Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I collect heavy-duty fresh produce cardboard boxes that they discard at a grocery store. I choose same-size for stacking (various sizes depending on what I intend it for).
I find that they are good for canned goods and jars or bottled like various pickled vegetables. Some boxes can easily fit tall bottles/jars.

I label what's in each box (labels facing out to better see it), and stack them up depending on what item is used more often and the weight - from heavy to lightest on top (for easy lifting when I'm getting something out, or putting something in).

The boxes don't sit on the food items, but are propped by very sturdy corners (the boxes are made stacking sturdy for travel, and to protect
the fresh produce from bruising).

I have them stacked 4 boxes high (which isn't very high) that I can add more if needed. They save a lot of space.

I have older stocks of often-used items (the ones that has to be used first) in my pantry, so I don't have to dig up into the boxes every time.

Products that bugs like and could get into like flour, oats, rice, potato flakes, etc.., are in plastic bins, strewn with dried herbs like cloves, oregano, bay leaves - the smell repel bugs.

Cardboard boxes of various kinds are being offered for used in some grocery stores in lieu of plastic bags now. Some stores - even WalMart - don't do it.
If your store don't do this,maybe you should try talking to a fresh produce manager and ask for them.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hi all
Once again: sorry for any confusion due to my english skills

I am limited in rooms and free space for storing food at home.
Is there any recommended way to fill those boxes? At the moment I have some mixed boxes with things like noodles, rice, try fruits, instant meals, etc. So every box is a mix of different food items.
I find it gets harder to do rotation when my items are mixed up.
When you have accumulated a lot - it also gets harder to look for items.
It really makes it easier to organize them when you have the time.

To start, put soups together, canned vegetables together, packaged spices and mixes together, assorted beans together, etc..,

Later on, you may even put specific soups and specific items together (like Beef soup all together, pork and beans all together, plain beans all together, carrots all together, etc.,).

And when you really have acquired quite a variety of stockpile, you can simplify it further, like I have separate boxes each for smoked sardines, pink salmon, tuna, sardines in tomato sauce from Vietnam (Grace brand), sardines in tomato sauce (Brunswick)....etc.., The challenge is to find a space for them in your place. Caouflaged them, as what others had suggested is best in your situation. Put old books on the forefront so anyone who sees the box would think it's a box full of old books! Or, old clothes.

I've got a stack of boxes in the old shower that's not being used anymore, and the very top, I placed old magazines. I put other junky-looking stuff on top. I check where it would show any canned stuffs through the boxes, and I covered them by inserting paper.

In a box that has beef soup dated 2022/2023 as an example - to easily know at a glance which item has to be used first, I either write on top of the cans with markers the Best Before year - or, put on the label which side of the box has to be used first. Needless to say, group together same bb-date items in that box.

I can't stress enough the practicality of labelling what's in a box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts