Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a side arm. Not for concealment but rather a side arm for after TSHTF
I guess I'm sort of old school I like the 1911s. But I can't decide between a 45 or 9mm
What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I agree that a Glock 21 is a good choice provided you never want to conceal it. I did, and I was miserable. That thing with an extra magazine was wayyyy too much gun to tote around. I would never rule out a full size 1911 or an H&K USP .45 either. Great gun.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I suggest if you're only going to carry and use FMJ than go with .45acp. If you're going to carry hollow points than take advantage of the higher capacity you can get with 9mm. Both are very common, but 9mm is heavier used by more people these days. There are excellent pistols in both, just decide what direction in calibers you want to go and than get out and try as many as possible of the choices out there, so you can find what fits you and your needs best.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you want a 1911...then there is really only one caliber to get it in...the one it was originally designed for, the 45 ACP.

Advantages

Its going in a half inch in diameter and even if your unlucky enough for it not to expand, its coming out an inch in diameter! There doesn't really seem to be all that much difference in .355 to .451 on paper, but stand a 45 Ball round on its base next to a 9mm ball round on its base and you tell me which one you would rather be shot with! The size difference is considerable to say the least. Now do the same thing with an expanded Hollow Point ammo from each round and ask yourself the same question?

If they outlaw your high capacity magazine like they did in New York, it wont effect your 8 shot flush fit stash of magazines. In your Hi-Cap 9mm...your likely to find yourself at a considerable disadvantage. What do you want to defend yourself with 8 rounds of 45 ACP or 8 rounds of 9mm. Bigger may not always translate into be better but in this case I would be willing to take my chances.

The other aspect where I feel the 1911 is superior to other guns is all the safeties that are on it. Grip Safety, Thumb Safety, means that unlike a Glock, if I get into a scuffle or loose control of my gun unless you know how it operates you cant just pull the trigger and fire it. That might buy you that precious extra second you needed to regain control of your gun or to pull a back up and make it count.

When it comes to accessorizing it...its the Ruger 10/22 of the hang gun world! The accessories out there I promise will let you built or modify a gun that will surely fit even the most disconcerning hand gunners taste or needs, real or percieved. Can you do that to a Glock, a Sig, a Beretta or S&W?

Disadvantages

The ammo cost a bit more...more mass more lead = more cost to produce. Take up reloading!

Limited to 8 rounds unless you want the mag to stick out below the grip or you want to spring for a Paraordnance or STI "wide body" which will give you 14 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. The way I see it if you needed more than 15 rounds of 45 ACP to solve the problem you should have been running not fighting!

Now before all the Glock Fans gang up on me, I wasn't always a 1911 Commando. I always felt they were over priced and over rated and I was never impressed with the ones we had in our armory (150 of them). But one day at the range after the AWB of 94 was in full effect and finding pre-ban mags was almost impossible and cost you dearly when you did find one for sale, I tried the instructors 1911 after shooting a 582 out of a possible 600. Not only did I commence to shooting a score of 597 out of 600 but I found it felt better under fire than even my wonder 9 did and I shot a lot better with it. Since I make a living carrying a gun, I bought one myself less than 5 days later and its the only thing I carry for self defense unless I am in bear country which is not very often. The more I use it, the more convinced I am I made the right choice!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you like 1911s, go with a 1911. Plenty of good options out there. I have a ParaUSA GI Expert and a Sig Sauer Scorpion, and I love thm both. Stick with .45, as that's what they were designed for and run best on. Plenty of very good .45 JHP loads out there too. I'd recommend Federal HST or Winchester Ranger Bonded/PDX-1.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Neither, I would go with 40 S&W since so many PD are using it. Get a Glock 22 and you can get a spare barrel in .357 Sig which is a better round than 40 S&W, 45 ACP or 9mm.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
They are both good rounds IMO, and fully capable of doing what needs to be done, the 45 ACP round is much bigger, and thereby more stopping power. But since you have the name "Budget" in your handle, be advised the 45 ammo cost about 70% more than 9mm. One thing I consider when buying a caliber is if ammo gets really really hard to find how easy would it be to find ammo for my firearm. The 9mm and the 45 ACP are both common rounds and IMO makes them both good choices considering being able to find them during extreme ammo shortage.
EDIT
Giving some thought to my post, I figure I had better edit it, when I speak of ammo shortage I am thinking of after SHTF and thinking no ammo is longer being massed produced, this is opposed to what we have been going through where there is a run on ammo. The second being the case the more common rounds go off the shelves first (ie 9mm 45ACP,.308,223....ect) in that case having a "common" round is a disadvantage.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
How much experience do you have is also a concern because a 1911 isn't a beginners pistol. The Glock is KISS simple. For a beginner the glock is far superior.
You are right to a point, but that is why we prep, so we will have the experience when we need, so either choice made now would be good I would think. The idea of trying them out before hand is great and practice after that is important. Choose what you like that works for you and don't look back. Buy lots of ammo that feeds good in what you choose.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Just buy the Glock and a few mags and forget the 1911. I'd say a Glock 20 in 10mm with 15 rounds. Yes I've owned a bunch of 1911's, until I started shooting the Glocks. Sold all of them. Couple years ago I would have never thought about those plastic pieces of junk. But a well informed neighbor enlightened me and changed my train of thought.

Now before everyone of the ole guys get their feathers all ruffled up let me explain. Your looking for a survival/self defense gun right. WHY do want anything with a grip safety, thumb safety and only 7 rounds capacity. Just more stuff to go wrong when it counts. Is the safety on or off? Do I have the grip right so it will fire? WOW 7 whole rounds before another reload. C,mom really.

Now the Glock 20 in 10mm. Point at the target and pull the trigger, that's it. It's pretty easy in a life or death situation. Plus you have 16 rounds, one in the chamber and 15 round mags. 25 round mags are available if that isn't enough, modified Glock 21 mags. No need to argue 45acp or 9mm vs the 10 mm. You'll never get a 45 up to the power level of the 10mm, custom reloads or factory ammo. Glocks can be found new for the low $500's. You can buy 2 for the price of a "good" quality 1911.

I know it may be a hard pill to swallow and admit that there are better guns available then the good ole 1911. IMO

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
If I had to do it all over, I'd probably go 1911 45acp. That being said I feel comfortable and comforted with my Glock 19. A 124 gr Gold Dot Jacketed Hollow Point +P is a great round for the G19,the Ranger 127 gr JHP in +P+ has ballistics close to a 357 125 gr JHP.

For SHTF I have 124 gr Precision Delta JHP's in front of 4.3 gr of WIN 231, which happen to work well in the CW9 and CM9 as well.

It's light and fast vs slow and heavy in the 9 vs 45 age old topic. A bigger hole drains more fluid though.

Another thought, I don't need a gunsmith to keep my Glock running. There's a lot to keeping a 1911 going, not bashing them,but you need to know how to do it or have a gunsmith in your clan. Not a regular smith either, a 1911 smith.

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
I simply prefer big bores. The smallest caliber I carry for personal protection is 357 magnum. I have either a 5 shot J frame 357 or a 5 shot 44 Special snubnose in my front pocket everytime I leave my property.
I also like the 44 magnum round. And in 1911's (the only fighting autoloader I own), all four of mine are 45 ACP. And what's the big deal of magazine capacity? Does anyone carry just one?
If I was younger I would most likely have a Freedom Arms Single Action revolver chambered in .454 Casul. Ya don't need 14 rounds of that to get the job done.
In the interest of full disclosure, I do own one 9MM - a Walther P-1 as an example of a P-38 for my WWII collection.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts