Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my fiancee are looking to get (back) into archery. Has been MANY years since either of us has shot. So what bows/exuipment do ya'll recommend? And any instructional media is also helpful.

·
Registered
102 Posts
best starter compound bow I bought was a PSE single cam Nova. I can recommend it in a heart beat. I can also recommend a Hoyt, which is my current bow, but is more expensive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yesterday I bought a new (2011) Bowtech Soldier 26/65#. I did a lot of research before buying it and this was one of three similar under $400.00 that I had settled on. it adjusts from 23" - 29" of draw length and from 40# to 65# of draw weight, so it'll address small game and fishing as well as deer. I came with sights, a quiver, stablizer and I put a NAP Apache drop rest on it to replace the factory Quiktune rest, but otherwise it was 'Hunt Ready' at purchase. I still need to do a paper-tear tuneup to tweak in the rest. I'm psyched.

http://bowproshop.com/bowtechsoldier.html

They state lower draw settings in the above ad than are factory recommended for this bow. You can find full RTH setups at around $360.00

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought my daughter a Parker at big R last years model for 1/2 price. It was 230.00. They have adult bows too for just a little more. If you have a big R I'd go look.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cygnus - Is the Parker a compound, recurve or long bow? I'm always amazed at the recurve and long bow instinctive shooters. I have a 45# Greatree Goshawk, but so far the technique escapes me. Young girls seem to do well at it. I wish I had started when I was younger. Years of relying on sights has made the shift to instinctive a challenge.

Dropy - What bows (styles/makes) have you looked at? Many people mistakingly look at target bows with the intention of using them to possibly hunt with. Quite often a target bow will not hunt well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes it's a compound. She has a bear youth compound bow now she is on the money as far as tagst shooting goes. But the bear would be iffy on a rabbit. This Parker goes to 50 LBS so it legal for elk in Colorado. She really wants to shoot an elk.
She is 13. Perfect age to start elk hunting.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like she's on the right track with the Parker... best of luck to her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.