Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Rethinking the LAR with a possible ban coming

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  AquaHull 
#1 ·
I'm in the market to buy another one of those "evil" black rifles. However, with recent events and possible bans without a grandfather clause coming down the pipe, I've been reconsidering my decision and thinking lever actions may be the way to go. I have a Win 94 30-30 and love it. It's a 1950's model and still functions very well. My thought was getting a lever in 357. I'd assume that levers wouldn't be on the list and as far as longevity goes, a lever has fewer working parts than the AR15 and does not require near the maintenance. So from a SHTF perspective, and an AWB perspective, what is everyone's thoughts on levers? Love my AR15, but a weapon that requires regular maintenance, as well as rely's on magazines for ammo feeding, I'm really thinking long, long term levers and bolts are the way to go. They don't need any extra accessories and fewer parts that may need to be replaced. I suppose with a lever you could always damage the ammo tube, but who knows. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I am hoping that the S hits the F right after they attempt to pass such legislation or as soon as Obama tries to circumvent the 2nd amendment with an EO. That is to say, this is going to be the time when patriots will need "assault" rifles, and will need them for the exact reason the founding fathers insured the right to keep and bear arms is in the Bill of Rights.

#4 ·
I am with you, I just wish we were more organized. I think many of us knew this day was coming, they were just waiting for the right event to exploit. Remember what Rahm Emanuel said "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste" I am tired of all this whittling down of all our rights. There are probably 100 million Americans that could have been in that school who would have been able to stop the shooter. Yet the laws in that state wouldn't even allow the teachers to have Bear spray that at least would have given them some chance. I remember last October watching the news where a 12 year old girl saved herself by getting her mom's gun and shooting the intruder after he broke into her house and confronted her as she hid in the closet sending him to the hospital instead of her becoming a causality.

#3 ·
I had a guys at the gun range today say "If you think you need to bury your guns from the government, it's probably time to dig 'em up, because you're about to need them".
Is the massacre the catalyst to start the "end"? I guess that would depend on how you value the Bill of Rights. If they gut the 2nd, which one next. Some bureaucrats aren't about to let a disaster go to waste. I would keep the "black" rifle but then I own a black rifle and a lever gun. Two tools for two jobs. JMHO

#5 ·
After Obummer's speech tonight, sounds like an EO is right around the corner. Hope not because things will probably get really ugly in this country. I don't know when people (Liberals) will realize that all these horrific incidents occur in "gun free" zones. You don't ever hear of a gunman walking into a police station and shooting it up (unless he has a death wish). If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

#6 · (Edited)
Why is there no cry to ban the medications this kid was given that have the known side effects of these behaviors (ie mass shootings, and suicide). They sure are more dangerous then a little weed. Big Pharm vs the NRA ? Goddamn the short sighted sheeple and there inability to look at a problem beyond what is spoon fed them.

Is the massacre the catalyst to start the "end"? I guess that would depend on how you value the Bill of Rights. If they gut the 2nd, which one next
In addition: (you will see me post this alot as I believe it to be the foundation of the 2nd Amendment and why it is the 2nd and not the 7th or 8th they put into the Constitution) Id recommend reading the entire Declaration of Independence. Our forefathers were truly men that had insight that no government should be insolvable

From the Declaration of Independence:We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

#7 ·
Funny you mention the happy pills, Asteroid. I ranted a little about that on my blog (see signature below) and included a link for a paper written on the homicidal side effects of them.

Ricky, you might be more organized than you imagine. Check and see if there is a state militia in your state. Have you been networking at all, too? Don't have to answer that, just answer to yourself.
Not to late to ask questions at the gun shop or somewhere like that. Maybe even the VFW, I don't know.

#8 ·
I read your blog you refer to earlier. The paper I am informed about SRI's. Ive had docs tried to prescribe them to me and I tell them Im allergic to ALL of them. But I digress.

If you want to be more organized then yes it is time to be cautiously heard. Me I will rant and rave till the day they come to my home to take me away. As an ineligible I have nothing to win or loose in this game. If I find the shits for real I know where I stand and it wont matter at that point what ineligible means.

Alot of prejudices and preconceived opinions about large population groups would need to be set aside for a greater purpose. I don't find that unreasonable and there are several instances of it being effective to defeating tyranny in the world today. But perhaps that is turning a mountain into a molehill.

#14 ·
Paxil has the same effect in adults as it does in children. But just like alcohol I guess the warning label isnt required. Big Pharm at its finest. I think I am starting to see a picture forming here. Big Pharm is scared. The West Coast is onto Weed as the best antidepressant available as well as many other medicinal uses. Which have now passed the hyperbole litmus test. There gonna get pinched. Who has the ability to maintain psychoactive controlled targets ? Not the NRA.

Unfortunately whatever people think if the Obama EO comes to fruition then it becomes a federal issue. Look to Australia as an example of what they are hoping it will look like. Thanks Denton Im kinda raging at the moment but I have my reasons. One being Im not a sheeple.

Executive order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#15 ·
We are all seething, Brother.
We can't even take the time to mourn for the loss of the most innocent and those who tried to protect them because we have to prepare for the imminent assault on our liberties.
The likes of Feinstein and Obama are so disgusting in their manner of operations.

You are absolutely right, while Big Pharm pushes these hideous drugs that are causing so much tragedy in our society, marijuana continues to be a driving factor in the burgeoning prison population. How outlandish!

Meanwhile, we continue to prepare for coming days that are going to be anything but golden, and the government (those behind the government) is preparing to make things even worse on us.

#16 ·
I didn't see this thread before I posted in the other with you talking about your bolt-action. No is my opinion here. This is not a world anymore where a lever or bolt action is a common fighting gun. Hunting is one thing, but what's good for hunting doesn't mean it's as good in a fight against semi and fully automatic weapons and possible superior numbers. A good AR or good semi carbine or battle rifle is not hard to maintain with a little effort and you can keep it running for a long time with just buying some spare parts. Just because a rifle has less parts and needed spares, doesn't mean it will keep you alive.

#23 ·
Hoo-boy, how many side allies can we get going and still manage to find our way back? :p

Has it occurred to anyone that the old farts who through security to the wind in order to win the right of freedom and liberty didn't expect us to go this long without having to fight for those things, again? The only reason we have gone this long is because we compromised for peace, only to compromise again and again. We are where we are because of the previous compromises and lack of cultural and individual discipline.

#20 ·
Ah, according to what I read if the bill is passed as written it only pertains to guns from that point on not those already owned. In other words those are grandfathered in. Just an observation on my part based on what I've read and heard in the news.

#21 · (Edited)
If it came down to deciding to buy a lever or bolt go with the bolt as most lever actions limit you to round nose bullets, and it is much harder to cycle when lying flat on the ground, Another thing to consider is many people want the most precision bolt gun they can get, that is OK if you can keep everything clean, bullets and chamber especially, even your hand loads will have to be done more carefully as the chamber have much tighter tolerances. I would go with an old military style rifle, The Springfield 1903 precise but tighter tolerance (won't handle dirt real well), 1898 Mauser rifle not as precise but handles dirt very well (think 1898 AK-47) 303 LEE-Enfield was between the two.

One of the biggest advantages of a semi-rifle even if it's a 22 is that it can help you escape a situation by firing while retreating or trying to get to cover.

#24 ·
Buying two more AR's this week and they will never be seen again in public.

Reactions: rickkyw1720pf
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.