know.. but why not plan for the worst.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Given that the M14/M1a is by far the harder hitting platform than either the AR/AK/M4 or M16 the current battle field encounter seem to be at less then 400 yards (according to a number of Marine I know)

Between the AR and the AK they all have stressed the accuracy of the AR/M4/M16 over the spray and pray of the AK out to 400 and beyond. The 7.62X39 may hit harder than the 5.56 but if it takes 5-6 rounds to get a good hit at range all you are doing is putting rounds down range.

With the advancement of M855, ATK's new MK318 MOD-0 the 5.56 Ammo has been improve far beyond what is available in 7.62x39 is somewhat lacking by todays standards in my opinion.

Karsten

1 - 20 of 32 Posts