Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Shotlady - once you get into it, it's fun. After a while you can picture the terrain in your mind by studying the elevation lines carefully. If you plan to use them for bug out route planning they would be of great value.

I started back in the '60s with depth maps for fishing. They are topo maps also, only under water.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's ALL we had in Nam.
[And a compass]

Reactions: HVU

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Shotlady - once you get into it, it's fun. After a while you can picture the terrain in your mind by studying the elevation lines carefully. If you plan to use them for bug out route planning they would be of great value.

I started back in the '60s with depth maps for fishing. They are topo maps also, only under water.
They are the perfect thing for figuring a bug out route as they show railroad tracks, Gas lines, power lines and other features that could be used to stay away from the main roads even many natural places that can be used such as caves. They show many of the hiking trails through state and national forest. A fun hobby that has emerged is Geocaching where people had items and you get clues and with a GPS try to find them, children love it and it is a good way to use your gps and mapping skills.
Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

·
Registered
21,643 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Id like to learn how to read maps.

who has one that could do a quick tutorial?
I used these sites to help teach my Son ... but of course nothing is as good as practical application. The hardest part is learning to adjust for the difference between true north and magnetic north of course, and knowing how to make the adjustment on the map. (Declination)

How to Read a Topographic Map | The Art of Manliness

Magnetic Declination

I learned the Army way and have used Topo maps to hump around all over the world my entire life - we Army men tend to pride ourselves on our ability to read maps.

I still had a hard time getting it to sink-in with my Son when he was 12. He's got it now though and he can read one with the best of them.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I used these sites to help teach my Son ... but of course nothing is as good as practical application. The hardest part is learning to adjust for the difference between true north and magnetic north of course, and knowing how to make the adjustment on the map. (Declination)

How to Read a Topographic Map | The Art of Manliness

Magnetic Declination

I learned the Army way and have used Topo maps to hump around all over the world my entire life - we Army men tend to pride ourselves on our ability to read maps.

I still had a hard time getting it to sink-in with my Son when he was 12. He's got it now though and he can read one with the best of them.
Fun to get dropped in an area and have to figure out where they dropped you and then how get get out Without the plugger or DAGR . Plugger may predate a few of you :)

If you want to know
Precision Lightweight GPS Receiver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fun to get dropped in an area and have to figure out where they dropped you and then how get get out Without the plugger or DAGR . Plugger may predate a few of you :)

If you want to know
Precision Lightweight GPS Receiver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hell, back in the old JOTC days before they made it all politically correct they would drop us in and we'd have to take straight-line plots to ORPs from the DZ in order to make it back there in time to eat.

And if you've never seen a topo of the area around the Gatun DZ, right near the mouth of the Chagres, then you should, it is something to behold. The elevation lines are so close together they almost run into each other and what they don't show is how thick that jungle is and how many black thorns there were along the way. Makes the rock pile look like a flat, featurless playground.

A topo map is a fun thing to look-at for those knowing what they are looking at. You'll be looking at the thing and see something that makes no sense to anyone else and you'll go ... "oh, we gotta go that way. I gotta see what that looks like in person."

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Hell, back in the old JOTC days before they made it all politically correct they would drop us in and we'd have to take straight-line plots to ORPs from the DZ in order to make it back there in time to eat.

And if you've never seen a topo of the area around the Gatun DZ, right near the mouth of the Chagres, then you should, it is something to behold. The elevation lines are so close together they almost run into each other and what they don't show is how thick that jungle is and how many black thorns there were along the way. Makes the rock pile look like a flat, featurless playground.

A topo map is a fun thing to look-at for those knowing what they are looking at. You'll be looking at the thing and see something that makes no sense to anyone else and you'll go ... "oh, we gotta go that way. I gotta see what that looks like in person."
Been there done that soldier. And the simple plan the fight is that way go.
Had a soldier tell me one time he just could not picture what a spur was, So I road march the company cross country 5 miles to show him one.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought topo maps of my area from amazon. i was in a maintenance unit in the army, i always did our map reading classes, i loved doing the map courses lol.
i left Iraq as a contractor in 2010 no one uses maps anymore lol they all use the blueforce trackers which is basically a military tomtom. i honestly never even saw a map over there and was there for over 2 years lol. i think map reading may be a lost art soon. i just msn'd my son( a young Marine and asked him if he learned map reading. he said he learned map reading in boot

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
ahhh anthony. what a beautiful name. i have an anthony. he is just perfect and the nicest dood ever and not a bad shot. i love my sweet perfect little guys.
i know you are just as awesome, ya?

Makes you proud , my oldest son in the Master Gunner in a unit I was 1SG. I think he likes correcting my hold when I shoot and explaining they new ways of thinking on marksmanship. Him and his bother are in the same Company right now.

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco
1 - 19 of 19 Posts