Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a discussion with a neighbor regarding gun control. I wasted my time & effort. The ignorance of the general public astonishes me.
The reality is that YOU are responsible for your safety. Any no matter what you always have the right and duty to defend yourself.
If you assume you can rely on law enforcement to protect you because you always have your cell-phone handy you are seriously mistaken. LEOs try their best to respond in time but far too often it's impossible.
Guns aren't evil... stupid people that use them incorrectly are.
If you are not proficient with a firearm, take a safety class then become intimately familiar with them and practice. When the time is right, buy one!
Imagine if you had to live with the guilt of watching a loved one raped and/or murdered while you stood by helpless.
It isn't the cops fault for not showing up in time, it's yours! You ARE the first line of defense. Wake up and do something about it before it's too late.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Yep I have a sister in law like your neighbor. She hates guns to the point I have to hold the ones promised their kids. We gotta wait for her come to Jesus meeting ( real one ) before that happens. It's funny I was in LE when she joined the family, she knows my background, and every now and then she'll say something, oh you don't still have guns do you? She is stupid serious. Next time she comes over I'm going to break out the M1A for a nice cleaning :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's amazing how some people can think that nothing bad will ever happen to them, or if it does they will be helped before anything truly bad occurs because they're good people and don't deserve bad things to happen to them. Criminals insisting they can do whatever they want because they have a gun, they will do whatever they want unless the threat of death deters them. If everybody including law enforcement had such a negative view on guns and didn't use them, the criminals still would use them. Owning a gun doesn't make anybody a good person but it doesn't make anybody a bad person either. The reality is that the person's intent is what makes the gun a bad thing. Coming from a country with strict gun laws, I can safely say that if it's not guns that people possess to commit crimes, it's simply knives or any other tool they can use as a weapon. I can also safely say that in the few short minutes it takes for a person to shoot or stab you, I would not be relying on the twenty minutes or so for help to arrive should somebody have been around to call the police. I can't understand the attitude, especially when you have children. If words and reasoning is your best defence against violence, prepare bandages for everybody around you.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I find no disagreement with what has been posted.
No jab at LE but all they do is show up for paper work most of the time, just the way it is.
This we shall defend does not apply only to the flag but each other.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
On tv the good guys always get saved by LE just in time. The only thing I can come up with is that people believe this is how it will happen to them. They don't have a clue. In my burb they police strive for a 6 minute response time. In most cases, depending on the situation, this could be way too late. The 2nd thing they usually believe is that bad things only happen to other people.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Most with never change their mind. If they told you the true, they would tell you that you are one of the gun crazy people. They are the very ones that agree with gun control. But when the SHTF they we be the very first ones ask for your help. My answer will be ( old just wait on the LE's, they be here sometime. Now get the hell of my property.)

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
On tv the good guys always get saved by LE just in time. The only thing I can come up with is that people believe this is how it will happen to them. They don't have a clue. In my burb they police strive for a 6 minute response time. In most cases, depending on the situation, this could be way too late. The 2nd thing they usually believe is that bad things only happen to other people.
I think that the TV shows are all part of the brainwashing / dumbing down of the English speaking world.

·
8,986 Posts
I have the same problem as Ripon, with my sis-in-law. Very intelligent woman, a real big shot where she works. Gone thru the reasons I have a firearm and why my wife has one. I thought maybe the idea of my wife being pro-firearm, might at least give her an open mind. But no, Worse yet, she has bought into the anti-gun people's lies and such.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Alot of people's attitudes is dependent on how they were raised or where. Some end up with partners in life that live the way most of us do and it becomes apart of thier life, and some don't ever change that way of thinking.

Even in this rural community I live in, there are anti-gun people. What kills me is it's a "city folk" kinda thinking. Raised up in the country and poor, if you were to eat, you killed something. In the cities..you went to the nearest food stamp office or food bank., thier food comes in a can or a box. In the country....food comes covered in fur/fins/feathers or dirt.

Which leads to alot of the attitude.

I've had discussion with women that I worked with that transplanted their whole families out here, killing anything was deemed, "Aww, how could you kill Bambi?" or "You eat what?" Which led into discussions of guns. I'd say 90% of those transplants have never held a gun in their lives, and don't want too. I've offered to take them shooting, and even hunting with me. And a shake of the head no, was the typical answer.

Just like here recently. We have new neighbors that are from a large city on the west coast. The first time the lady walked into my house she encountered 2 guns sitting behind the front door and another 2 on the other side propped against the wall...along with all these deer heads on the walls along with Turkey Fans. I had to giggle. Her reaction was strong and full of dislike. My thought was.."Ohh well, go back across the fence and stay there." Later on in another discussion she asked about LE....I laughed again and explained to her that they were far and few between on this end of the county and it could possibly take upwards to an hour for them to show. She asked, "What do you do if you have someone try to break in?" I simply replied, " We're gun owners, they can try but they won't like the end results..." The look on her face was priceless! Hell yeah I'd shoot someone...

These new neighbors are college educated, but it doesn't make them smart in the sense of guns or self-defense and with they way they have lived in a SHTF scenario, they'd be S.O.L in a heartbeat. I have a feeling that the new neighbors and we...will not get along in the end. We fire guns in our front yard, we shoot bows off the front porch, and I don't intend on changing the way we live to suit a transplant that come into my world. This is the way WE LIVE...deal with it!

So....I'm anticipating our first.."you need a gun" conversation that I know will be a topic soon to come. I'd bet money they don't own one, and not looking to invest in one.

I'm sure I can't change the way they think, don't intend on it. But they need not come knocking on my door asking to borrow one either. Our guns aren't for hire or loan....

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I carry a gun, because I can't carry a cop No, seriously there is a media war going on against gun owners, and they will say anything to impose their will. Main stream media even want to make gun ownership a racial thing, suggesting only people pro-gun are poor uneducated white ********. Remember how these anti-gun people say we have the blood of innocent people on our hands because we don't agree with them?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here's a quote that put's it plainly,

You may not own a gun, that is your right.
You made not believe in God, that is your choice.
But the first two things your going to do when someone breaks into your home to harm you is,
1. Call someone with a gun.
2. Pray they get there on time.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..If you are not proficient with a firearm, take a safety class then become intimately familiar with them and practice. When the time is right, buy one!..
I know zilch about guns, .22's seem fairly popular in America but I can't understand why, as I'd have thought something bigger such as a .38 or 9mm would have more stopping power

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I fasten my seatbelts, I have insurance and I carry a gun. I do them all because after you decide you need one of the three it's already too late.
So, just in case, I protect myself.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I know zilch about guns, .22's seem fairly popular in America but I can't understand why, as I'd have thought something bigger such as a .38 or 9mm would have more stopping power
I keep a 45 auto next to my bed, I started to buy a .380 for a carry pistol, however someone pointed out a 9mm is bigger and the ammo is cheaper, I found this to be true and bought one.
edit; I also bought a 22 auto because it was so much cheaper to shoot, least it was before the big ammo shortage.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Try this one on her,

Warren Vs. The District Of Columbia
"The court stated that official police personnel and the government employing them owe no duty to victims of criminal acts and thus are not liable for a failure to provide adequate police protection unless a special relationship exists."

I had to look it up but I knew there was a lawsuit over it. Most police agencies strive for decent response times but let's face it no matter how close they are it's going to take time to get there. Goes back to the old adage when seconds matter help is minutes away. In no way is this a dig at law enforcement, it's just impossible for them to be everywhere at once.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yep, we love our .22's, but when it's time to get serious we think more, or .45, .40 S&W, 9mm, .223, 308, 12 ga, etc. A .22 isn't the first choice for a defesive gun, but given a choice of nothing or a .22, I figure I'm a good enough shot it's gonna hurt when it hits. I might not hurt for long though...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was told that a .22 was about as lethal as you could get to some extent. The bullet enters and ricochets it's way out hitting numerous areas with one shot, where anything larger may go straight through...

I may be wrong..and if I am, feel free to correct that. I haven't bothered to look it up or find a guniea pig to try it out on...lol

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I was told that a .22 was about as lethal as you could get to some extent. The bullet enters and ricochets it's way out hitting numerous areas with one shot, where anything larger may go straight through...

I may be wrong..and if I am, feel free to correct that. I haven't bothered to look it up or find a guniea pig to try it out on...lol
High veleocity 22s like the 223 are more prone to changes in direction and bouncing around but the rimfire 22s will follow bones under the muscle. They are exterior lubed bullets so they tend to deposit that and whatever is on the bullet with it as it travels. 22RF leaves a crooked and dirty trail so they are most likely to get infected - doctors hate them because to clean the wound they have to follow the bullet with a scalple and brush.

I would rather kill quickly than wait for infection to set in. The only place that infection is a reasonable goal is on the battle field. It takes two people to care for the injured soldier and it is demoralizing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts