Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I retired from the Army, a couple weeks ago I retired again. I have come to the conclusion I am not ready to quit yet.
So next week I am spending my second retirement and going back to work.
If I don't I am going to get fat and die of boredom.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I was in the Navy for 5 years then went into Law Enforcement 24 years ago. I retire in 3 years but have no intention of quitting work. I'm not looking for another career but rather something I enjoy and will not care if I take deer season off. I have narrowed it down to music store, sporting goods store or book store.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Good for you, you gotta have something to do besides just sit down and wait to die. What about full time prepping? ie.. gardening/farming and raising farm animals? That'l keep you busy for sure.

·
Administrator
15,382 Posts
I retire in exactly one year, when i'm 66. I could work 40 hours a week just doing repairs and imrovements around The Ol' Homestead.
But, limited to SS plus a small pension I'm going to have to work part time in town. Given my hot rod tendencies I will try to get a job behind the parts counter. In the three nearby towns there are two Advance Auto Parts, one O'Reilly's and one Auto Zone.
I like CSI's plan, but the music, sporting goods, and book stores are in the big city, too many miles away.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Good for you Smitty! My first boss in the computer industry (over 25 years ago) is like a second father to me now. He is 86 and still works over 30 hours per week.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wife said she will retire in two years, I will try again then she will have the freedom to take off and ride with me all we want then. The breaking point was this morning a cool 40 degrees I rode into town and stopped at McDonnell's for coffee.
Then it hit me, another month of this I will be over there in that corner with the rest of them. took my coffee to go and headed to the gun store.
I'm sick I enjoy working.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have 10 years to go but I wonder if I can retire completely. I am convinced I am ADHD (my mother always said I was just spastic) so I need to keep my mind engaged. I would like to teach golf to kids. I think I would like doing something like that.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Congratulation Smitty! Retiring is the hardest job I think I ever had to do. Even though it took me nearly 30 years to do it due to a break in service, I retired from the AF after 21 plus years active service, but immediately started looking for a second "career". That ended up being with the USPS for just over ten years. AO complications brought that to a shorter career than I had planed.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I retire in exactly one year, when i'm 66. I could work 40 hours a week just doing repairs and imrovements around The Ol' Homestead.
But, limited to SS plus a small pension I'm going to have to work part time in town. Given my hot rod tendencies I will try to get a job behind the parts counter. In the three nearby towns there are two Advance Auto Parts, one O'Reilly's and one Auto Zone.
I like CSI's plan, but the music, sporting goods, and book stores are in the big city, too many miles away.
RPD- just for reference, I have absolutely quit going to Autozone. The story I read where they fired an off duty employee for going to his vehichle, grabbing his legal firearm and thwarting an armed robbery pushed me over the edge.. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Smitty- i dont know alot about you, but I seem to remember some training you were doing? I had the pleasure of attending a ROTC event a few weekends ago, and these kids are all Awesome..I dont know how it works, but might be worth checking out?
Gongratualions on the retirement, and I wish you the best.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Congratulations, Smitty! I look forward to the day I retire. I have been working since I was 15, and when I hit 67, I am going to the house.

I have a lot of hobbies, and I have been saving my pennies for that day, so when it is time to retire, I am long gone. Then I am going fishing, riding my motorcycles and four wheelers, spending all day at the range, chasing game and sunsets, drinking a cold one while I grill a thick one, and then settling down for the night with the Mrs. and my dog....

I had a friend - worked 35 years for one company - never missed a day - he retired, and they had a big ceremony, gold watch, the whole nine yards. He went back to his office, packing his stuff and dropped dead from cardiac arrest. Left his wife a widow. He planned to make custom hand made fishing lures - saved his whole life, built his dream house to retire in, and died before he ever saw the dawn of his first day as a retiree.

Not me. The rat race sucks. When I am done, I am doing whatever the heck I want. No one else will ever own my time again...done.

Did I mention snorkeling - yeah, that too! Laughing on my way out the door...!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have been offered a buyout and it is one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I am 61 and have a decient 401k so with the buyout I could pay off my mortgage and be debt free. My insurance would be paid for and I have a few hobbies to keep me busy. But I like my job and I work three 12 hour days a week so I am off 4 days a week anyways. So is it best to retire at 61 with one years pay, or stay working for 4 more years. If I take the buyout I only have two more months to work.

·
Registered
938 Posts
At age 61, in this economy in-the-crapper, your chances of finding another job paying what you make now is pretty limited, if not non-existent.

I would recommend you keep your existing job if I were you; four more years of salary beats one year in a lump sum and unemployment in this job market.

Think it through carefully, and run the numbers. They have....

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I wouldn't quit if I was thinking of working somewhere else. At 59 you can start taking your 401k and at 62 you can start social security but at about 3/4 of what it would be if you waited until 67. Since I am in maintenance I can take the buyout and then if things don't work out, come back at a reduced rate. Basicly I would be going from $36 per hour to $24 and I wouldn't get my same job back. After working 3 twelve hour days on the weekends for the last 7 years I think I would sleep on a park bench before I would go back to 5 days a week and the stress of line maintenance . I feel like you in your message at the top of the page. I have my hobbies, motorcycle and the things I like to do don't cost that much.

·
Banned
148 Posts
My family thinks that I have been retired for years because I work at home. My wife and I have to wait until Medicare kicks in. Insurance is a problem now days. But as soon as Medicare kicks in we are out of here. Anybody that say they can’t keep busy or find anything to do when retired has no imagination.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I'm retired and it is nearly killing me. Got back yesterday from Space A trip, Germany, U.K., Belgium, France and Spain.
Me too.. How did we ever have time to work. Lol

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I have been offered a buyout and it is one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I am 61 and have a decient 401k so with the buyout I could pay off my mortgage and be debt free. My insurance would be paid for and I have a few hobbies to keep me busy. But I like my job and I work three 12 hour days a week so I am off 4 days a week anyways. So is it best to retire at 61 with one years pay, or stay working for 4 more years. If I take the buyout I only have two more months to work.
I have a friend who also was offered early retirement with severance and free health insurance until medicare kicked in. His figuring was that if he didn't take it, they might decide later to let him go anyway to lighten their load; with no severance and no insurance (the company was under new management). So he took it. Later he went back to work somewhere else because he has no hobbies and got bored. Today with obamacare on the horizon, who knows what could happen. I'd see if they will promise to pay up the insurance no matter what obama causes, or try to get it all up front. It's really murky trying to figure out what's gonna happen. Tough call.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I become un-retired again on Monday. Two years then I will pull the plug for good.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I can retire in 7 years, 1 month and 26 days but who's counting? I'll be 49 at that time but I know I can't sit around, I'll have to work even if it's only part time. I'm actually considering going into business for myself, that gives me 7 years to get the project off the ground so that shouldn't be an issue. We'll see how that goes when I start to get a little closer, right now I'm just trying to find out if it's even feasible.

Congrats on going back to work.

-Infidel

1 - 20 of 27 Posts