Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I acquired several thousand pieces of .223 / 5.56 brass that were picked up from the range. The vast majority of them are great. I cleaned them up,full length resized them, and trimmed them up. The ones that looked banged up bad or had bent rims got thrown out.

They are generally once fired brass.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
My range cleans them up and puts them in a brass barrel, not sure if they get re-loaded by club members or sold as brass, the steel gets separated and tossed. Local DMRO, or whatever they are called now and LOTS up for auction, 5.56, 9mm, 45 etc, I thought about bidding on them... but I don't have a re-loader, or time to do that!

Rancher

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
But you might one day. I have the components to make a bunch of bangs if I need to. I generally don't have time now but if things got bad enough I think I'd find the time.

For now, I primarily reload for precision rounds and not bulk ammo.
Personally, I doubt I'll ever have both the time and money to reload. I certainly have the money today, but never enough time. I can go to work for just a few hours and MORE than pay for the difference between factory and reloads. Range time would disappear if I reloaded.

In coming years, I may have a boat-load of time, but by then I won't have any money.

·
Super Moderator
9,381 Posts
What KUSA said. I give the cases a good once over before wasting my time, but 99.9% are in excellent condition.
It's gotten to the point now where I only deprime, resize and clean them and put them away for a future use I hope I never need

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I got a 55 gallon Barrel of 5.56 once fired LC brass and about a 1/2 barrel of 7.62x51 once fired LC Brass in addition to what I pick up on the range. While most of the range pick up stuff is once fired might want to be careful and watch for signs that your getting close to case head seperation since there aint no sure fire way to know if its once fired. I usually seperate it by case head stamp and military or commercial loads. Mil spec ammo usually has thicker brass cases and less powder capacity so you do gotta work up loads for it and load it slightly milder. Mil Spec brass will also have staked primer pockets and you will need a tool to swage the crimp out when processing the brass after punching the primers out. I know folks who use standard dies to do those jobs with but its best done with tools specific for just those task and you will break less pins punching the primers out. Ask me how I know about that...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Most of my brass is gotten from the range. This "I don't have time to reload" is nuts. I have a fairly stressful job and reloading is therapy. Sitting and drinking that morning coffee can be done at the table or at the reloading bench. The amount of money saved is a bonus. I pay $23.00 for 6.5 Grendel I reload for $6.00, 9mm I pay $12.00 a box reload for $5.00, 45 acp I pay $27.50, I reload for $6.50 a box. No brainer to me.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Other than 22LR I haven’t bought a box of ammo in years. I have a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm range brass and a ton of 223/556 casings I picked up off the ground. I like to hit the range right after the local police practice with their AR15s. The police use quality ammo so those casings are like finding gold nuggets. And my local club hosts a Glock shoot every June. I usually score 300 to 400 casings after the shoot. If I were greedy I could gather 3 to 4 thousand.
As for time to reload...... I save my reloading for winter time when I can’t be outside working. Fire up the coal stove. Turn the radio on low. A fresh cup of coffee. And before ya know it ya got 300 fresh rounds to fire off come spring time!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Range brass is always kept separate from brass that I know the history on. Like other reloaders here, I decap, clean and inspect thoroughly. Anything suspect is pitched. I reload processed range brass as a reduced load for plinking and general practice. You never know what some people will do on their own reload bench.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I guess I am really fortunate. Brassman brass is local to me. He goes around to the different police ranges in the west and disposes of their brass for them. He then sells it on the web. This is once fired high quality brass. I usually go get 3-4 thousand from him and keep myself stocked up. My grandkids love to come out to the bench and reload with me. It is quality time. When they visit, one of the first things asked is what are we reloading? They are still real young and love the idea of "You Shoot It You Eat It" with something they made. My 9 year old grandson wants his own reloading set up for Christmas.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Straight walled pistol brass I check and reload all the time. Now higher pressured rifle brass I won't take the chance on range brass.

I agree with the others my reloading time is during the winter. Not much else to do when it's -20 and 3 feet of snow on the ground. Fire up the wood stove and head for the nice warm basement. Guy can read and watch TV for so long. Plus I can load ammo the way I want and not settle for what the manufactures make. Different bullet weights and powder combinations.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Range brass is about all I reload with!!! I cast my own bullets as well. It saves money big time and it is relaxing therapy! The wife gets mad, I go out to the side room of the garage I call the war room, load some Van Halen and AC/DC into the box and go to town.
The firearm I reload the most for currently is my 9x18 Mak CZ 82. I can burn up serious ammo at the range with that doing drills. I have my reloading down to .06 cents per round, powder and primer is all I buy. Oh and I powdercoat my bullets I cast as well. I can push them to jacket velocity with no leading of my barrels or lack of accuracy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I clean and sort brass. Been reloading since 1977. I sell off excess brass after I clean and count it. I keep my brass in two grades, target and batch brass. Target is the best grade for personal use. Batch brass is general use I load in 300 to 500 round batches for general shooting like 9mm, 38 special. The target brass is divided into lots, then color coded, all the same headstamp. Target brass is trimmed after every sizing to maintain accuracy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It used to be the most ranges around my area would sort brass and sell to those that reloaded (you usually are allowed to only pick up your own.) These days it all goes to scrap. :(
I mostly reload .44 Special and .45 Colt with a bit of 9mm and 38 Special/.347 Magnum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts