Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Never even heard of it...?

Votes: 3 8.8%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a discussion about Cast Iron Cookware (http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...-talk/6660-do-you-use-cast-iron-cookware.html) got mer top thinking...

Does everyone know how to render fat? It is a lost art form for sure, and while it seems simple, it is a bit of an art form - especially considering that different fats render at different temps and smoke at different points. Hell, for that matter, I might not be doing it right since I was never trained on the task, I just kind of picked it up from observation.

Do you render fats? Do you know how to? How do YOU do it?

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I know of this skill, but I never learned it. Probably should add it to the list of things to learn......

·
Registered
560 Posts
So a discussion about Cast Iron Cookware (http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...-talk/6660-do-you-use-cast-iron-cookware.html) got mer top thinking...

Does everyone know how to render fat? It is a lost art form for sure, and while it seems simple, it is a bit of an art form - especially considering that different fats render at different temps and smoke at different points. Hell, for that matter, I might not be doing it right since I was never trained on the task, I just kind of picked it up from observation.

Do you render fats? Do you know how to? How do YOU do it?
I grew up on a farm and we slaughtered hogs every year. And as part of this we rendered lard, smoked our on hams and ex. The big trick is to keep it from getting to hot and smoking. We check the cracklings often and when they are ready the fat is rendered. We then pull it from the fire and poor it into a SS vessel for cooling. The cast iron stays hot much to long for me.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Basically separate the fat belly,back and kidney area.
cut in chunks add a small amount of water slow cook,simmer until cracklings settle out. they should be soft light color
filter allow to cool a little put in containers.
Save cracklings to make cookies and potato sausage .

Reactions: GTGallop

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I haven't done it in a long time either. Not difficult. Actually every time you fry bacon, you are rendering the fat out of the bacon. Strain it and save it in the fridge.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I haven't done it in a long time either. Not difficult. Actually every time you fry bacon, you are rendering the fat out of the bacon. Strain it and save it in the fridge.
We have a nice big jar of bacon grease that we use almost daily to season something.. I like to put it in the bottom of a cast iron pan as I do some cornbread. And when I cook my eggs I ALWAYS use bacon grease..mmmmm I keep it in the cupboard though with my other oils and seasonings.

·
Registered
560 Posts
We have a nice big jar of bacon grease that we use almost daily to season something.. I like to put it in the bottom of a cast iron pan as I do some cornbread. And when I cook my eggs I ALWAYS use bacon grease..mmmmm I keep it in the cupboard though with my other oils and seasonings.
My wife couldnt cook without bacon grease.....

·
Registered
21,097 Posts
I've never rendered fat on a whole animal but I've boiled some meat to render the fat prior to cooking. The fat rises to the top of the water and you can spoon off the fat. Is that the same thing?

Regarding bacon fat, after we cook bacon we freeze the grease. When we need it we take the container out of the freezer and break a chunk off when we need it. This AM I started some blackeyed peas and collared greens and broke me off a chunk of frozen bacon grease to start my peas and greens. No mess and works fine.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
This AM I started some blackeyed peas and collared greens and broke me off a chunk of frozen bacon grease to start my peas and greens. No mess and works fine.
Bacon grease for plants? I have never heard of that. What does it do?

Edit: Mrs Inor informed me you were cooking them, not growing them. - Nevermind.

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
21,097 Posts
Bacon grease for plants? I have never heard of that. What does it do?

Edit: Mrs Inor informed me you were cooking them, not growing them. - Nevermind.
:oops:

Sometimes we Southerners say the darndest things! I awoke early and started the daily cooking, hence I "started my peas and greens" for cooking. I almost said "I was fixin' to start my peas and greens" but being the sophisticated redneck that I am I caught myself. Thank you Mrs I for helping.

Hope everyone had a great start to 2014!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
:oops:

Sometimes we Southerners say the darndest things! I awoke early and started the daily cooking, hence I "started my peas and greens" for cooking. I almost said "I was fixin' to start my peas and greens" but being the sophisticated redneck that I am I caught myself. Thank you Mrs I for helping.

Hope everyone had a great start to 2014!
Part of it is my fault. We started a tomato plant last October from the seeds we collected from last summer's batch to see if it would work. It is presently growing in a pot in the living room. It has been fun watching it grow every day. With our normal garden plants we just look at them and water them every couple of days, so I have never watched one grow this close up before. Anyway, I have plants on the brain right now. :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Part of it is my fault. We started a tomato plant last October from the seeds we collected from last summer's batch to see if it would work. It is presently growing in a pot in the living room. It has been fun watching it grow every day. With our normal garden plants we just look at them and water them every couple of days, so I have never watched one grow this close up before. Anyway, I have plants on the brain right now. :D
Be sure and thump the blooms.......

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Did some in April, rendered down about 2 pounds worth of lard.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Okay if that's considered rendering fat then I am doing that now. I keep a small stainless steel coffee pot type container on the stove and just pour off the grease left over after cooking some bacon or sausage. When I get ready to cook, just pour a little in the pan and get to cooking. Its just something I saw mom and my grandmother doing and thought everyone down south did that...monkey see - monkey do, I guess.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Rendering lard it is very important not to get it to hot. You are not cooking with it but melting it.
Lower temps and watch the cracklings they should not be frying they should still be light in color and soft when lard is melted down.
Long as we still have power pour into molds remove when it hardens store in freezer.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
To completely render fat you have to take what you get after removing the cracklin's, filter it and simmer it in water to remove all the small pieces out of it. Then you let it cool to harden the fat and remove the fat from the water. The last step is warming the fat to over 212F to get rid of any remaining water. Then you can put it into a jar and use it.

Rendered fat it what I use in the kitchen. We have some Crisco somewhere but it will be fine in the back of the pantry. You can can it or freeze it and it will keep longer but if it's rendered properly it keeps for about six months on the counter. (it rarely lasts that long around here)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts