Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking more and more about taking what few belongings I have and going solo. Possibly North West Territories or Alaskan wilderness. Only real issue is I cant go without an internet connection. Mostly so I can text and keep in touch with family, email, and ebooks. Power isnt an issue. I have seen remote wilderness outposts and such with a connection but I cant for the life of me find any info on how its done. I figure its sattelite. Any techies that can give me some thoughts on how it can be done ? Thanks again !

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Hughes Net provides much of the consumer satellite internet in the US. it is expensive and not really reliable unless you pay more and upgrade . Sometimes the only option for you. Over sea in middle east we used SEGOVIA they were outsatnding
WIFI offering from companies that set up towers on building or water towers offer much better pricing and seem to be reliable . Not nearly as fast as cable or DSL but expectable. Down side you have to be with their canopy.
Living where I do those are my only options I did Hughes net for 5 years then dumped them. Been on the WIFI system 4 years now. Some good news is new technology is coming that will make the WIFI system even better by a long ways, down side the change over will not come quickly due to cost.

For information on HughesNet in Alaska, call Alaska Satellite at
1-888-396-5623.

Satellite Internet, HughesNet Gen4 High-Speed Satellite Internet Provider

Reactions: Blackcat

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
I agree. I had satellite internet at one time and it was not as reliable as cable or phone lines.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently have satellite where I live theres no hard lines that come out this far. I dont find it bad for my use as far as reliability goes but it just barely picks up a signal. Thats why I was wondering about extremely remote satellite type systems. If I do decide to go bush lol :p

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Ham radio will support E-Mail if you are looking for contact only. If you need more like news sites, family photos, face book then you are pretty limited.

Reactions: Blackcat

·
Registered
637 Posts
I use the personal hot spot on my phone, with an internet signal booster. Works pretty well, not well enough to watch movies or video clips much, but plenty for mail, news, shopping, etc. Coverage maps show that there is none in my area, so I think I'm doing OK with this setup. If I need to download a large thing (as you can see, I'm really on top of this computer stuff), I try to remember to do that during a once a week or two trip to town, free WiFi at the saloon.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I currently have satellite where I live theres no hard lines that come out this far. I dont find it bad for my use as far as reliability goes but it just barely picks up a signal. Thats why I was wondering about extremely remote satellite type systems. If I do decide to go bush lol :p
They range from barely working to outstanding The difference COST the more you pay the better it gets. And they get away with it because they are the only game in town. Same equipment make a call pay a bit more they hit a button and your service get better instantly .

Reactions: Blackcat and Slippy

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
I second what Smitty is telling you about Hughesnet satellite Internet. If memory serves, we have the "latest and greatest" that Hughesnet offers (I think they call it Gen 4?) and I pay around $100/ month. If you stream videos or music a lot, or download large files often, Hughesnet is not for you. We had a cheaper package (about $70/mo) for a while but we would hit the max allowable service toward the end of every month and the last few days of the month we would have very limited service.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I have hughesnet because it is my only option other than dial up. It is a ripoff. You do not get what you pay for and they know that. As soon as the contract is up I will be ditching them. My phone is faster and more reliable than the satellite. Cheaper as well. If Alaska has cell service I would go with that route. You can use the phone to run a connection on a pc or laptop.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I have hughesnet because it is my only option other than dial up. It is a ripoff. You do not get what you pay for and they know that. As soon as the contract is up I will be ditching them. My phone is faster and more reliable than the satellite. Cheaper as well. If Alaska has cell service I would go with that route. You can use the phone to run a connection on a pc or laptop.
I went with Hughes Net when they were new in the consumer market. At first while a lot more expensive it worked and was fast enough. A year into it the declining band width stated. Soon after downloading any updates for anything your were down to slower than dial up. They offered free downloading updates a 3am for like an hour latter, but it seems the system was also down around that time. Even if you shut the system off you never seemed to regain your band width.
They always had an answer pay more and that would get you all you need, but it never seemed to work that way. Weather outages happen but at the price you were paying they should not have. You latter found out that if you PAID more they would up the power settings and it happen less often. For awhile. Then they wanted more money.
Then of course GEN1,2,3,4 and each time they wanted you to buy the new equipment that never worked any better than the old stuff. When service was bad they blamed your alignment and would require you pay $100 for someone to come out and align it. Any one can do it with a simple lap top for free. It was never out of alignment.

Reactions: Blackcat and Slippy
1 - 11 of 11 Posts