Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been to the REI store? I say avoid it. I was shocked at how expensive it was.

I don't have a problem with a company making a profit, but these kinds of prices are crazy.

The exact same tent that I purchased elsewhere for $45 was selling for $159.99.

Almost every other item I had at home was 50-100% more expensive than what I paid

·
Super Moderator
9,073 Posts
Hey, come on. A guy has to make a fortune doesn't he. A friend told me about REI. I did a quick search for Esbit fuel and found 3 other sights way cheaper.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
REI is a fine place, but it isn't our kind of place. They cater to the upwardly mobile hipster urbanite that likes to drive a Beemer and go canyoneering and eats granola. They have a strong anti 2A stance and do not support hunting either. They charge an arm and a leg for their yuppie gear and it isn't that strong in most cases. I'll pass. I like cheaper, stronger gear that isn't intermingled with bad politics.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In my experience, retail stores, especially specialty retail stores like REI, are usually more expensive. The reason why is that the people who work there usually have some level of knowledge and experience that can inform your purchases. I have shopped at several REIs (and EMS and Cabelas) but I rarely buy things there unless I need something I can't get anywhere else. I luckily live close to the only retail store of Campmor, which usually has very good prices and the people that work there are very helpful.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ya it's a yuppy store, but they do have a few good deals in there. catch stuff on sale or end of life product. I would not shop there regularly at all but I browse in there every once in a while. you also can use it to try before you buy. Go in there find what ya like and than go buy it on line cheaper, now with that said I would not do that with a Mom and Pop store. if your going to buy local try to support those who matter more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts