Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Retired Deisel Ambulance

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Beast50bmg 
#1 ·
I've been considering purchasing a retired deisel ambulance from our local auction of county vehicles. Looking at a walk through for easy access from the front to the rear. These ambulances have plenty of storage compartments for all the survival necessities and radio communications.

Looking for any insights on my thinking. Good idea? Bad idea? suggestions?

Reactions: Fuzzee
#2 ·
Sounds like a good Idea to me. as long as it runs good. Depnds on what engine it has you may be able to burn a alternitve fuel as well. It should has plenty of storage for gear and place to sleep. We are planning on using our pick and slide in camper as of right now..

#5 ·
I was thinking of downplaying the emergency vehicle look and repainting to a basic OD green, or just a solid color. I really don't want someone (government or civillian) trying to approach me seeking some kind of emergency aid when I'm trying to lay low and protect my own family.

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated.

#6 ·
3 days after apocalypse.... help i think i broke my arm and my friend isnt breathing. Look an ambulance!!! Yay!!! Wait wait. It's driving away. Where are u going? No! Dont leave me!!!! :'-(

(Just the facts): sorry bro, me and my family are stopping for no one!

Btw, as i have seen how ambulances are from inside and out. They are awesome as a bug out vehicle. They have enough room to have people laying down. Storage spaces out the wahoo. Inside and out. The nicer models have a great AC with its own generator to keep it going. Hydrolic lifts. Why didnt i think of this..... even an older model are cool. Since they are built to a certain code and safety and regulations and such.

#9 ·
Yup. Change the paint scheme. One solid plain color. Remove all of the unnecessary lights. In some places it's illegal to have the red/blue lights in working order if it's not being used as an ambulance. You could use the red lights on the rear as brake lights. They would get attention.
Most are on Ford chassis, and most are diesel.

#10 ·
I have been thinking about a flat black paint job but the original paint is in such nice shape I can't bring myself to cover it up. All the emergency lights have been disabled, blue lights have been removed. I've never been hassled or been given any grief about the paint colors. Kept the side and rear flood lights working.
Does have the 7.3l diesel non turbo with an auto, wish it was a 5 speed. Cruises down the road at 68 mph at 2000prm, gets 14-15 mpg, unless I'm in the mountains. All aluminum body, all 1/4 inch plate, very well built. Will put bigger tires on once these wear out. Has 215 75 16 now, putting 235 75 16 tires on should get me a little higher cruising speed. Runs awesome and drives down the road like a new truck.
I purchased this rig about 7-8 years ago and couldn't be happier with it. Couple new batteries and some wiring repair and its been the most trouble free, reliable rig I own. So I would suggest if your thinking about going this route don't wait. They don't come up for sale very often so do your homework and be ready to go once you find one.
Buying the ambulance got me looking at other service cars which lead to buying a squad car.

#11 ·
Watch the tire sizes. It's a dually, so if the tires are too big they will rub against each other on the rear and cause problems.

#12 · (Edited)
Now I work on a AMBO. for a living and I have thought of this before, it does have a large amount of storage and would make a great bug-out vehicle,they have large fuel tanks, and you can get them in 4-wheel drive. however the older units will require alot of maintenance and they are SLOW they have NO GET UP AND GO, so they are not a great escape vehicle of it came down to that (just some food for thought) ...... otherwise I think it is a great idea, I would buy one for my family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.