Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to add a long range rifle to my ketch. Somthing that wood reach out past 500 yards and use those skills Uncle Sam spent so much money on. I have been undecided wheather it wood be a 308, or 30-06. Thought about other calibers but had realy cut it down to those two. I had almost decided that a 308/7.62Nato would be the right choice because of ammo availibility. BUT now that we have a ammo shortage I have noted that where I have looked there are still 30-06 rounds on the shelf.

conventional wisdom has always been that NATO calibers would always be available but there what's not around.

Looking around locally whats on the shelf "Rifle" 30-30, 30-06, 7mmMag, .270, 300 mag, 45-70, "Pistol" .45Colt, .44 Rem mag,.44 special, ..40, 10mm,
May have been a few others but these seam to be aways around. What was definatly missing is .22lr, all 9mm, .45apc, .223/5.56nato, .308,

·
Registered
28 Posts
.308 is a round that is in great demand so that is something that you could think about. 30-06 is a super round and is capable of a 500 yd. shot with proper equipment and practice. I happen to love the 30-06 and am seriously thinking about getting one. I am looking at the single shot H&R model, looks like it would be a great rifle, granted it is a one shot rifle then reload but hey. 223 and 5.56 are being bought up as fast as they can get on the shelf. If you dont mind buying mil-surp get a Mosen Nagant 7.62x54R which is equal to the .308. I have one and can hit a 12" gong at 300 yds open sights. There are alot of good calabers out there, just do some research and choose the one that you think would be right for you.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Remember in Russia when SHTF much of the stored up ammo and weapons were on the streets in days. Same thing here all the Ammo and the weapons DHS is storing up may not be so secure.
Employees may very well help them self on the way out the door so Military rounds 308,9mm, 5.56 could quickly turn up on the black market.
If you have no rounds for the weapons is useless

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am in this same dilemma at the moment, it's a want more than a need. I am really leaning more too the 308 but think I am going to sit it out till the storm blows over and things get back to normal.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Do a little reading on the ten or 12 most common cartridges ever.

.22, .223, .243, .270, 30-30, 30-06, 308, 7.62x39, 9mm rem 7mm mag will all be listed.

I hope to have each of these some day.

At meijer or wall mart, these are almost always their, now we have a new phenominon.

I had recently looked for .308, and had found only 30-06 and .270 which was fine. any of these rounds are capable of 500 plus with the proper equipment.

The truth is you do not need to shoot deer at 500 yards. The vast majority of the time, you will not be able to find a place to practice shots at these distances unless you live in the western states. Here in Michigan, it is difficult to find a place to shoot 500 yards and sight in. I have 420 at my house, and that is a fun to shoot.

308 availability is definatly limited in my area right now, .243 2.70 30-06 and 30-30 are available every where. Cheapest at Meijer, I got some Federal rounds for 15.37 a box of 20

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you do any reloading, the 270 is one of the most versatile rounds to work with. I’ve developed everything from a 90gr Speer Hollow-Point varmint round to a stout 150gr BTSP long range deer load. I’m sure the same could be accomplished with 30 06 and others, but I can testify that the 270 is a highly accurate and broadly useful caliber.

My main rifle (for more than 18 years) has been a Winchester Model 70 All Weather. That rifle and that caliber make a very sweet package.

·
Registered
570 Posts
.308 still has my vote. Yes, it's hard to find right now, but it is still out there, and the ammo would be compatible with any future battle rifle or DMR style rifle you might be interested in. Next vote would be .30-'06.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you herd of the multi caliber incerts?
Google it , I don't have tiime at the moment.
You can get sub caliber for a .30 cal.
Such as .308 in a 30-06
.22 LR in a .223
410 in a 12 ga. etc.
The shotgun incerts are also avalable in centefire calibers.
Savage made a fourtenner for the 12 ga. it was about 18 inches long and incerted liks a long shell in a side by side.
Savage still makse a fine .22 / 20 Ga and a 12 Ga with a 30-30
Check Mel Tappins writing on survival from the 1980s.
Good luck and just remember a 30-30 in an experienced persons hands is way more effective than any semi auto in a spray and pray entusist hands.
I like my .300 Savage too.
As well as my 1860 .44 is a dandy too. If I miss the smoke and fire are enough to scare the crap out of what ever is down range.
Funny thing is the first gun I carried was an 1858 Griswold and Gunnison made by High Standard in .36
I was old enough to enlist but too young to purchase a M 19 Smith and Wesson 2 1/2 inch. That was the one I had my eye on in 1972.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blinddog I have one of H&R's single shots. The Buffalo Classic in 45-70. It is my go to rifle most of the time. There may be a few more H&R singles in my future.

I have a low serial number springfield 03a3 based on what I have read and been told this rifle had inconsistencys in the heat treating of the reciever and is generaly considered to be unsafe to shoot. This is the rifle in my inventory that I'm replacing. A long range bolt gun.

This dosent have much to due with shooting deer. I usully shoot deer with a homemade Longbow from less than 10 yards. I Spent 12 years in the USMC (12 times rifle expert) Primary Marksmanship instructor ect,ect. I love shooting long range. Some how the rifles that I have accumulated are mostly under 200 yard guns. 30-30, 45-70, I even have a Savage modle 99 in 308 BUT the 99 is not capable of sub-MOA groups. and I am.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Go over to the CMP's website and fill out the paperwork to order yourself a surplus M1 Garand. When you place your order make sure to order up some Greek M2 Ball ammo and enbloc clips for it while you're at it. This will give you a 30-06 gas operated semi auto rifle that will reach out to 1000yds (the rifle is capable even if the shooter is not) which is also capable of rapid fire. Greek M2 Ball ammo is fairly cheap and non corrosive. As an added bonus your new rifle is also a piece of history that you can shoot and parts are readily available for the M1.

-Infidel

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Don't worry, the ammo is coming out, again.

The .308 is the round I like. It will keep its punch for as far as I need, and it keeps a flatter trajectory. That makes it a good choice for me.
I wasn't bad with the M-21, so I figured I would stick with round in a Savage.
Either round will get you dinner, so happy days for you.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Im using a Remington 700 VLS in 308 winchester and its awesome to be sure. But right now ammo just really aint too plentiful, even the premium loads. The 30-06 still makes a lot of good sense though. If your a hand loader you can easily see gains over the performance of the 308 and in some cases that approach hot on the heels of milder 300 Win Mag loads.

I wouldnt over look the 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and if your a reloader the 264 Win Mag that can be built on any action jambered for the previous two. Both are long range flat shooting numbers and there are outstanding bullets available for all of them. All will reach out over 600 yards with more than enough power to pick up the check so to speak. Question is do you have the skill to use them to their limits?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just traded an AR for a ptr 91. It is ths same caliber as my sps tactical so interchanging from .308 to 7.62, not the other way around due to charge, i think. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I want the correct info.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have been stockpiling ammo since 2006, so I can ride out panics.

I keep one rifle in .30-06 (M-1 Garand) just because all the newbies focus on NATO ammo when they stampede, so it is often overlooked and forgotten; hence, it is still available on the shelves.

The M-1 Garand is totally old school, but if it was all I had available, it really can get the job done. I would trust my life to it, it is absolutely tough as hell. .30-06 still can RULE.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts