Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that my wife and I are out of Chicago area and down in northern Tucson, we finally found a house. With only 11 inches of rain a year and 99% of that comes in monsoon season, I need to really look at water storage. The house we've chosen is right next to a good sized wash and from the aerial views I've looked at, the wash should be a good way out of Dodge is the SHTF. Won't be able to use a car in the wash, so will be looking at a couple of quads with small trailers. The area we picked seems to have nice people and all and fortunately it not super populated. Can't wait to get our furniture and "stuff" down hear. The house is a little smaller than our old house, but my wife is letting me use the smaller bedroom for storage and the computer room. We met a couple of the neighbors so far but now I have to start feeling them out about preparedness. Wish me luck.

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
Good luck my friend.
I do not know if you already belong to any veterans organizations, but I personally find good oportunities to network with solid men there. Once I rule out the drunks, that is.;)
I took a quick look and there are 6 VFW posts in Tucson, 10 American Legion, and one Vietnam Veterans of America (my favorite organization :mrgreen:).

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck my friend.
I do not know if you already belong to any veterans organizations, but I personally find good oportunities to network with solid men there. Once I rule out the drunks, that is.;)
I took a quick look and there are 6 VFW posts in Tucson, 10 American Legion, and one Vietnam Veterans of America (my favorite organization :mrgreen:).
Thanks for the advice. Used to belong to Legion but found it to be an old boys club of heavy drinkers and if you didn't act like them you were ostracized, so I dropped out.

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
Try VVA. I have never visited a chapter that even has a bar. I don't drink myself, and prefer not to be around it.
Welcome To Vietnam Veterans of America on the left margin will be a link to find a local chapter. I have been a member for 30 years.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Try VVA. I have never visited a chapter that even has a bar. I don't drink myself, and prefer not to be around it.
Welcome To Vietnam Veterans of America on the left margin will be a link to find a local chapter. I have been a member for 30 years.
The VVA in Mount Clemens Michigan ,downtown on the Clinton River has a well stocked bar. Or at least it did in 2006 the last time I was there.
I moved 200 miles NW to Newaygo

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
No listing for a Chapter in Mount Clemens anymore. Must have either withered away or done something to get their charter yanked by National.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Congratulations sir! ::clapping::

Mrs Inor and I have been following your AZ posts religiously since we are living vicariously through you right now.

Reactions: PaulS

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
That's a little creepy Inor.......... "...since we are living vicariously through you right now"

but I liked the post!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
That's a little creepy Inor.......... "...since we are living vicariously through you right now"

but I liked the post!
Not at all. Mrs Inor and I have been trying our hardest for the last 2-3 years to relocate about 50 miles from where Paraquack is right now. We have the land. We have the well. We know there is water there. We even have the final plans for the house I am going to build. Unfortunately, every time we are about ready to pull the trigger and sell our current house, something comes up that keeps us in MN for another 6 months or a year. :-(

Paraquack and a few of our "real life" friends in the area allow us to at least keep the hope alive.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Put your house on the market - it will take a while to sell and you can trust that the timing will be right. Have some faith. :)

Reactions: Inor

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our house was on the market for less than a week when we got an offer we were willing to negotiate on. Settled on a price on day 8 and had the money in our pocket in 7 weeks.
The place we have a contract on will close in 5 weeks. It can and will happen for you. We started talking about moving around 2 years ago and it finally happened faster than we ever thought. My biggest problem is learning prepping for this area.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That's part of my re-evaluation. I know absolutely nothing about this area. Fortunately a friend of my wife's (has been down here for about 10 years) has a son who hunts, etc. and sound like he might be of the same mind. He lives out of town in a trailer with his girlfriend. I've also found a "group" on the Internet in the Tucson area. Once I get settled in, about 6-8 weeks I will get going in earnest. For now, my BOV is my motorhome. Full tank of fuel and water, and about 3 weeks of food, plus a few other necessities under the bed and in the safe. Since you're in AZ too, I'd very much appreciate any info and suggestions you would care to throw my way. With only 11 inches of rain in the Tucson area per year, a big priority will be water storage. Supplies will arrive with the storage containers fairly soon. I'm kind of shy of this group on the Internet but... The satellite views of the wash look like a quad could drive it to stay off the roads a much as possible but I may be dreaming. As I said, I have to learn a lot all over again. The difference between Illinois and here is remarkable. I spent time in the high desert of CA in USAF but now... And it isn't the dead of summer yet!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Good luck. It took me 2009 to 2103 to build the house in NV. Of course 2 months after finishing it I get a great contract back in CA. My wife isn't ready to retire to the house yet and didn't mind changing residency (legal) with me, but we still spend most of our time in CA.

Not at all. Mrs Inor and I have been trying our hardest for the last 2-3 years to relocate about 50 miles from where Paraquack is right now. We have the land. We have the well. We know there is water there. We even have the final plans for the house I am going to build. Unfortunately, every time we are about ready to pull the trigger and sell our current house, something comes up that keeps us in MN for another 6 months or a year. :-(

Paraquack and a few of our "real life" friends in the area allow us to at least keep the hope alive.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Not sure if Church is your thing. Ours actually developed a prepper group.

Shooting ranges are a good place to meet up like minded folks too.

Congrats, that was a big move. Mine was 5 hrs on the road and I thought it huge.

That's part of my re-evaluation. I know absolutely nothing about this area. Fortunately a friend of my wife's (has been down here for about 10 years) has a son who hunts, etc. and sound like he might be of the same mind. He lives out of town in a trailer with his girlfriend. I've also found a "group" on the Internet in the Tucson area. Once I get settled in, about 6-8 weeks I will get going in earnest. For now, my BOV is my motorhome. Full tank of fuel and water, and about 3 weeks of food, plus a few other necessities under the bed and in the safe. Since you're in AZ too, I'd very much appreciate any info and suggestions you would care to throw my way. With only 11 inches of rain in the Tucson area per year, a big priority will be water storage. Supplies will arrive with the storage containers fairly soon. I'm kind of shy of this group on the Internet but... The satellite views of the wash look like a quad could drive it to stay off the roads a much as possible but I may be dreaming. As I said, I have to learn a lot all over again. The difference between Illinois and here is remarkable. I spent time in the high desert of CA in USAF but now... And it isn't the dead of summer yet!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I won't be much help to you. We live in two completely different kinds of desert, and I'm surrounded by mountains.
I will say you should prepare for temporary power outages. Ones that might last a couple hours to a couple days. Also, that wash is there for a reason. You may never see water in it, then too you may. Average rainfall you mentioned is a weird thing also. Remember how averages work. You get 5 years with no rain and 5 years of 10 inches your average is 5. The newest thing these people like to do is replace average with the word normal. Makes it look like there is less than there should be. It's a mind trick. There is no "normal". After a couple years of watching monsoons and thinking about it you'll understand what I'm saying hopefully. I will suggest you figure in a way to make shade and a way to carry water.. You'll also need to stay warm at night. I realize 74 degrees doesn't sound cold to you, but when it's 115 during the day, 74 will indeed be chilly.
It snowed a couple years ago down where you are. And I don't mean on Mt. Lemmon.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My biggest problem is learning prepping for this area.
That does seem like quite a challenge until you realize that humans have lived here for thousands of years - with out all of the modern conveniences. Can you imagine AZ with out AC or running water? Yet people not only lived but thrived. If you study our states history you will learn that greed weakened them and mother nature killed them all off. We must find a harmonious balance more so here than anywhere else.

When you get a chance (around February if possible) take a trip up north of the Mogillon (Mow-Gee-On) Rim. Go to Woods Canyon, Strawberry, Pine, Greer, Prescott, Payson, Flagstaff, Chino Valley, Sedona. Some where near one of these places. You will learn there is an INCREDIBLE diversity of challenge and resources in the state. The trick is mastering them.

Then for Shizz-n-gigs come up to Phoenix or Bullhead City around July or August.

It will blow your mind that it can be 20 degrees one morning and then 60 miles away and 6 months later it will be 120 with night time lows still in the 100s.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Just remember that any day away from Chicago is like a day WITH sunshine.

Reactions: PaulS and indie
1 - 20 of 21 Posts