Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, you’re likely not prepping just for yourself but also for those loved ones around you.

I've lost friends (Good riddance to ya’ll) and I'm still viewed a little different by some family members,
because of my attitude towards prepping for the future of my wife and 4 children.

That said.

Has prepping cost you any relationships yet?

What’s the worst thing a family member/close friend said to you about prepping?

Always,
Frank

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Frank. Our little Mutual Assistance Group (MAG) has taken a vow of silence and we do not encounter any rejection or acceptance from outsiders.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Most of the family does not know, They know I have a good supply of Guns and Ammo but that's about it. The only reason they know about the guns is we go shooting pretty regularly. The rest well is just our little secret.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
We here try to inform our close neighbors and help them bit, most are older couples then us... and we try to look ahead for more then just us..we do have a plan to if things get to bad we retreat to our cabin after we do what we can for our neighborhood and older neighbors.. so our advice hasn't be made fun of nor ignored..we don't push it on peeps either. Haven't lost any friends or family over our prepping..I we had wouldn't have changed our plans..

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I come from a Seventh-Day-Adventist family of all doctors and nurses and I'm the first Marine and federal Agent in our family’s history so they are pretty used to me walking to the beat of my own drum. I really pushed the prepping on my mom because she lives alone in Pensacola, Florida and hurricanes are a real threat and I may not be able to reach her in an emergency. She is an immigrant from Denmark who lived under the rule of Nazi Germany and her father was in the resistance so she understands prepping for the unthinkable.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If it comes up in conversation naturally than I've never had much of an issue talking about what we do. I don't tend to steer conversations that way; have you ever been talking to that guy who somehow relates everything you say to their religion, and then completely ignores the subject you were originally discussing so that they can tell you how great their church is? I'm not talking about any particular religion, just any religion, but it's the same way with prepping. It's easy to become overbearing if you're warning everyone about impending doom, so I make sure I never try to force it.

I think once we find our final resting place, in a much smaller town than this one, I'm sure we'll encounter other people of a like mind. We're a growing breed now-a-days, and whether that's because of NatGeo or because of a growing feeling of unrest, I can't tell you. I just know more and more people seem to be open to the idea every day, and more and more people have new and fascinating reasons why the way we're going is unsustainable.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I have no problem talking "prepping" and do so if the topic comes up, same with politics, but since it's all personal it doesn't really matter to me how others react to the idea. A select few have been told they are welcome if they make it here great, if not there is little I can do then. I won't jeopardize myself or others if some fail to prepare or act responsible.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Has prepping cost you any relationships yet?
What's the worst thing a family member/close friend said to you about prepping?
Frank
Nope - Absolutely not. Most of the people that know me, at least well enough to care about me, know that I approach any issue, situation, problem, or topic from a position of education , research, options, and evaluation. I move with purpose and I'm very direct in my actions. I don't make decisions on a whim or in a vacuum. Those personality traits have earned me the respect of my peers and family members at least enough for them to see that when I take a direction there is usually a prudent reason why.

Having said that, I'm not an obsessive prepper either. I'm opportunistic. I live the life of a normal man with normal goals and aspirations. I spend very little of my time and resources prepping but more so than a casual prepper. Every thing I do, there is a prepper element in the back of my mind working on how I can leverage the current situation to better my fighting position.

Part of this ingrained prepping comes from years out in East Texas where you could be stuck on your own in a moments notice and then from more years on the Gulf Coast where we were impacted by several storms and hurricanes. So just like making your bed and brushing your teeth, I do a little prepping here and there folded into my daily activities in a manner so mundane most would never know that the extra can of soup I just bought had a purpose or that the trip to the Home Depot to buy a toilet also came with some extra rope and a few tarps. Those gas cans I just bought weren't for the leaf blower I just picked up, seriously who needs 15 gallons of gas for a blower?

Recently we cut our cable/satellite service. So now I have an aerial antenna on the house. It may look like any other TV antenna but I'm also running a J-Pole up there to let me pick up some scanner frequencies and other radio channels.

So to answer your question, no. Most people don't see the steps I take and the ones that do recognize them for what they are - insurance. In that light, people don't look at my actions and see me as some sort of rabid anti-establishment, pro-birther, uber conservative, doomsday prophet wack job like a lot of preppers get tagged with. So I don't catch the hate that goes with it. I'm just a regular guy, with a boring cube job, who drives a very pedestrian looking hybrid, and has normal hobbies and goes to church about 6 times a year. Nothing to see here, move a long.

Reactions: Silverbullet

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
More like "that carzy uncle Boss that lives over there". Most think we're "just a little off". But guess where they'll turn when the bottom falls out.

I come from a Seventh-Day-Adventist family of all doctors and nurses and I'm the first Marine and federal Agent in our family's history so they are pretty used to me walking to the beat of my own drum. I really pushed the prepping on my mom because she lives alone in Pensacola, Florida and hurricanes are a real threat and I may not be able to reach her in an emergency. She is an immigrant from Denmark who lived under the rule of Nazi Germany and her father was in the resistance so she understands prepping for the unthinkable.
Wow, bet your Mom has told you some stories! My mother grew up in the last years of the depression. She knows about canning, animal husbandry and growing your own food. She won't do it now though. She sets back a few cans from the grocer, that's about it. She says she's done canning food over a wood stove!

I've heard this Jewish woman speak twice about her and her husbands escape from Europe as the Nazi's were spreading. Her husband became our mayor for 2 terms and both were loved by everyone who knew them. here's a good read from her. We could learn a lot from these old folks! If we just would.
Trude Heller, wife of Max Heller.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130609/NEWS09/306090006/?nclick_check=1

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
More like "that carzy uncle Boss that lives over there". Most think we're "just a little off". But guess where they'll turn when the bottom falls out.

Wow, bet your Mom has told you some stories! My mother grew up in the last years of the depression. She knows about canning, animal husbandry and growing your own food. She won't do it now though. She sets back a few cans from the grocer, that's about it. She says she's done canning food over a wood stove!

I've heard this Jewish woman speak twice about her and her husbands escape from Europe as the Nazi's were spreading. Her husband became our mayor for 2 terms and both were loved by everyone who knew them. here's a good read from her. We could learn a lot from these old folks! If we just would.
Trude Heller, wife of Max Heller.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130609/NEWS09/306090006/?nclick_check=1
My dad past away several years ago and he lived thru the depression and became a doctor at 21. He was definitely a prepper before there was such a term. Mom doesn't talk much about what she lived thru with the Nazi's. I remember as a very young child my grandfather talking about killing nazi's with an evil grin on his face and far away looking eyes.
I never miss an opportunity to sit down with old folks and let them reminisce about the good old days. I go quite often to the local donut shop and sit with a group of old folks which I think the youngest are in their 80s. I have learned a lot from them about real history and how to do things. When I worked in DC, my favorite thing to do was go down to the WWII Memorial and shake hands with the vets and thank them for their service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts