Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new on this forum and relatively new to prepping and I was looking for some help from the more experienced crowd. I am 15 y/o and live in Upstate SC. I've been prepping for around a year now, but my parents don't have a clue. The reason I haven't told them is that I was watching some Preparedmind101 videos on YouTube and my dad came in and was said, "You don't do any of that stuff do you? People like that are crazy and overly pessimistic." Then left. So I doubt I'd get support from him or his wife. My step dad and mom know and are neutral because they think it's just one of my "teenage phases" and that's fine. But anyway back to what i have. I've got a remington 700 in 30-06, a remington 870, and a ruger .22lr revolver with around 100 rounds for the long guns but about 600 for the .22. I'm looking to upgrade the .22 pistol to a ruger 10/22 but that's later. Food wise I've got around a month of stored food as that's all I can hide without anyone knowing (dehydrated stuff). Water I have enough purification to purify around a couple thousand gallons of water but don't have any stored (space again.) I have numerous bk knives and enough fire starting material to start 200 ish fires but I can always use natural stuff. Shelter I've got a Eureka Solitaire tent and Military Modular Sleep System (MMS). My bug out location is a run down pond house and the 300 acres surrounding it my family owns around 2hrs away, full of deer, turkey, fish etc. I'll be able to drive soon alone when I get my restricted so I can start transporting water and food to the pond house. Sorry for the incredibly long first post, but I wanted any and all suggestions on what I can do to improve my preps. Try not to be overly critical, but be truthful.
Thanks, Cross.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Welcome young man, from Florida.
Sounds like you are on the right track.
Don't worry about your folks, they will come to you when the time comes.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Sounds like you are doing one swell job for such a young age and by yourself.

You might be limited on financial resources, but what you can certainly do is hard core education. Hunting, gathering, gardening, etc., knowledge is something you can gather. "Innocent" gardening will get you acquainted with the soil.

Oh, and respect your elders. No matter how much they don't understand about this, they are still who they are. :)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Welcome from Ionia county Michigan. If you are looking out for only your self you have a fantastic start. Hang in their every one has differing ideas on what prepared is.

Seeds for a garden and practice at growing one is dull proper business. Certainly not fantastic like stock piling ammunition. However believe that the early settlers did not have multiple weapons stock piles of ammo a bug out bag and para cord. They had learned knowledge on how to get by with very little. That is the most important prep of all.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota. I wish I had half your sense when I was twice your age! :) Great job!

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

You have a much better start than the majority of the country. It doesn't look like you can do much more simply because of space. Alterego is correct on seeds. Seeds require little space and are not that expensive. Do some research and find out what grows well in your area. Don't forget about herbs and spices. I would stay away from genetically altered seeds as these are not meant to reproduce. Find Heirloom Seeds. Again do your research as not all companies stating they sell heirloom are actually what they claim.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! and sorry I should know this but what exactly are heirloom seeds?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Where can I get heirloom seeds?
There bunches of places. Some will even let you trade seeds you have for seeds you do not rather than buying them for cash. One place that we have bought a bunch of stuff is:

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future

They are very reputable although a bit more expensive than other places. I also noticed that our local home improvement store carried a line of heirloom seeds from Burpee last year. - Go figure...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my favorite seed store: Heirloom Seeds | Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co

Maybe you could hone skills for self defense and hunting in addition to guns so you have more options, such as archery, trapping, etc.

And welcome!
I also have a Bear compound bow which I'm proficient out to 40 ish yards to that I didn't mention, 70lb pull so it'll kill just about any animal in North America and are there any self defense classes like Hand to hand combat classes that wouldn't frown upon a 15 year old training there?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Several of my children and their spouses realize that prepping is cool and have bug out bags to get to my ranch location when it hits the fan.

For self defense classes there is only ONE that I would recommend

Target Focus Training » Push the boundaries of self-defense and become a master on your own terms.

Everything you need to know about "survival" hand on hand combat that you can learn in a few hours.

Trust me this is the real deal
Does it cost money? I'd rather have a one on one trainer if it costs money. (Limited budget and I want all I can get for the money)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Bows are great! I just got my first, a traditional longbow and it's a real blast. So naturally I think everyone should have a bow now. :lol:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Does it cost money? I'd rather have a one on one trainer if it costs money. (Limited budget and I want all I can get for the money)
Anything worth anything cost something, I paid $27 for the entire package, not bad.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Anything worth anything cost something, I paid $27 for the entire package, not bad.
Rancher -

Is that the Tim Larkin book? I downloaded a free copy of it about a month before he started charging for it. I do not know if he updated it and then started charging for it? The one I have is about 250 pages and seems pretty good.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts